Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM

108 posts, read 148,552 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was overpaid for 4 weeks from NY unemployment last year. There was a background check going on and there was no final offer but they were paying during that time. I waited till the final offer before I stopped taking UI and as a result there was an over payment for 4 weeks. I returned all the money with penalties within one week.

Now when I lost the job due to Covid-19 the weeks that I am claiming are showing up as forfeit week. Does anybody has any clue how long my forfeit weeks going to be. I checked online and found that New York has a penalty of 1 week to 20 weeks maximum if the information is right.

Now my question is how many weeks that I have to forfeit??. I cannot get this information anywhere and NY does not take any calls during this time because of pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 12:12 PM

They sent one payment of $600/- dollars. I just reopened an existing claim. I think it is better that I reach out to them and discuss everything. That 600 I am assuming is the pandemic unemployment payment.

Last edited by Lpavitram; 05-08-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 12:23 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpavitram View Post
They sent one payment of $600/- dollars. I just reopened an existing claim. I think it is better that I reach out to them and discuss everything.
The $600 that you were paid is the FPUC (federal money) that you are entitled to if even if you have an over payment for regular UI.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

There is a bill that they are sending to the NY governor to waive forfeit during the pandemic as thousands of people have penalties on their previous claims. A lot of these folks have sent back the over payments with penalty but still they have to go through forfeit weeks. Nobody is generally aware of this and when I log into the site it does not show anywhere how many weeks I have to forfeit.

This is not just New York - a lot people in a lot of states have this issue. Weeks pass by while they keep talking and unless you have large amount of savings in the bank one will be in a bad position at this time.

Someone online says it is easy to get to them if we call as soon as the office opens. I am going to try that tomorrow.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Titere View Post
Again. Apply for PUA, as it is not subject to the penalty weeks.
He already reopened an existing claim. So not sure how he has to handle it now that it's already in the system, whether someone will review his claim for PUA eligibility. Also it would depend on how many penalty weeks he has to serve, what his current UI WBA is, what his tentative PUA WBA would be, as well as factoring in the FPU $600 into calculations and # weeks eligible for it. I would sit down and figure out the $$$ and cents for each scenario taking into consideration what his tentative return to work situation is and how long he thinks he would be out on UI to figure out which path works out best for him.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:40 AM

I just want to know the number of my forfeit weeks but could not reach any representative in the labor department. The information is not their on their website either. I am not sure how to plan if I cannot even know how many forfeit weeks are there.

My benefit year ends on June 9th. I filed the claim last year and have used only 5 weeks so far.

I am using the number 888-209-8124 to call in but after entering SSN and PIN it says call later because of high call volume and then hangs up. It does not even allow customers to wait.

Do you they send any paper work in the mail when we reopen the claim so that I get all the details. I just cannot believe we are living in 2020 and we are having all these technical issues.

If anybody has any tips to check for forfeit weeks please let me know.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I just want to know the number of my forfeit weeks but could not reach any representative in the labor department. The information is not their on their website either. I am not sure how to plan if I cannot even know how many forfeit weeks are there.

My benefit year ends on June 9th. I filed the claim last year and have used only 5 weeks so far.

I am using the number 888-209-8124 to call in but after entering SSN and PIN it says call later because of high call volume and then hangs up. It does not even allow customers to wait.

Do you they send any paper work in the mail when we reopen the claim so that I get all the details. I just cannot believe we are living in 2020 and we are having all these technical issues.

If anybody has any tips to check for forfeit weeks please let me know.
You should have received notification last year when you originally were hit with the weeks. Other person(s) who posted similar situation only found out # of weeks by calling in (unfortunately).

Old 05-11-2020, 10:32 AM

I also expected the same and going through my rubble of papers - fortunately I do not throw any paper out unless I check it first. I am expecting the forfeit weeks should be there in the document when they imposed the penalty but I have not found yet.

I repaid all the monetary penalty immediately with interest but I was not aware that we have forfeit weeks and not eligible for future benefits. I was overpaid for 4 weeks and with this weeks filing I will be covering 3 weeks of forfeit but I am not sure if it is 4 weeks or 8 weeks or complete 20 weeks.

I found some arcane legal document that explains this and according to that it will be 4 weeks for forfeit but I am not sure what they imposed.

There is a bill waiting to waive this forfeit during a pandemic but I am not sure when that will see the light of the day. It is a mess.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:00 AM

But they already sent one check for $600/- and that is PUA I believe. If I get another check tomorrow then that is working fine. I received my first check last Tuesday. I have applied for UI for the third week last Sunday.

If I can just get a representative I have two questions - one is the number of weeks I have to forfeit. The second question is my benefit year ends on June 7th - will I become eligible to file new claim from NY given the fact that I worked only two months (Jan and Feb 2019) in New York in the base period. And then I worked 3 months in Florida and 6 months in North Carolina to complete that year.

If I am not eligible from NY I do not want to waste my time and directly file with North Carolina. It is just less than a month before my benefit year ends.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
But they already sent one check for $600/- and that is PUA I believe. If I get another check tomorrow then that is working fine. I received my first check last Tuesday. I have applied for UI for the third week last Sunday.

If I can just get a representative I have two questions - one is the number of weeks I have to forfeit. The second question is my benefit year ends on June 7th - will I become eligible to file new claim from NY given the fact that I worked only two months (Jan and Feb 2019) in New York in the base period. And then I worked 3 months in Florida and 6 months in North Carolina to complete that year.

If I am not eligible from NY I do not want to waste my time and directly file with North Carolina. It is just less than a month before my benefit year ends.
The $600 isn't PUA, that's the FPUC extra $600 bump on top of your weekly UI or PUA claim amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment