Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 19,651 times

Advertisements

Just can't seem to find a clear answer on this...

My Illinois unemployment benefits are expiring soon. Will 13 or 20 additional weeks be made available and, if so, do I need to do anything (apply, etc.) or will I receive these additional weeks automatically? Is there ANYTHING I need to do to get these additional weeks? I sure don't want to neglect any possible steps and miss out on these extra weeks.

I have been receiving benefits since approx. April/May 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,773,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin6908 View Post
Just can't seem to find a clear answer on this...

My Illinois unemployment benefits are expiring soon. Will 13 or 20 additional weeks be made available and, if so, do I need to do anything (apply, etc.) or will I receive these additional weeks automatically? Is there ANYTHING I need to do to get these additional weeks? I sure don't want to neglect any possible steps and miss out on these extra weeks.

I have been receiving benefits since approx. April/May 2020.
If regular UI benefits are ending and your benefit year is still valid you should get the PEUC automatically. PEUC is the 13 week extension. If benefit year is expired as well as benefits exhausted the PEUC guidelines have stated claimants need to file new claims first to see if eligible for a new UI claim. If not then claimant would be put on PEUC. Normally for most states 13 week extension dollars won't show up in your claim balance online but will by the phone automated system. You usually have to claim your last week of UI and then within a few days the $$$ are reflected via the phone system but not online (in NJ that's how it is). PEUC goes away on 12/31/20 no matter if you've collected all 13 weeks before the program end date.

After PEUC if still unemployed and state is still triggered on for EB (extended benefits) 20 weeks (pending on your state) , and if you meet eligibility for EB that would be your next step.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Thanks... I'm assuming my claim year is valid one year from when I filed in April of this year?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Also, would the 20 additional weeks be an automatic thing too if I am still unemployed after December 2020?

Old 09-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Also, would the 20 additional weeks be an automatic thing too if I am still unemployed after December 2020?
won't know that because it depends if EB is still triggered on for your state. and that runs off of the unemployment rate for the state.

and it isn't automatic their are eligibility rules for it. below is from US DOL guidelines 24-20 for temp changes to EB program under CARES Act.

a. Basic Qualifications for EB.

EB is payable only after exhaustion of PEUC and other UC as explained below. During the period that PEUC is available, an individual must have exhausted PEUC entitlement before commencing receipt of EB. To qualify for
EB the individual must have:

ï‚· exhausted all rights to regular UC under state law;
ï‚· no rights to regular UC with respect to any UC law of another state or Canada;
ï‚· exhausted PEUC;
 wages in the base period (with respect to the regular UC claim that was exhausted) that includes one of the following: (1) 20 weeks of full-time covered employment; (2) wages higher than 40 times the individual’s most recent weekly benefit amount; or (3) total wages in the base period equal to or greater than 1.5 times the highest quarter (see Section 202(a)(5), EUCA);
ï‚· no disqualifications that would prevent the individual from being eligible for EB (see Section 202(a)(4), EUCA); and
ï‚· at least one week in the benefit year that begins in an EB eligibility period (see Section 203(c), EUCA).

Old 09-12-2020, 12:59 PM

Thanks... I guess, really, my main question is whether I have to do, submit anything for anything after my regular benefits expire. I'm not looking for answers as to whether benefits will be available...

I just want to make sure I don't neglect to do something required when the time comes.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
won't know that because it depends if EB is still triggered on for your state. and that runs off of the unemployment rate for the state.

and it isn't automatic there are eligibility rules for it. below is from US DOL guidelines 24-20 for temp changes to EB program under CARES Act.

a. Basic Qualifications for EB.

EB is payable only after exhaustion of PEUC and other UC as explained below. During the period that PEUC is available, an individual must have exhausted PEUC entitlement before commencing receipt of EB. To qualify for
EB the individual must have:

ï‚· exhausted all rights to regular UC under state law;
ï‚· no rights to regular UC with respect to any UC law of another state or Canada;
ï‚· exhausted PEUC;
 wages in the base period (with respect to the regular UC claim that was exhausted) that includes one of the following: (1) 20 weeks of full-time covered employment; (2) wages higher than 40 times the individual’s most recent weekly benefit amount; or (3) total wages in the base period equal to or greater than 1.5 times the highest quarter (see Section 202(a)(5), EUCA);
ï‚· no disqualifications that would prevent the individual from being eligible for EB (see Section 202(a)(4), EUCA); and
ï‚· at least one week in the benefit year that begins in an EB eligibility period (see Section 203(c), EUCA).

Old 09-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Again, i am aware of the requirements but I am unsure if I actually need to reapply or if there are any actionable steps on my part. Or, perhaps, will IDES simply determine my eligibility for me and I will simply get, or not get, the extended benefits.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:04 PM

So I don't need to do anything?. IDES will automatically determine eligibility and let me know?

Old 09-16-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
So I don't need to do anything?. IDES will automatically determine eligibility and let me know?
sorry i realized i had a duplicate post a few days back. computer must have been hit with COVID. It kept giving me problems posting that day. LOL

boy Illinois is crappy as far as info about it. I searched high and low on their page. Normally the state has to notify you regarding your eligibility. Me personally I would probably call in to make sure there's not a separate portal or application to fill out for it. Some states did create a separate portal/application, others didn't.

is there a number you can call to check claim status (like an automated phone number). the extensions never showed up in people's online accounts but always did on the phone automated system. At least then you could tell if the money was loaded up for the PEUC when UI ends and for EB when PEUC ends. I know in NJ people have had very long pauses for EB. some have gotten it loaded right on. while a great many others still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment