Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,045,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
Yep- thanks for spelling it out more clearly. I was referring to CA only but I should have clarified that in my post. CA happens to be a state that is only offering it when 100% funded. I am on a wing and a prayer that this is extended in Nov. otherwise I am dead in the water.

Either that, or a tier 5. Either will do.
When is Tier 5 being brought up again?... Possibly Nov 15. when back in session...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

50 posts, read 240,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
Yep- thanks for spelling it out more clearly. I was referring to CA only but I should have clarified that in my post. CA happens to be a state that is only offering it when 100% funded. I am on a wing and a prayer that this is extended in Nov. otherwise I am dead in the water.

Either that, or a tier 5. Either will do.
Im in the same boat here in NJ , dead in the water and I only got to collect my base 26 weeks which will end a couple wks past this Nov 21st deadline. You cant make this stuff up, this government really better look at the #s and see people such as myself need help and they should provide it !

Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace7 View Post
Im in the same boat here in NJ , dead in the water and I only got to collect my base 26 weeks which will end a couple wks past this Nov 21st deadline. You cant make this stuff up, this government really better look at the #s and see people such as myself need help and they should provide it !
As explained to you on another thread here, New Jersey is not "the same boat" as California.

California discontinues EB when the 100% federal funding for those benefits expires. New Jersey does NOT discontinue EB at that time.

As long as New Jersey continues to meet the three-month average unemployment rates required to trigger EB, the state continues to offer those benefits. When 100% federal funding expires, the funding reverts to 50% federal/50% state. New Jersey then pays the 50% state funding and the state does continue EB.

Last edited by diorgirl; 11-08-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM

50 posts, read 240,524 times
Question Nj ...

What I want to know is this, I thought when I was reading on the NJ site that the TIER extensions & the EB extensions were ALL going byebye after Nov 21/28th, etc ...

But on on the flip side, is that false?? Reason Im asking is because are the EB Extensions AUTOMATICALLY KICKED IN because the NJ State Unemployment Rate is GREATER than the 6% level needed to collect EB ??? and then theres an EEB or something after that where if the level is greater than 8% in the state your eligible for the EEB extension.

Comments so I know if this is right ?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace7 View Post
What I want to know is this, I thought when I was reading on the NJ site that the TIER extensions & the EB extensions were ALL going byebye after Nov 21/28th, etc ...

But on on the flip side, is that false?? Reason Im asking is because are the EB Extensions AUTOMATICALLY KICKED IN because the NJ State Unemployment Rate is GREATER than the 6% level needed to collect EB ??? and then theres an EEB or something after that where if the level is greater than 8% in the state your eligible for the EEB extension.

Comments so I know if this is right ?
You are confusing several different levels of benefits. Here is an explanation previously posted here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
There has been continuing confusion about eligibility cut-off dates versus expiration dates for federal unemployment benefits. In summary:

(1) EUC Tiers/Eligibility cut-off dates - The most recently passed federal legislation extended the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers to the end of November 2010. The latest you can move from regular benefits to Tier I is on or before Sunday, November 21; that means you must exhaust your regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20. The latest that you can move from one Tier to the next is Sunday, November 28. That means you must exhaust your current Tier on or before Saturday, November 27, because Sunday, November 28 is the last day you can start a new Tier.

(2) EUC Tiers/Expiration date - The expiration date of the EUC Tiers program is different than the eligibility cut-off dates. The expiration date is the last day on which benefits will be paid by the program -- currently that is April 30, 2011. Typically, the expiration date is about five months after the eligibility cut-off dates -- which gives anyone who starts the longest Tier (20 weeks) on the last eligible date enough time to collect all 20 weeks, assuming you collect your full benefit each week.

(3) EB/Expiration date - At this time, EB is 100% federally funded through December 4, 2010. This December 4 expiration date is the EB equivalent of the April 30, 2011, expiration date set for the EUC Tiers. Many states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires. Other states -- like New Jersey -- revert to the traditional funding split of 50% federal/50% states, and continue to provide EB as long as that state has the three-month average unemployment rates to trigger these benefits: 6% to trigger EB; 8% to trigger High EB.

(4) FAC/Expiration date - The FAC program was not extended by the recent legislation, so you must have filed your claim for regular unemployment benefits before the end of May 2010 to qualify for the $25 weekly FAC payment. If you are already collecting the FAC, that program will expire on December 11, 2010 -- no further FAC payments will be made after that date.

The eligibility cut-off dates and expiration dates I have noted above are all current. For these dates to be extended, Congress must enact new legislation with new dates.
More about EB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
EB was traditionally funded 50% by the federal government and 50% by the state. As part of the stimulus act in 2009, the federal government assumed 100% funding of EB.

But this 100% federal funding provided by the stimulus act expires at around the same time as the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers program. At that time, EB reverts to 50% federal/50% state funding -- unless Congress renews 100% federal funding.

Many states have revised their rules for EB -- now offering it only when it is funded 100% by the federal government. Other states have retained the original funding rules -- and they do provide EB even when they must supply 50% of the funding, as long as they meet the necessary unemployment rate triggers. So it is important to check with your state's UI -- as you did -- to understand the rules and expiration dates for EB in your state.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
When is Tier 5 being brought up again?... Possibly Nov 15. when back in session...
No member of Congress -- Senate or House -- has mentioned any plans to resurrect legislation for a Tier V.

At this time, very few are even willing to speculate about the extension of the existing federal unemployment benefits -- EUC Tiers I-IV or 100% federal funding of EB.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM

20 posts, read 43,510 times
If by some chance they do add a Tier V, would it be retroactive? I've been a 99er as of the end of July when I got my final eb check. However I also started working about two weeks ago. My question is would I still be entitled to what I didn't collect since I was out for a while.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri79 View Post
If by some chance they do add a Tier V, would it be retroactive? I've been a 99er as of the end of July when I got my final eb check. However I also started working about two weeks ago. My question is would I still be entitled to what I didn't collect since I was out for a while.
I hope you are not being serious.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM

34 posts, read 76,813 times
If you are asking in this thread will there be a tier 5 you will get 2 answers.the first is from the people on here for whatever reason hate the idea of it so they will say noway.Then there are the 99ers who understand it is all about what happens when it is brought up again....So to answer the question the answer is............................ nobody knows...........................If they say they know there is or is not going to be a tier 5 they are just voicing what they think.If you want a tier 5 contact your senator and send faxes.If all the 99ers keep trying it can happen.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri79 View Post
Unemployment benefits are not paid for weeks for which you did not certify that you were unemployed at the time. No states allow people to certify indefinitely after they exhaust all available benefits -- as you did in July. For those reasons, new Tiers are never retroactive to dates before their legislation is actually passed.

This is not the case for the existing Tiers. If an eligibility cut-off date prevents you from moving on to the next Tier, most states will allow you to continue to certify until the eligibility cut-off dates are extended by legislation. In those situations, payments are made retroactively.

In any event, the fact that you are now working would make you ineligible for further benefits at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment