Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times

Advertisements

Anyone go to school while collecting unemployment? Isn't it such that you can't collect unemployment if you go to school? So what if you take night school so you can look for or work a day time job ... - they still will disqualify your unemployment for going to night school / so you basically just have to LIE / HIDE that you're not going to school?

And then never fill out in your taxes for that year that you went to school?

Anyone ever collect unemployment and went to school? - Or maybe you don't wanna admit this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,989 times
Holy moses!!

To answer the headline. Yes, you can go to school while collecting U.C., but it cannot interfere with your ability to work! So, if you are taking evening classes, this should not be a problem, unless you turn down an evening job!

Can you go to school and collect U.C. if you are part of the dislocated worker program? Yes, you will get a waiver!!

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
depends on the state, in Florida you have to work 20 hours a week min.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Sorry, but i disagree. It doesn't depend on the state.

Unemployment states you must be available for work! That means available, not aw shucks i am in school, can't do this or that, because it interferes with my classes.
You will find this standard in almost any state U.C. site you look.

But there are ways to get around it. For example, I explained that in my field there were very few jobs as a legal secretary at night, this convinced them! But it was an issue!!

Basically, as long as you can prove that you are available for work, then you will be okay. If you are collecting Full-time unemployment, they want you looking for a full-time job. If you are collecting, part-time unemployment, at the minimum, they want you looking for a part-time to full-time job. Unemployment is not there to supplement your income, but to be a stop gap, until you get back working.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM

173 posts, read 968,066 times
Well, in 2004, the state of NJ had a "tuition waiver program". I actually knew someone who had the state pay for her bachelor's degree and she did collect at the same time.
I think the reasoning is a college education is like work and you need money to live, but I don't know the exact reason.
It was only waived at public or state institutions, so Princeton was out of the question.
She even told me they were paying for graduate degrees.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM

Actually, even now they have a job waiver program. It is not tution waiver but "look for a job" waiver program.

It started under Clinton, if I remember correctly. It is to train people who have lost their jobs and their fields no longer exist or dried up. They get to be retrained at Federal expense. It is usually no longer than 2 years!

There are other subcategories for young people who have not had a job, have no college and are interested in training. The training has to be directly related to a job!! Not go to school for four years and hope to have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
Well, in 2004, the state of NJ had a "tuition waiver program". I actually knew someone who had the state pay for her bachelor's degree and she did collect at the same time.
I think the reasoning is a college education is like work and you need money to live, but I don't know the exact reason.
It was only waived at public or state institutions, so Princeton was out of the question.
She even told me they were paying for graduate degrees.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
One reason many people do not take out unemployment while students is that they are still officially marked as dependants on their parent's taxes, which means they can't file. If you want to get money for doing nothing, get a job with a company that pays for school and take classes at night - don't immediately look for a handout from the government

Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 AM

False! If you work!! and you get terminated through no fault of your own, you are legally eligible for unemployment, whether or not you live with your parents or claimed on their taxes!! As long as you meet the requirments for Unemployment compensaiton, then you are eligible!!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 264,061 times
So what if you are taking online classes? can you still collect? You can do the online class anytime so if offered a job it would not interfere with school?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Sorry, but i disagree. It doesn't depend on the state.
Wrong answer. (Well there's a surprise. ) It does depend on the state. Some states will allow you to collect u/e while attending a state approved training program that will give you a better chance of finding employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment