Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM

29 posts, read 61,157 times

Advertisements

WOULD like to hear from others who are currently unemployed in the New York City area or who are just unemployed. I am a 51 year old male who has worked in the insurance industry for all my working years. I am currently unemployed for too long, and would like to hear from others concerning their job hunting experience.

My personal experience job hunting has not been good at all.

Every day I listen to the news reports concerning the economy, it seems
like the only "positive news" if that's what they want to call it, is that the
bad job market will bottom out by the end of the year (how reassuring).
After every month I listen to the job lost figures for the previous month, in my opinion even if the overall figures did decline over the preceding months
if a company already laid off X amount of employees how could it still stay
in business if it continued to lay off it's workers month after month after month.
Without sounding too bitter I feel that many companies are now using the negative economy as an excuse to not compromise on their overall profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
haha I am not even going to comment on this one. I am personally predicting another 4,000 point drop in the dow before 2009 is over.

What can we say? The economy is pretty bad, we are in a depression afterall. It isn't just you who is having trouble finding work.

Just keep looking for work, not much else you can do!

I just hope you have your emergency fund well funded. I know alot of people who lived paycheck to paycheck and they are living in their cars now. It is hard out there.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Not only is unemployment bad, job listings are scarce and too many people compete for the job!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM

29 posts, read 61,157 times
Thanks for your comment, killer 2021.
Still can't help feeling something is the matter!
Traveling around New York City buses, trains and roads are still packed.
Seems like life is going on as usual.
Spoke with friends and acquaintances in the same job field as myself, they all basically claim
no substantial reduction in work load.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Meanwhile the four guys who did my roof last week have all the work they can handle.

I used a 35 year architectural shingle.

I paid $4,800.00.

Total material $1,400.

Three man crew spent three days working 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

Figure $10 per man hour overhead expenses. Insurance for these guys is not cheap. $720.00.

Figure another $500 for fuel, tool and truck expense.

$2,180 left to split 3 ways.

$726 per man = $30/hour. They worked moderately hard in hot conditions.

They have all the work they can handle.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
What exactly did you DO in the insurance industry?

Actuarial?
Sales?
Underwriting?
Claims processing?
Claims adjusting?
Accounting?
I/T?
Marketing?
Operations?
Finance?

What type of insurance? Personal lines? Commercial lines? ABL? Specialty?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,449 times
I'm really sorry. I think it's probably one thing to be unemployed in a little town similar to the one I live in, and another thing entirely to be unemployed in NYC. I hope you are situated to ride this out.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
It's all relative.
I feel like I must be the only unemployed person in my complex and in my area. Every morning cars go to work, nice cars, people are dressed up, the stores are crowded with shoppers.

Meanwhile I apply for jobs, and IF I get interviews, it goes to 'someone else' who is "????" more than me...

I am not stupid and know how to interview...so I don't think I am 'flubbing up' every interview. The last 4, well, they just say 'it was between you and someone else, and it was 'a tough decision' but we went with the other person."

I try to think well, this other person must need the job more (some sort of divine intervention) but I need a job now, too...

Good luck to the OP. I feel your pain. Being unemployed is like being invisible. Also it is like watching some party from behind a glass door...everyone has the key except you.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 06-22-2009 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Being unemployed is like being invisible. Also it is like watching some party from behind a glass door...everyone has the key except you.
This is exactly how I feel right now...

I am really starting to get really discouraged. I am trying not to take it personally but it is so frustrating. I job search daily, go on interviews, submit my resume, fine tune resume and cover letter, network whenever I can. I am just at a loss right now. I know that I am not the only one that is going through this but it certainly feels like I am all alone with everyone I know going on about their lives. I feel trapped, like my life has suddenly come to a hault. I am trying to keep a positive outlook but it is getting harder each day.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
For those who are unemployed (or even those who are employed) VOLUNTEER! You will feel like you are making a contribution and will feel like you are a part of something. And you never know when you might run into someone who ca lead you to a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment