Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

I especially like her answer as to why she believes they exist!

https://allthatsinteresting.com/jane-goodall-sasquatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 03:37 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

You do understand there is a difference between "open to the possibility" and believing they exist?

I am open to the possibility but you are failing to produce any evidence. Evidence to you means campfire stories!

Old 02-27-2021, 05:14 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You do understand there is a difference between "open to the possibility" and believing they exist?

I am open to the possibility but you are failing to produce any evidence. Evidence to you means campfire stories!
Exactly. I have the greatest amount of respect for Jane Goodall. The difference between Jane Goodall and people like the OP that believe in Bigfoot, is that she simply doesn't rule out the possibility they exist. She's not out there promoting the existence of Bigfoot and doesn't come up with out in left field excuses why there has been no hard scientific evidence. She doesn't start talking about supernatural reasons like other dimensions. She also states that it may be a spiritual creature, meaning it exists in peoples minds who want to believe.
To quote her "“I guess I’m romantic, ” she said. “I don’t want to disbelieve.” She states she is open to all possibilities. Many of us fall into this category of wanting to believe but also being realistic about the probability that they don't exist.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:17 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:

She never said she believes they exist.

She said she wants to believe. She never said she does.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:

She also said she knew people that had encountered Sasquatch, that had NO reason to lie about it...

On the other hand, you and others on here do not consider that, in your opinion, someone is always out to make money for themselves or they are misidentifying a known animal, 'someones credibility' is not a factor to you all.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:34 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:

This. I was "open to the possibility", and was "not ruling out" its existence, until I checked out all the "evidence" on the internet, and none of it held up. I'm a lot less open, now.

I suppose it could still exist in spite of a lot of faked appearances. Kind of like how so many fake spirit mediums proliferated back in the day, that the rush for a quick buck trashed the credibility of the rare real mediums. Just because there are 100 fakes to every real one doesn't mean the real ones don't exist.

Happy, OP? I struck a compromise.

P.S. She said it could be a spirit animal. This is what Native Americans say about BF. This could explain why no remains have ever been found. (Goodall points that out, too.)

So, her statements are kind of all over the place, and are not in any one "camp".

Old 02-27-2021, 11:10 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. I was "open to the possibility", and was "not ruling out" its existence, until I checked out all the "evidence" on the internet, and none of it held up. I'm a lot less open, now.

I suppose it could still exist in spite of a lot of faked appearances. Kind of like how so many fake spirit mediums proliferated back in the day, that the rush for a quick buck trashed the credibility of the rare real mediums. Just because there are 100 fakes to every real one doesn't mean the real ones don't exist.

Happy, OP? I struck a compromise.

P.S. She said it could be a spirit animal. This is what Native Americans say about BF. This could explain why no remains have ever been found. (Goodall points that out, too.)

So, her statements are kind of all over the place, and are not in any one "camp".
I thought it mirrored what I felt about Bigfoot. I want to live in a world where Bigfoot could exist. But it is also a very politic answer. It is designed to not tick anybody off and not really give us an answer.

I think more importantly and something we don’t discuss at all in this ongoing forever fight of is it real or is it not, is why is it so important to us that we have this need to believe. I think it says something much deeper about ourselves.

My sister is very very science-based. To the point of it’s almost sad that she has no magic in her life. But it makes her happy to know the mechanics of how a bird flies, or why you can hear a hummingbird. It makes her feel like she has some control in a world we are let’s face it we don’t really have any control.

I don’t want to know how a bird flies. I am just very happy they do. I am also very happy to know the old lore of when the tree shows you it’s silver (the wind blows the leaves over) you know it’s going to rain. That a woolly bear caterpillar with a big brown stripe in the middle means a mild winter. And the Punxsutawney Phil predicts the weather!

Do I hold fast to these old saws? No, but I think they are worth being kept alive. For whatever reason something like that makes me feel rooted to the ground. These are things that my people believed. Because that’s who I got them from.

In the larger picture, I don’t care about Bigfoot. I got better things to do than research Bigfoot. But I understand the allure of research. The joy of thinking up ways to try to figure this out more. But I think it says a lot about our psyche that people hold fast to these beliefs and things that may or may not be real. And how that can model your research. In science there is a hypothesis which creates a theory via the experiments which proves the hypothesis. And what I see from all the people doing all the stuff the mistake I see consistently is that the person comes at this from a firm belief. So his confirmation bias is already going to show in whatever experiment he designs. Someone who is a strict believer is not going to design an experiment to disprove what he wishes to prove.

So the ghost shows go in with all the stuff to make sure that they find evidence. But they aren’t going in with the attitude of that place isn’t haunted, they’re going in because they’ve heard the place is haunted. I think the first ghost show that I remember was the one with TAPS and I can’t remember the name of it. They tended to go in with the attitude that something was going on and we were going to find out what was going on. And in a number of places they discovered issues that were not paranormal at all, but could cause people to think the things were paranormal. And in one place they went in and didn’t realize that the place had been thoroughly rigged with dancing light fixtures and a ghost mirror in the woman’s room. They were TICKED. That was the Moss Beach Distillery in Moss Beach, CA. Their ghost story there is quaint, unprovable and their food there is now absolutely fantastic and they do not need and hopefully have taken out all the ghost contraptions. And where they are located is right by the Pacific ocean up on a cliff — amazing views, amazing views. A friend of ours got engaged there on the patio. I do hope before I leave I can get back there one more time.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 PM

6,956 posts, read 6,880,495 times
Quote:
I think more importantly and something we don’t discuss at all in this ongoing forever fight of is it real or is it not, is why is it so important to us that we have this need to believe. I think it says something much deeper about ourselves.
I am sure some of us think there is a larger issue here than you give us credit for.

To find out more about our evolution is cool and we have been searching for the "missing Link" for ages now and never found him. The people like Darwin who say that evolution comes as a result of survival of the fittest may be wrong and there may be some species who are NOT the fittest who survive.

It may tie into Ancient Alien theory as well. We just dont know (or it has not been accepted) what the human evolution from apes was triggered by. There are various strong indications that we did NOT come from apes as an evolutionary unbroken line. Things such as the voicebox and the heavier bones which still cannot be reconciled with the ape line. If the rumours of Bigfoot having some kind of asian-sounding language are true, then it may be they do not come from the ape line at all either.

Another aspect of this is to prove the authorities know about this and are not releasing information on it. Personally, I do not think they had anything to do with genetically modifying it into existence.

Finally, there is the other cryptid issue which people seem to want to place into little boxes - Bigfoot, Dogman, Mothman, and all the other reported cases of weird creatures which have been sighted. These things make some people want to find out more about the world we live in because it would seem we know nothing really about it.

Science has a very blinkered view of what is out there and often does not acknowledge and often does not even want to find out. Of course, I recognise there are some scientists who go out exploring in the jungles and seas of the world trying to find new species and find 'extinct' old ones too.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 PM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:

She does not say she believes they exist. At the most she says she is open to the idea. I am open to the idea. Lots of people are. She also said its bizarre that we have not found any remains. I echo that opinion. And its very telling that she mentioned that.

My take from the interview is she is being nice.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I am sure some of us think there is a larger issue here than you give us credit for.

To find out more about our evolution is cool and we have been searching for the "missing Link" for ages now and never found him. The people like Darwin who say that evolution comes as a result of survival of the fittest may be wrong and there may be some species who are NOT the fittest who survive.

It may tie into Ancient Alien theory as well. We just dont know (or it has not been accepted) what the human evolution from apes was triggered by. There are various strong indications that we did NOT come from apes as an evolutionary unbroken line. Things such as the voicebox and the heavier bones which still cannot be reconciled with the ape line. If the rumours of Bigfoot having some kind of asian-sounding language are true, then it may be they do not come from the ape line at all either.

Another aspect of this is to prove the authorities know about this and are not releasing information on it. Personally, I do not think they had anything to do with genetically modifying it into existence.

Finally, there is the other cryptid issue which people seem to want to place into little boxes - Bigfoot, Dogman, Mothman, and all the other reported cases of weird creatures which have been sighted. These things make some people want to find out more about the world we live in because it would seem we know nothing really about it.

Science has a very blinkered view of what is out there and often does not acknowledge and often does not even want to find out. Of course, I recognise there are some scientists who go out exploring in the jungles and seas of the world trying to find new species and find 'extinct' old ones too.
We did not “descend from apes”. Both apes and humans have descended from a common ancestor. You may think that’s semantics, to me that’s a huge difference. Going back to genealogy, there is a well-known theory that at some point you’re going to have people in your tree that are related multiple ways. It’s already happened in mine, I have cousins who have married cousins. But like fifth cousins — they have to go back six generations were for we can find a common ancestor. Shared DNA at that point is less that 1%. And that’s just going back to like the 1700s.

If you go back, I should say can go back to the year 1000, you’ll start seeing people who are your great grandparent 14 times over and also by the way your great uncle 18 times.. mainly because every generation gets exponentially higher. So you have two parents, you have four grandparents, you have eight great grandparents, you have 16 great great grandparents. By the time you go back to the year 1000 you have more great grandparents than there are people in the earth at that time.

By the way, that’s why I want to finally hit royalty. They kept records. I can get to the 1400’s on one line, and it’s rather dodgey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal