Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,689,677 times

Advertisements

I have a friend of mine who often says the same things I'm saying. We say the same things at the same time. This has happened for years, now. Sometimes she says something I'm thinking, and something she says "Hey! I was thinking that, too!". It doesn't happen often with other people, but it happens a lot with her. I don't know why it happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,304,011 times
You've known each other for years. You spend a lot of time together. You share experiences. Your thoughts & ideas have become similar.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,952,404 times
When we know someone for a long time, we learn more and more their positions on things and their mode of thinking. Mirror neurons in the brain enable us to feel empathic toward others, and understand them and their moods. Dysfunction in the mirror neuron system may be involved in autistic spectrum disorders. There also appears to be a connection between mirror neurons and language, but this as far as I know is an area of ongoing research (as are mirror neurons in general).

One of the techniques I learned for connecting with a client in my clinical psych studies was to mirror the other person's tone of voice, body positions, etc. This helps build a therapeutic relationship and also is an aid in getting insight into what a client is going through cognitively and emotionally. So the mirror neuron system can be tapped into to build empathy with another.

Now, I'm not saying all consciousness might not be connected on the quantum level ... and it might be that the mirror neurons are instrumental in this kind of connectivity between individuals. But my bet would be that the experience you're describing (which many of us have had with close friends or spouses) can be explained without having to resort to mysticism or speculation about some as yet unexplained consciousness field.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 PM

19,735 posts, read 20,289,108 times
It's a pretty cool phenomenon.. I've been having telepathic dreams lately w/ certain people...people I have very strong connections with that I don't see or speak to regularly.. It's weird, like I'll dream about someone and they'll contact me later that same day.. I had called one of these people late one evening a couple weeks ago (it went to vm) and when he returned my call the next morning after waking up, he said it was funny I had called bc he had left his phone charging downstairs and had just had several dreams about me.. I had a dream about him yesterday- lo & behold, he sends me a message on fb the same day..

Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
I think of it as attunement.

Telepathy is telepathy....communication without speaking...transmitting and
receiving another's thoughts as with with ears.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 PM

652 posts, read 875,190 times
Like Wonder Woman, I have the ability of using mental telepathy. My mom used to abandon me as a child in stores telling me she would start a new life under an assumed name in another state.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I have a friend of mine who often says the same things I'm saying. We say the same things at the same time. This has happened for years, now. Sometimes she says something I'm thinking, and something she says "Hey! I was thinking that, too!". It doesn't happen often with other people, but it happens a lot with her. I don't know why it happens...

Your not alone in this, I was born a triplet, we did this all the time and here it is 64 years later and we are still doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal