Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at relocating to either Manchester or Birmingham from Tennessee. I'm wondering if $35,000 GBP is good or decent money for these cities. We have no kids, and we'd be living off my husband's salary. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Average income in the UK is £25,000 so with no kids you should be able to live comfortably but not extravagantly on that. Your biggest expense is likely to be rent - check out sites such as "rightmove". Is your husband's company organising the move for you ? Any pets ? their ticket across the Atlantic can be more than yours !

Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
On relocating you will probably need to get quite a bit of stuff such as electrical goods, as we run off a (better) 240V 50Hz electrical system.

Computers often have dual voltage but unless you have transformers, which are available, everything will need to be changed, especially TVs.

If there's anything you're thinking of buying such as clothes or the suchlike, get them there rather than here, as consumer goods tend to be more expensive.

If you're looking to drive a car be prepared for a shock. Although it is only one part of the equation, gas prices here will make your eyes water- do remember though that our gallon is bigger than yours- everything else is smaller! There's a good reason we tend to drive in fuel efficient cars- check out annual car tax costs as well.

My feeling is that given the extra costs incurred by relocating, and I've done it, it's going to be tight on the amount you mentioned.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the input. Right now, he's only applying for jobs. We know that most companies prefer to hire citizens, which makes sense. Why pay to relocate an American if you can hire a UK citizen? We are trying to get an idea of cost of living to make sure we aren't way off the mark salary-wise. I tend to think $40-$45,000 GBP is more in line with our lifestyle here, but I'm not too sure.

We wouldn't be willing to move without some help from the company, which, I'm sure, further decreases our appeal to foreign companies.

Bob, thanks for the info. We have 2 cats and would have to pay whatever to get them to the UK. Can't leave them behind, I'm afraid.

Jezer, thanks for the information. I knew housing and gas prices were higher. I think the US needs to wake up with regards to vehicles and artificially low gas prices, but I'm probably in the minority over here.

If there's anything else you think a potential ex-pat needs to know, please share. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Your cats will need "passports" ! Check out the PETS scheme here Travelling with pets « Defra and this for work visas UK Border Agency | Working in the UK Tax: you will still have to file a US tax return every year even though all your income will be taxed in the UK but you won't have any US tax to pay if your income is less than $90,000. Driving: you can use your US license for the first 12 months only - I would start the process for getting a UK license no later than the 6-month mark. I'm sure there is lots more to know but that's a start !

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Good point Bob.

We returned to the UK at reasonably short notice so that the dog had to spend a few weeks in quarentine.

If the vaccinations and the check to see that the rabies vaccination has been effective are done well enough in advance you can overcome that distressing and expensive hurdle.

Back when we had all of this done in 2005 there was only one lab in the US checking this and it wasn't cheap, trying to remember but around $200 comes to mind. Check with your vet.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Thank you both so much! My husband has a few resumes floating around the UK (one said they don't want noncitizens) right now. If this moves forward, I'll be asking a lot more questions!

Out of curiosity, could you compare and contrast B'ham and Manchester? Do you have a preference and why?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 AM

You'll need a phrase book for both places.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Every town and county in the UK has nice areas and not-so-nice areas so I would just go wherever I could find the best job. I wouldn't limit myself to just Manchester and Birmingham either - there are many other cities to choose from. Generally, the closer you are to London the more expensive the housing but salaries tend to be higher so that partially compensates.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Well, those are the only cities advertising openings in my husband's field. We'd be open to any country, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom