Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM

827 posts, read 1,092,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illininutt View Post
I worked from December 4, 1967 till September 8, 2010. I FEEL I deserve all I can get! Since I also get SS...they reduce my weekly payments in half. Thats why the #112 weeks so far.
You don't "deserve" anything.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

104 posts, read 261,530 times
Obamacare won't effect me. I get all health care through the VA. A person who has served in the Military always get MORE from SS just because they served. I could live on SS alone...

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
I don't feel at all sorry for the scammers and the too-lazy-to-work types but it could be difficult for those unemployed who really are trying to find a job and just cannot get one.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM

113 posts, read 394,248 times
As part of the unemployed who feels very fortunate to be getting that small resource until I can find a job I also have zero sympathy for the scammers. It's a shame that an unemployment worker couldn't have pulled someones case after so long and looked closer at what the claimant brought to the table through SS and started wondering if there wasn't something going on with this person who has other resources to carry themselves and hasn't come up with a job in well over a year and keeps claiming extensions. I'm all for making it very hard to just claim a person was looking for work by clicking a link on line. After the first tier is approved I think they should have to actually get signatures from individuals who have interviewed them and turned them down for the job.

I do understand that feeling of deserving the benefit after years of work for a company and you suddenly lose your job through no fault of your own, but the questions are what are you bringing to the table, how much do you deserve and how long. Every one is different. Some are very bitter and quickly join the side that says... Everyone else does it so I will to and my old job owes me so I will simply exhaust as much as I can get out of it and actually getting a job is not a concern of mine until the money train starts slowing down or I can find another source that covers me. Those are the ones that will brag about milking the system. They have no idea that selfish approach potentially puts someone else out in the streets.

The side I fall under is a bit different. I didn't even want unemployment and filed later on after trying to get employment living off what little I had at the time the job ended. Surprisingly I was not told by anyone get a job but rather go to social services or file for unemployment. I thought this was strange. I actually have shame that unemployment is my current resource to make it through for now. I could even qualify for food stamps right now but just don't want to go there as each day and each week I've hoped I'd be making my own way.

I put in 15 years at my registry and did feel some type of compensation was coming to me but I'm realistic. I didn't pay for it. Someone else did and the set up was a buffer for me for a period of time. I want to look back at my life and say I was honest. I'd love a 1 tier extension available for me in the near future if things don't come together for me in the next 8 weeks and I am offended that some who scammed the system exhausted it for people like me. Even more insulted when someone brags that they could easily live off of another resource. I swear if I met someone like that face to face I'd turn them in.

Last edited by cosmic_me; 11-20-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,657,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
I also have zero sympathy for the scammer

After the first tier is approved I think they should have to actually get signatures from individuals who have interviewed them and turned them down for the job.

Some are very bitter and quickly join the side that says... Everyone else does it so I will to and my old job owes me so I will simply exhaust as much as I can get out of it and actually getting a job is not a concern of mine until the money train starts slowing down or I can find another source that covers me. Those are the ones that will brag about milking the system. They have no idea that selfish approach potentially puts someone else out in the streets.

I actually have shame that unemployment is my current resource to make it through for now. I could even qualify for food stamps right now but just don't want to go there as each day and each week I've hoped I'd be making my own way.

I am offended that some who scammed the system exhausted it for people like me. Even more insulted when someone brags that they could easily live off of another resource. I swear if I met someone like that face to face I'd turn them in.
OMG, this rant is so filled with misconceptions, it is hard to know which to address first.

You really need to know that OP has NOT "scammed" the system, nor "exhausted" it.

Also, you'd have no grounds to turn "them" in, because it is LEGAL in every state to collect UE benefits and Social Security. Two states, last I heard, Illinois and Louisiana, offset the benefit by 50% of the SS received. All the others allow full payment of SS and unemployment.

OP, being in Illinois, is having his UE benefit offset by 50% of his SS. Thus, his original monetary determination, and the extensions attached to that claim, last twice as long. He can continue to collect, as long as legislation is in place and he has benefits remaining. What he is doing is perfectly legal.

Just like what the Wall Street guys did is perfectly legal - caused a financial crash, ruined ten million lives, but still walked off with billions in the process. Not one prosecuted, yet. Or, Bain capital acquiring companies, leveraging them to the hilt, paying their investors off with borrowed money, then bankrupting the businesses, leaving people unemployed and, in many cases, pensionless. I'd say our capitalists have a lot more to answer for than the poor schlepp collecting minuscule unemployment benefits.

That aside, who hires people 65 and over. Or, for that matter 55 and over. Not very many. We have tons of stories on this board of people too far away from SS age and yet unemployable because of their age. Others forced to collect reduced SS at 62 because they can't find work.

Next, there is NO WAY you get signatures on employment applications, anymore. What world do you live in? Where do you live that you can walk into any place of employment, apply for a job, and then get a signature that you've done so? 90% of job searches are done online. Acquaintance of mine (40 y/o) just got a $12.50/hr job at a major employer here working in product development off a telephone interview. Employer doesn't even know what he looks like - they'll find out when he turns up for work. So, give up that ridiculous idea.

Yes, there are some who don't search for work, but they are the minority. Too many have lost homes, cars, everything. Those people want to work. We have tons of stories on this board from people applying everywhere with no success. In the end, they are forced to go on food stamps, energy assistance, Medicaid. They are not happy they are no longer self-supporting. They certainly are not "scamming" the system.

OP has worked all his life. That he's getting what you perceive to be a "freebie" and is scamming the system is your perception. What he's doing is perfectly legal. What gripes you is he is bragging about a "free" income after he's killed himself all his life working what was probably a pretty hard job. Whether or not he could get by on his SS and pension alone today is irrelevant. Again, given what Wall Street and Bain have gotten away with, his paltry benefits are nothing.

Exhausting benefits/scamming the system is not the reason Congress may not extend or has/will reduce benefits. The real reason is unemployment has remained high for far too long, and none of them want to face the reality that we have a brave new world in the US where unemployment will remain high and wages low. Continued payment of extended benefits is unsustainable. "Scammers" have nothing to do with it.

The US right now is akin to the butterfly trying to break out from the cocoon. We are undergoing a major metamorphosis if high unemployment, low wages and a reduced standard of living going forward. OP collecting, or not, his minuscule benefits has no affect on that whatsoever.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
OMG, this rant is so filled with misconceptions, it is hard to know which to address first.

You really need to know that OP has NOT "scammed" the system, nor "exhausted" it.

Also, you'd have no grounds to turn "them" in, because it is LEGAL in every state to collect UE benefits and Social Security. Two states, last I heard, Illinois and Louisiana, offset the benefit by 50% of the SS received. All the others allow full payment of SS and unemployment.

OP, being in Illinois, is having his UE benefit offset by 50% of his SS. Thus, his original monetary determination, and the extensions attached to that claim, last twice as long. He can continue to collect, as long as legislation is in place and he has benefits remaining. What he is doing is perfectly legal.

Just like what the Wall Street guys did is perfectly legal - caused a financial crash, ruined ten million lives, but still walked off with billions in the process. Not one prosecuted, yet. Or, Bain capital acquiring companies, leveraging them to the hilt, paying their investors off with borrowed money, then bankrupting the businesses, leaving people unemployed and, in many cases, pensionless. I'd say our capitalists have a lot more to answer for than the poor schlepp collecting minuscule unemployment benefits.

That aside, who hires people 65 and over. Or, for that matter 55 and over. Not very many. We have tons of stories on this board of people too far away from SS age and yet unemployable because of their age. Others forced to collect reduced SS at 62 because they can't find work.

Next, there is NO WAY you get signatures on employment applications, anymore. What world do you live in? Where do you live that you can walk into any place of employment, apply for a job, and then get a signature that you've done so? 90% of job searches are done online. Acquaintance of mine (40 y/o) just got a $12.50/hr job at a major employer here working in product development off a telephone interview. Employer doesn't even know what he looks like - they'll find out when he turns up for work. So, give up that ridiculous idea.

Yes, there are some who don't search for work, but they are the minority. Too many have lost homes, cars, everything. Those people want to work. We have tons of stories on this board from people applying everywhere with no success. In the end, they are forced to go on food stamps, energy assistance, Medicaid. They are not happy they are no longer self-supporting. They certainly are not "scamming" the system.

OP has worked all his life. That he's getting what you perceive to be a "freebie" and is scamming the system is your perception. What he's doing is perfectly legal. What gripes you is he is bragging about a "free" income after he's killed himself all his life working what was probably a pretty hard job. Whether or not he could get by on his SS and pension alone today is irrelevant. Again, given what Wall Street and Bain have gotten away with, his paltry benefits are nothing.

Exhausting benefits/scamming the system is not the reason Congress may not extend or has/will reduce benefits. The real reason is unemployment has remained high for far too long, and none of them want to face the reality that we have a brave new world in the US where unemployment will remain high and wages low. Continued payment of extended benefits is unsustainable. "Scammers" have nothing to do with it.

The US right now is akin to the butterfly trying to break out from the cocoon. We are undergoing a major metamorphosis if high unemployment, low wages and a reduced standard of living going forward. OP collecting, or not, his minuscule benefits has no affect on that whatsoever.
The O.P. has admitted he does not look for work. Thats not a scam?

Your response has so much nonsense in it, it's a bit scary. Your perception seems to be so many screw the system it's no big deal. I don't see his approach as legal. Maybe I'll call unemployment and ask if it's ok if I don't look for work. I see no justification in the O.P. continuing to collect a benefit while he's not looking for a job and brags that without the benefit he'd do just fine financially. I disagree with your assessment that getting a signature from someone that states you did apply for a position would be ridiculous. Congrats to your friend for landing a job over the phone. I hope it's legit and there won't be any regrets on the employers part when they show up for the first time to start work.

Honestly, I'm not sure the O.P. is legit. I've read enough of their prior post to wonder if it's a sock account type of situation.

Last edited by cosmic_me; 11-20-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM

426 posts, read 1,912,140 times
Quote:
They have to look for work. I think what they meant to say is they have little expectation of getting a job. I have no idea how it feels being 2 years on UI, but it must be frustrating.

I have been on it for about 4 months now , and I have applied for over 800 jobs and have had FIVE email replies and ZERO interviews.

zero.

I would like to think I have some skill so its not like my job abilities are limited .

Its a tough market. I really do think anyone 'milking' the system does NOT want any kind of standard of living.

Unemployment, food stamps, welfare and disability are NOT fun standards of living.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM

234 posts, read 687,396 times
he is exactly why republicans don't want unemployment extensions. he is like the video of the lady screaming about how great obama is because she got her free obama phone. you should take the benefits and be thankful. all these benefits are to help you not for you talk about like your screwing the government. wow a new tv and maybe a new car someday like that's so major. he is very easy to hate but the other week he was getting ready to wash tables at a hot dog stand he wrote. my advice for illininutt just be thankful for the benefits because the truth is you need them and stop talking because you come off so terrible. i bet he probably is a decent person when he keeps his month closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illininutt View Post
I have not squandered the money. After 43 years I feel I DESERVE it. It wasn't my fault the plant moved away. I like being a part of Romeny's 47%. The VA is helping me continue it AFTER UI through "free" health care.
A new tv....couple trips....maybe a new car soon. I never thought I would become a part of the 47% and love it as much as I do.
I'll be gone from here soon....maybe week #118...maybe week #126....we'll see. Then it's SS and $165,000 the plant put away for me through profit sharing.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
They have to look for work. I think what they meant to say is they have little expectation of getting a job.
In prior posts he has stated he does not look for work because he'd make less than what he's currently getting with his benefits.

I have been on it for 2 1/2 months and it's driving me crazy. They know me by my first name at the local one stop because I'm in there so much looking at the hot jobs and heading on out to fill out applications. The California EDD caljobs website is horrible. The lack of jobs they offer and not updating them doesn't help much but I keep at it. I'd love just one extension just in case as I've come up with plan B should my 26 weeks be completed before I can find a job.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,657,865 times
Quote:
Where in this thread does OP state he doesn't look for work?

Quote:
Your response has so much nonsense in it, it's a bit scary. Your perception seems to be so many screw the system it's no big deal. I don't see his approach as legal. Maybe I'll call unemployment and ask if it's ok if I don't look for work. I see no justification in the O.P. continuing to collect a benefit while he's not looking for a job and brags that without the benefit he'd do just fine financially.
Your lack of comprehension and shoot-from the hip response is what is scary and nonsensical. Show me where in this thread OP states he doesn't look for work? Where do I say it is OK for OP not to look for work? Nowhere.

Quote:
I disagree with your assessment that getting a signature from someone that states you did apply for a position would be ridiculous.
You can't get past the security guard in most places these days, much less walk in and get a signature when one has applied for a job. Possibly, if one makes it to the personal interview stage, an acknowledgement of the interview can be obtained then. Unless you are talking about low-level work with casual/informal work environments. Illinois has an REA process wherein they review work searches. By now, OP should have already attended one of those.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-20-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment