Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 AM

11 posts, read 14,992 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm hoping to make the trip from New Orleans to England the next summer before I head off the Law school. Any suggestions on where to stay (I'm hoping to stay away from the larger cities)? Costs? My friend that is coming with me is from Norfolk, so we're hoping to find somewhere there.

Also, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I was curious as to how a New Orleanian would find reception in the UK? Are English people even aware of NO? We're a strange breed, and culturally far off from your "average" Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
I hope you have a great time here.

Such broad questions, almost impossible to answer without something to narrow it down a bit.

Just think of England as very expensive and you won't be disappointed.

Of course people here have heard of NO, but mainly through films like The Big Easy and Double Jeopardy, I would suggest. The Mardi Grass has been shown and many people know about the French Quarter.

Sadly it's best known for Hurricane Katrina.

I don't see why you would be treated differently than any other American. Many Brits just lump them all together anyway.

I used to live in Texas and have driven to NO a few times and have enjoyed it very much, though Bourbon Street is not my cup of tea!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,753 times
Norfolk can be a bit off the beaten track if you want to see the country.

Somewhere like Ely is small and historic; not too far from Norfolk, while being connected to the rail network. Or maybe Ipswich in Suffolk. Peterbrough is more down at heel and affordable, but on the mainline rail service. Norwich might be big enough for stuff to do, while being close to the country.

Most Brits are as ignorant about American cultural differences, as you guys are about ours; you know what they say about people from Norfolk? Oooh arrrrr.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM

128 posts, read 242,976 times
New Orleans is a well known American city in the sense that people have heard of it, especially since the hurricane. Most probably wouldnt be able to point to it on a map though.

As for Norfolk it'll be a bit quiet there i would imagine, what sort of things are you looking to do? Is it your first time in the UK? Do you want to see all the main sights London, Edinburgh etc then relax for a bit or what?

What do you want to know the costs of?

Petrol for example today would be $7.73 roughly per US gallon!!!!

a train from london to Birmingham (120 miles) would cost £40 or $62.8 if you turn up (non rush hour) - but if you plan ahead book on trainline.com for cheap tickets in advance

A room at an average hotel would cost £60-80 in most places ($95-125) dearer in London- look at bed and breakfasts for cheaper options.

A meal in a pub would be anything from £4-15 depending on where you are, and a pint approximately £3

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisZackary View Post
I was curious as to how a New Orleanian would find reception in the UK? We're a strange breed, and culturally far off from your "average" Americans.
Friendly, especially in areas not used to tourists - like norfolk, the accent etc would be a source of conversation

Genuine question - in what way are you different? I've never been to New Orleans

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM

11 posts, read 14,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk View Post
Friendly, especially in areas not used to tourists - like norfolk, the accent etc would be a source of conversation

Genuine question - in what way are you different? I've never been to New Orleans
Sorry guys, I just realized how broad my questions were haha. I've been to London before, but didn't get to venture outside of the city. Thanks for all the suggestions.

New Orleans is a majority Catholic city surrounded by a sea of mostly Baptist and Methodist states. Jazz was invented here and the city is known for Voodoo, "loose" morals, and the BEST food on the planet. The city is often referred to as the "Northernmost Caribbean City" or "America's European City", and in some places New Orleans is more like Port-Au-Prince or Marseille than it is New York or Los Angeles. We (and state of Louisiana, as a whole) were traded back and forth between the French and Spanish for years, and it reflects in our culture, some of us still speak a French/Spanish/Native American/African/English hybrid. Also, huge amounts of Italians, Irish, German, and Filipinos have come here in the past century.
Honestly, the only way you can really "get" New Orleans is to come here. I promise the trip won't be wasted.

and this is how our funerals look

YouTube - New Orleans Jazz Funeral for tuba player Kerwin James

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisZackary View Post
Sorry guys, I just realized how broad my questions were haha. I've been to London before, but didn't get to venture outside of the city. Thanks for all the suggestions.

New Orleans is a majority Catholic city surrounded by a sea of mostly Baptist and Methodist states. Jazz was invented here and the city is known for Voodoo, "loose" morals, and the BEST food on the planet. The city is often referred to as the "Northernmost Caribbean City" or "America's European City", and in some places New Orleans is more like Port-Au-Prince or Marseille than it is New York or Los Angeles. We (and state of Louisiana, as a whole) were traded back and forth between the French and Spanish for years, and it reflects in our culture, some of us still speak a French/Spanish/Native American/African/English hybrid. Also, huge amounts of Italians, Irish, German, and Filipinos have come here in the past century.
Honestly, the only way you can really "get" New Orleans is to come here. I promise the trip won't be wasted.

and this is how our funerals look

YouTube - New Orleans Jazz Funeral for tuba player Kerwin James
Cool, it's somewhere i intend to go to in the future. I've only ever visited Florida in the Southern US, my travels have mainly been in the north and on the east and west coasts

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,753 times
I spent a couple of days at the YMCA in New Orleans; horrible dirty place.

The city itself was beautiful, and so different from all the other identikit skyscraper downtowns.

Apparently I did stray into one of the dodgier neighbourhoods, but lived to tell the tale.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,725 times
How about basing yourselves in Cambridge for the summer? Historic and interesting city, highly walkable (and bike-able)! Close to Norfolk (by car and by train). Handy for London also by fast train. You might be able to get cheap accommodation in student halls while the students are out on summer break.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
How about basing yourselves in Cambridge for the summer? Historic and interesting city, highly walkable (and bike-able)! Close to Norfolk (by car and by train). Handy for London also by fast train. You might be able to get cheap accommodation in student halls while the students are out on summer break.
Sounds like a lovely idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom