Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM

786 posts, read 812,080 times

Advertisements

One can object to UFOs Or USOs, for they may not be flying at the moment of observation or, in the case of the latter type, American. And though not the responsibility of the poor or frightened onlooker to define the object of his experience, we probably need an appropriate name for it – whether extra-terrestrial or manufactured, under licence (or with alien connivance), on Earth. Hence the Out-Of-This-World Object or OOTWO, which I propose be pronounced as oot’-too. And that that rolls-off the tongue more easily than UFO &c is another reason for adopting ōt’-tō. Furthermore, that we take OOTWOs to be flying objects puts them in the domain of the Aviation section. However, having been dealt with, by default, in that for mysterious things, I'd say that this section, by dint of of its objectivity, scientific methodology &c has the better facilities for discussing such matters. And we do know that "pilots are trained observers", do we not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 AM

I've seen several inexplicable things – as did my partner at the time. Although some were surprising or shocking, they didn't frighten us. Some were in the air; others, on the ground – from Zodiacal Lights to spheroids of denser-than-surrounding mist. And I took some of them so seriously that I reported some to the Royal Observatory and others to the Meteorological Office

Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,562,337 times
You're talking Ben Rich stuff.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 PM

Butt (ON UFOS OR USOS)

I’m not Nick Pope
That dope’s a joke.
No, not—, nope –
I’m no Nick Pope

And that's not too Rich, is it? Anyway, thanks for pointing me toward Benjamin Robert Rich, for I hadn't heard of him till now. His views on the occult reinforce my opinion that our leaders believe in such things more than the rest of us are given to. As an openminded and neutral follower of such matters, I come across some amazing accounts. For example, there's an apparently educated commentator on YouTube who starts by asserting in convincing fashion that analogue electricity meters are really devices for obtaining that energy out of thin air but billing the consumer simultaneously. Then, as though to reinforce his credentials, he relates those devices to secret German WWII warplane compasses &c. I lost him there.

Last edited by OldChina; 03-10-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,888,464 times
Not quite sure which way this thread is supposed to go at the moment.

The naming of these phenomena is just semantics and it wont make any difference what we call them. In my opinion, it does not really matter if these things are really from another world or whether they are from our military.

Either way, they (UFOs) are still technology which is denied to us and which if it is ours and not alien should be out in the public domain. That is the real issue. If it is alien, then that is a different matter.

With a source of power far beyond nuclear, many things which could make our lives better would be possible. Once this technology is available, there would be the mass of minds thinking of different ways to use the new technology and that would produce another leap of technology for our species. Of course, that in itself would produce more weapons for the psychopathic military to play with. Who knows what they have now.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Wait, I'm confused. You want to call them oowtwos. But it looks like you're giving it two ways to pronounce it. The first looks like ootwo sounding like group. But the second way is written like grope.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:55 AM

The acronym OOTWO (which may be an element of the NewWordOrder) would be stressed paroxytonically (as a trochae) and pronounced with no more than two long os thus: oot’-too. But it could be articulated as the spondee (oot’-too’) in the manner of, say, faithful. Anyway, the w should be elided rather than sounded– even by Canadian or Scottish enunciators of the word

Though I thought that this topic be appropriate for the Aviation section, it was moved to this one by ‘powers’ beyond my control. Perhaps they believe that it's too close to Lockheed-Martin's DragonLady – their dear U─2. Anyway, thank you for accommodating it here. Now so, universal adoption of the acronym may facilitate a clearer study of the saucers &c that it denotes, in much the way that the adoption for mathematics of a counting-system based not on the aggregate of the user's digits but on the ratios of Nature may improve our science etc

Last edited by OldChina; 03-13-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:35 AM

^^ Well-spotted. Perhaps I shouldn't use the macron, which usually hardens the vowel that it covers, though it can be used for lengthening it. Therefore, oot’-oo or oot’-too’ would be the better way of expressing the acronym's sound

Last edited by OldChina; 03-13-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 08:05 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The naming of these phenomena is just semantics and it wont make any difference what we call them.
Yup. Agreed.

Although I would add that it seems semantically incorrect to call anything an out-of-this-world object unless you can prove it is not from this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Either way, they (UFOs) are still technology which is denied to us and which if it is ours and not alien should be out in the public domain. That is the real issue. If it is alien, then that is a different matter.
Maybe. But maybe not. We don't know what they are.

"Military or alien" are certainly two valid possibilities. But not the only ones. Other possibilities I have heard people espouse:

--) angels
--) demons
--) the nephilim
--) time travelers from our own future
--) Earthlings from a different dimension
--) visitors from the Hollow Earth
--) Atlanteans

I find some of those more silly than others. But until we have some tangible proof, it's all just speculation.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
We just think they are aliens, meaning, intelligent beings from another planet...but like the above post, we dont know if this is true, some may be experimental military craft, but I dont think many are, if we had this kind of technology, we would see at least some of it being used in regular space travel, military fighters, etc, but even the most advanced modern fighter pales in comparison to most UFO reports, in abilities, sound, speed, etc. just about every way.

I think the fact that literally every UFO picture or video shows up blurry or out of focus is important, I have a feeling, whatever they are, they are not entirely 'of this world' so to speak, and our cameras and technology have a hard time 'recognizing' them. That may one reason why we havent seen one land on the whitehouse lawn yet too, they may not be able to do this yet?

I think they likely come from another place, but I suspect its not like what we would think, meaning, not a planet, or 'place', where they exist and live is likely COMPLETELY different than we can comprehend. We just use words and terms to explain them based on our world and our understanding of what a 'world' is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal