Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM

194 posts, read 314,633 times

Advertisements

News on Tiers in NJ.

If you were in transition from one tier to the next or waiting to go to EB they have now released money for the next tier you would go to.

I just got off the phone with an agent that said the state of NJ has made the decision to release funds for the next tier.

They are not waiting until the bill passes because they know it will pass when they come back on July 12th. She issued me one check and to call in on July 7th for my next two weeks.

GOOD NEWS FOR US HAPPY 4th OF JULY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 34,653 times
I went to the Unemployment office today and they released money to me for my last two weeks, but I didn't ask if the funds were coming from Tier IV or EB (I just got done collecting my last payment from Tier III).

Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM

194 posts, read 314,633 times
Then you are receiving tier IV they deceided to release the money now because they know the bill will pass if they wait they will have their hands full. They just made the decision today.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM

186 posts, read 366,637 times
great..thank you for the information fundamentals

Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 34,653 times
Ha, just commented on my original thread and didn't realize you were the one that posted this one, lol.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 PM

269 posts, read 711,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
News on Tiers in NJ.

If you were in transition from one tier to the next or waiting to go to EB they have now released money for the next tier you would go to.

I just got off the phone with an agent that said the state of NJ has made the decision to release funds for the next tier.

They are not waiting until the bill passes because they know it will pass when they come back on July 12th. She issued me one check and to call in on July 7th for my next two weeks.

GOOD NEWS FOR US HAPPY 4th OF JULY
I am the only one who finds it odd that a cash-strapped state like NJ would suddenly "release" money for tiers when the FEDERAL legislation allowing it has not even passed?

This isn't kosher. Perhaps the rep you spoke to was referring to releasing EB? The EB trigger is built in NJ law and cannot be rescinded unless another law to abolish it passes. It's well documented on this forum that employees at the NJ unemployment offices are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. They get their info screwed up quite frequently.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,864,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
I am the only one who finds it odd that a cash-strapped state like NJ would suddenly "release" money for tiers when the FEDERAL legislation allowing it has not even passed?

This isn't kosher. Perhaps the rep you spoke to was referring to releasing EB? The EB trigger is built in NJ law and cannot be rescinded unless another law to abolish it passes. It's well documented on this forum that employees at the NJ unemployment offices are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. They get their info screwed up quite frequently.
It seems from reading on here that every other state has gone strictly "by the book" but NJ while trying to save themselves from paying out on EB as per state law, hoping like ^%$ the EUC extensions and federal funding for EB would get passed, has royally messed up and totally confused everyone.

Recipients from every other state seem to have been given clearcut guidelines what to expect. Most of the threads here regarding confusion over EB payments have originated in NJ.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM

269 posts, read 711,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It seems from reading on here that every other state has gone strictly "by the book" but NJ while trying to save themselves from paying out on EB as per state law, hoping like ^%$ the EUC extensions and federal funding for EB would get passed, has royally messed up and totally confused everyone.

Recipients from every other state seem to have been given clearcut guidelines what to expect. Most of the threads here regarding confusion over EB payments have originated in NJ.
Mom always said, "Don't count your chickens until they are hatched". Of course, we never lived on a farm, but that's beside the point.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM

31 posts, read 143,898 times
Ok, I just got off the phone with UI. They just released my checks for weeks ending 6/12, 6/19, and 6/26. I was scheduled to call in today for the 6/26 week but was denied during the normal call in. I told her I was a little confused because I had received my Eligibility for tier IV but hadn't been paid for 6/12 and 6/19, and I called today and was denied for 6/26. She said, oh because you were on hold for congress. I said I guess. She went silent for a few, came back and said you are all caught up, we'll send your checkS out tomorrow.

So I guess we will see!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,990,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post

The NJ reps are reading from a script which was drafted so as not to have to explain all the ugly details of the recent screw-ups with NJ UI payments. Fundamentals has accurately reported what reps are telling claimants in NJ.

For those who are interested, here is the sad NJ story:
(1) Under NJ law, when a claimant has exhausted all federal unemployment benefits available to him/her, he/she may be eligible for EB.

(2) EB is triggered by NJ's three-month average unemployment rate. At this time, the state has triggered High EB -- an additional 20 weeks of benefits. Under the state law, the federal government pays 50% of the cost of those benefits; NJ must pay the other 50%.

(3) After the last eligibility cut-off dates passed for the EUC Tiers, as people exhausted their regular benefits or an EUC Tier, under state law NJ should have started paying EB to those who qualified for it.

(4) Rather than pay EB, someone had the bright idea to "freeze" payments to those exhausting regular benefits or an EUC Tier. The rationale was: Why pay EB immediately (which will cost NJ 50% of the benefits)? If we just wait a few weeks, the Tiers will be reinstated, retroactive payments will be made, and the federal government will pay the entire cost.

(5) Unfortunately, that did not happen on the timetable that NJ expected. So the longer they kept accounts frozen and didn't make the new EB payments, the longer they were in violation of the state law.

(6) The immediate solution? "Unfreeze" those accounts ASAP. If NJ unfreezes the accounts and makes "Tier" payments, those retroactive payments will be reimbursed 100% by the federal government. However, if they designate those payments as "early EB," the federal government may not reimburse NJ for the 50% the state has to pay for EB at this time.

Whether or not the new rationale works for NJ with funding from the federal government, only time will tell. In any event, the NJ accounts have been "unfrozen," people are starting to receive their retroactive payments -- and however NJ categorizes those payments for the federal government, that will not affect the recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment