Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM

42 posts, read 87,272 times

Advertisements

I had to file a new claim (NY) today because my benefit year ended (bye) to continue on the extension. I filed online, and now it says I have to call to complete my claim. I worked 2 days in that time for a temp agency, but that was it. I wonder if this is the reason I have to call to complete the claim?

This is for the extension, and this has happened before. I have been unemployed on and off since October 2007, and so I have had to do this before. Except, every time the BYE comes around, regardless if I have been on an extension, they ALWAYS change something. Also, regardless of when I file a new claim, they always keep the BYE date in October, because of my original claim in 2007. That makes zero sense to me. If you start a new claim, the BYE should be from that date, not from a previous claim.

I still have NEVER collected 47 weeks of extension benefits from a 2007 claim. It was the maximum amount, and because I worked a few low paying temp jobs, part-time jobs in that time, and one permanent job were the office closed after six months, they changed my extension amount by 1/3 of what I received before.

The DOL claims that you have 99 weeks, 73 weeks, etc, however, if you have multiple claims, they revert back to a previous claim, or a new claim once the bye comes around. This is in NY State. I never ever did receive ANY of the 47 weeks from the 2007 claim, that was the maximum payable amount. NY does everything to change payment, and they use the BYE date as an excuse to s(crew) you out of additional weeks.

Also, when I was on the 2007 claim extension, they sent me a letter almost every 2 weeks telling me they were going cut off benefits (laws, etc), so I grabbed a part-time retail job and went on food stamps. And I still never received any of the 47 weeks of extension.

I'm wondering why they want me to call this time?

Last edited by Jess987; 10-14-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
I had to file a new claim (NY) today because my benefit year ended (bye) to continue on the extension. I filed online, and now it says I have to call to complete my claim. I worked 2 days in that time for a temp agency, but that was it. I wonder if this is the reason I have to call to complete the claim?

This is for the extension, and this has happened before. I have been unemployed on and off since October 2007, and so I have had to do this before.
Everyone in every state has to recertify their claim at their benefit year-end in order to continue on EUC.

NY is administering your unemployment benefits exactly as every other state does.

Calling to finish the recert is necessary in NY and NJ and some other states. Some states process online recert apps online, most others require you call. No biggee there, either.
Quote:
Except, every time the BYE comes around, regardless if I have been on an extension, they ALWAYS change something. Also, regardless of when I file a new claim, they always keep the BYE date in October, because of my original claim in 2007. That makes zero sense to me. If you start a new claim, the BYE should be from that date, not from a previous claim.
No, it shouldn't. If you've worked during a benefit year and are laid off before your bye, you reopen the old claim. The earnings you've had during that benefit year establish eligibility for a new claim when the current benefit year expires. Most states do not open two new state claims in the same benefit year. So, you may think you should have a "new" claim, but it doesn't work that way in NY and most other states.

Because you've worked during your benefit year(s), you always qualify for another new state claim at your bye in October. If, instead, you had been able to work for an extended period - say several years - and then lost employment in June, your new claim would begin in June.

In other words, you've never stopped claiming long enough to change your October exp date. That is WHY your claims keeping expiring in October.

Quote:
I still have NEVER collected 47 weeks of extension benefits from a 2007 claim. It was the maximum amount, and because I worked a few low paying temp jobs, part-time jobs in that time, and one permanent job were the office closed after six months, they changed my extension amount by 1/3 of what I received before.
NY - NEVER - reduced your extension amount by one-third. NY either opened a new claim for you at a lower amount - OR - reverted to EUC from an earlier, lower-paying claim - which FEDERAL EUC RULES require that NY (and every state) do.
Quote:
The DOL claims that you have 99 weeks, 73 weeks, etc, however, if you have multiple claims, they revert back to a previous claim, or a new claim once the bye comes around. This is in NY State. I never ever did receive ANY of the 47 weeks from the 2007 claim, that was the maximum payable amount. NY does everything to change payment, and they use the BYE date as an excuse to s(crew) you out of additional weeks.
NY does nothing - repeat - NOTHING - to s(crew) you out of additional weeks."

All EUC (federal) payments are governed by USDOL rules for EUC administration. EUC is federal money paid according to federal rules.

EUC rules require that STATE BENEFITS be paid BEFORE federal benefits.

Therefore, NY must test for a new state claim at your bye, and/or quarterly, and/or when you transition to a tier for as long as you - and EVERYONE ELSE - is collecting EUC.

If, because you've worked, you qualify for a new state claim, by federal law, NY must pay those state benefits first - unless the new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than your earlier parent claim benefit and that parent claim has a bye of July 24, 2010 or later. Then, under PL 111-205, NY will defer payment on the new state claim until EUC from the higher-paying claim is exhausted.

Put your energy toward something more constructive other than anguishing over what NY is and isn't doing to you - based on unfactual and erroneous beliefs on rules governing payment of state and federal unemployment benefits.

In other words, stop blaming NY.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

42 posts, read 87,272 times
Ariadne22 sorry if I offended you in any way. This has been my experience with NY dol and the unending unemployment issue. I do blame NY State. One of the reasons I lost a good job was because of State regulations, and everybody in my office lost their job.

Maybe you should take a job with NY DOL rather than spending your energy here. I never came to this forum in all these years, however, I have read this forum before. I have some things to offer seeing how I have went through this, and many experiences, but people that have such self-importance in forums, and like to control and scold, is one reason I hate sharing my experience in forums.

I do appreciate your explanation though,and I understand what you're saying about BYE. I was fortunate to even find temporary or part time work in NY. Many people don't. I really don't need to be scolded and have been through enough. That is not what a forum is for.

I am told different things by the DOL agents, and most of them don't know that much and tend to give bad info. This is why I dread even calling them. I avoid calling the DOL at all costs. I am NOT blaming NY, and I can assure you, I put my energies into many other things. This forum is something I just came to post on recently and most likely will not be back.

Last edited by Jess987; 10-14-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment