Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times

Advertisements

This is a general thread about the paranormal, inviting a good back and forth on why you believe or not. If you have personal stories they are welcome.

I will begin by saying I believe because of personal experiences. I don't go to fortune teller, but think we would do better to develop as individuals.

I believe science, through discoveries in physics, is bordering on the realm of some of these odd things that occur to us which we label as paranormal.

I am not sure about the existence of a god, but I know we continue after the death of the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipso View Post
There is no such thing as the "paranormal." There are only unexplained phenomena that involve a mis-observation by a naive person, or a scientific phenomenon that has yet to be observed, explained and understood through scientific study.

Paranormal is running water to those in the dark ages; or germ theory to those living during the Renaissance.
You are correct, although there is a common usage of the term that most people recognize. Like, define 'love'. It is hard to create an all encompassing definition but people generally know what you mean when you mention it.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipso View Post
Dangit, you're making me peel out of my rigid, objective diagnosis.

Yes, in that respect, I guess there is "paranormal." I just don't believe in the supernatural. Either people's minds play tricks on them, or the object is explained by natural phenomena. I've been a neurological patient, and I suffered from seizure in the past. Usually, when you think you've experienced something extraordinary, its your own perception that has supplied the vision. That's one thing I learned very quickly from my own medical struggles.
It sounds as though you're really doing fine, now. I hope so.

Yes, when your brain chemistry or some such has caused you to doubt your perceptions it is probably best to err on the side of caution.

If your brain is playing tricks on you it is best to use logic to overcome it. Who is that great mathematician who saw people who were not there, but it was a brain disorder? He often could not recognize the phantoms from reality and turned to the person next to him to ask if he saw them too.

He got the Nobel prize for math and when the guy who told him came to his college to accomplish that task, the prof at first suspected the good news was bogus and queried the person next to him about the messenger being actually there.

I once got a verbal 'message' from a voice I did not recognize. It really threw me and I began to doubt my sanity. Then, I got a call from an old friend that another old friend from 40 or so years back had died. The messages stopped then.

I don't encourage myself because my imagination gets in the way. They just happen when they are going to and I ignore them or not.

I was impressed by your post. It forced me to think.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Goldengrain, that was John Nash as portrayed by Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind. Do I win, do I win????

Oh, I believe. Don't feel like going into it right now, but too many things happened for me not to believe. And I wasn't the only one who experienced them.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
What we call paranormal is nothing more than things that haven't been sufficiently explained as to fit the parameters of what most people consider normal.

I can't play an instrument, but I don't consider anyone who can to have a paranormal ability. My sisters and I are sensitives, so is my middle son. For us, it's normal, not paranormal

One day, science will get off it's collective ass and explain it to all the skeptics.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
What we call paranormal is nothing more than things that haven't been sufficiently explained as to fit the parameters of what most people consider normal.
I totally agree with you Pam. Paranormal is sort of like the supernatural....it is simply outside of our range of current understanding.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I totally agree with you Pam. Paranormal is sort of like the supernatural....it is simply outside of our range of current understanding.
What's the difference between the two? I thought they pretty much meant the same thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Lets just say that I believe in God and the Bible. It is my understanding from reading it that before we came to Earth a plan was presented to us. That plan involved Jesus Christ. Another individual, also presented a plan and 1/3 of the spirits children decided that they would follow that plan. They were driven out of Heaven and they ended up here on Earth. We are all part of the 2/3's that accepted our Heavenly Fathers Plan of Salvation. The only problem is that those evil spirits do exist and they are here to tempt us and even let us see them from time to time. They are the same evil spirits that Jesus would cast out of people.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
This...."paranormal"....does exist....call it whatever you want. I call it, "stuff".
But, anyway... it does exist. I know for a fact that it does. There should be a forum for this subject, but what would you call it and where does it belong on CD?
I have been there many times.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
This...."paranormal"....does exist....call it whatever you want. I call it, "stuff".
But, anyway... it does exist. I know for a fact that it does. There should be a forum for this subject, but what would you call it and where does it belong on CD?
I have been there many times.
Finally, we agree!

Yes, we do need a paranormal forum. Who do we bombard with requests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal