Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:34 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

A month ago I was fired from my job. I was not fired for misconduct but for some unknown reason and it did not effect my claim for unemployment. They felt sorry for me and paid me three months in pay in severance assigned to my last day on the job. This had no effect on my unemployment insurance payments. I am making the maximum $380 a week payment in unemployment and my weekly check allows me to earn up to $75 a week additional pay from temp jobs before my weekly benefit check is decreased. If it is cut, it just means I can collect unemployment for a few more months. I expect to earn 90% of my monthly budget from a combination of unemployment insurance, odd jobs and interest income from savings. So I do not have to pull much money from savings each month. My secverence pay has already been invested.

I have already gone on some long weekend trips and have time to do alot of things I have always wanted to do but did not have the time. I really do not want to go back to full time work, but like temp work and unemployment. But I have a job lined up starting in late March working for an old friend. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
380 a week would not pay my mortgage. I would be scared to death.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
380 a week would not pay my mortgage. I would be scared to death.
go get an apartment then

Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
go get an apartment then
No, I'd rather just get another job

Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM

39 posts, read 125,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
A month ago I was fired from my job. I was not fired for misconduct but for some unknown reason and it did not effect my claim for unemployment. They felt sorry for me and paid me three months in pay in severance assigned to my last day on the job. This had no effect on my unemployment insurance payments. I am making the maximum $380 a week payment in unemployment and my weekly check allows me to earn up to $75 a week additional pay from temp jobs before my weekly benefit check is decreased. If it is cut, it just means I can collect unemployment for a few more months. I expect to earn 90% of my monthly budget from a combination of unemployment insurance, odd jobs and interest income from savings. So I do not have to pull much money from savings each month. My secverence pay has already been invested.

I have already gone on some long weekend trips and have time to do alot of things I have always wanted to do but did not have the time. I really do not want to go back to full time work, but like temp work and unemployment. But I have a job lined up starting in late March working for an old friend. Life is good.
..you're in a better position than most unemployed workers I know. In our state, the max UI benefits is $320 and any earned income $50 or above has to be reported..Several manufacturing companies have closed, leaving some of the unemployed in my area with little hope (factors including previous work history/education/age and other physical barriers). Some of the
unemployed workers have opted to go to school for a trade while others are first time college freshmen (at 30+ years of age).

With a Job already in perspective, I'm sure the unemployed workers in my area, who received NO severance pay (well, some companies disbursed severance packages) wish that they could be in your shoes...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
I've never, ever collected unemployment, even when I was qualified for it. I'd usually try to find another job ASAP. Perhaps if I'm laid off from my current job, I might consider it. Although, if I'm not mistaken, there's a time limit for receiving unemployment benefits, like six months(?). At least here in California; I'm not sure about other states.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
Ive never collected un-employment either... i would honestly much rather be working then sititng on my butt collecting unemployment.

why? When I was out of work in mid to late 2004, I was miserable.. I love what I do and could hardly wait to get back to work!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times
Default Good jobs take months to obtain

Sure, it would be wonderful to be rehired into a great new job with great pay and benefits and interesting work, but in today's economy it is not going to happen all that fast. Finding good jobs is extremely difficult. There are hundreds of applicants. I am just saying that instead of being all stressed I am working some temp jobs and appreciate that unemployment insurance is out there.

Anyone who would not accept unemployment because it feels like welfare?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Holy heck; you guys have it good! I collected unemployment in Florida last year and the maximum benefit was $250 per week (this was confirmed with another colleague of mine who was pulling in around 57K per year). And that was before taxes! Plus it took 4 weeks to kick in.

I couldn't take it; working at McDonald's would have brought in more money (well not really, because only managers are full time...but still). I took some crappy job for $10/hr because it was soooo ridiculous!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Some years ago I was laid off in Illinois and collected unemployment insurance which was the max at $279 per week. That amount was also taxed at the end of the year - that part hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment