Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

I didn't really follow the whole royal wedding thing, but others I work with have, and they were talking about "the Queen's husband". Since when isn't the queen's husband the king? I thought that she was married at one time, but he must have predeceased her.

Also, why does the son of a prince automatically get the title of prince?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
The Royal Family is a brand that brings lots of money into the country from other countries.

Here in America our brand is war which takes a ton of money out of the country and gives it to other countries.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM

134 posts, read 302,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I didn't really follow the whole royal wedding thing, but others I work with have, and they were talking about "the Queen's husband". Since when isn't the queen's husband the king? I thought that she was married at one time, but he must have predeceased her.

Also, why does the son of a prince automatically get the title of prince?
The King's wife would ordinarily be the Queen, but the Queen's husband is the Queen's husband.

The Queen is, of course, the Duke of Normandy.

The Duchess of Normandy was a ferry.

Would you like me to explain cricket?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM

134 posts, read 302,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You're a bit out of date.

Gordon Brown hasn't been Prime Minister for almost a year (thank goodness). He wasn't even invited to the wedding.
There have been attempts to make sure that Gordon Brown is not forgotten.

Three of his cronies decided to make sure his name was remembered.

Given the recent problems with MP's expenses (they might be smart enough to run the country, but they're (by-and-large) too stupid to fill in a claims form without over-claiming by huge amounts) the cronies were acutely aware that although their efforts were expected to achieve startling results, those results should be achieved at minimum cost.

"Perhaps we should name an aircraft after him?"

"No, that would never do - Aircraft aren't 'green'"

"Should we name a ship after him?"

"The Titanic?"

"Well, how about a train?"

"Sounds promising ... trains don't sink and they could be classed as 'Green'."

So they went to the National Railway Museum, looked around a bit - and they found it!

4472. The ideal locomotive.

"We'll name that after him!" said the head minion.

"But it's already got a name" said the curator.

"And it might cost money"? said the number 3 minion.

"We're the government!" Said the number 2 minion. "We can do what we like. It won't cost much - All we need is a dab of green paint!"

"You can't do that!" Said the curator.

"We can do what we like. We are the government - We will do whatever we like."

And it was done.

At the stroke of a brush, 4472 - The Flying Scotsman - became 4472 - The lying Scotsman.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
The King's wife would ordinarily be the Queen, but the Queen's husband is the Queen's husband.

The Queen is, of course, the Duke of Normandy.

The Duchess of Normandy was a ferry.

Would you like me to explain cricket?
I know what cricket is NOT...I hear that fairly often. "That's not cricket!"

If the King's wife is a Queen, it would seem to follow that the Queen's husband is the King.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I know what cricket is NOT...I hear that fairly often. "That's not cricket!"

If the King's wife is a Queen, it would seem to follow that the Queen's husband is the King.
Cricket Explained

CRICKET: As explained to a foreigner...

As I understand it? A king outranks a queen, but it dosen't work in reverse. A King's wife would be known as Queen Consort, But When you have a Queen Reagent (Queen in her own right) her husband dosen't take the title of "King" and is given a lower station then hers - usually that of Prince Consort. There is no such thing as King Consort in the British Royal Family.

I believe in Prince Phillps case, His title was actually a political decision, in order to maintain the "Windsor" family name through the Queen?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-02-2011 at 02:56 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
From what I understand titles are subjective. Wills chose to be the Duke of Cambridge. His wife will be Queen in title only as will Charle's wife. If Charles should divorce his wife she is out of the family. If Wills and Kate have children and then divorce, Kate will be treated much like Di until the children are adults. The chilren of course will have the benefits as Wills as Harry. Wills first child will ascend the throne after his/her father.

I watched the day Princess Elizabeth was crowned Queen of England, and most of the Royal events around the world since. I enjoy the pagentry and rites of passage. It will be a disaster when the Queen dies as for many she is the only Monarch they have ever known.

I would make a poor commoner. There are too many rites and wrongs to remember - like no bare arms in the Abbey. But I did think it was amusing to see Camilla Parker Bowles curtsey when the Queen came through the receiving line at the chuch.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
From what I understand titles are subjective. Wills chose to be the Duke of Cambridge. His wife will be Queen in title only as will Charle's wife. If Charles should divorce his wife she is out of the family. If Wills and Kate have children and then divorce, Kate will be treated much like Di until the children are adults. The chilren of course will have the benefits as Wills as Harry. Wills first child will ascend the throne after his/her father.

I watched the day Princess Elizabeth was crowned Queen of England, and most of the Royal events around the world since. I enjoy the pagentry and rites of passage. It will be a disaster when the Queen dies as for many she is the only Monarch they have ever known.

I would make a poor commoner. There are too many rites and wrongs to remember - like no bare arms in the Abbey. But I did think it was amusing to see Camilla Parker Bowles curtsey when the Queen came through the receiving line at the chuch.
I don't think the Queen is going anywhere anytime soon. Her mother (the Queen Mother) lived to be 101 afterall. My hope is that she outlives Charles.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
They are completely irrelevant other than to those who glamorise them for celebrity reasons or think our country would be somehow different without them. They are an expensive waste of taxpayer money, and above all completely undemocratic.
Woah, so most England citizens are like you and have no respect or care about the royal family!? I always thought almost everyone in England cared and liked the royal family.

If it was the year 1200, or even the year 1700 you would be put in prison for life for saying something like that.

Anyways, I heard that England/The UK isnt the only country with this democracy/monarchy thing going on. Sweden, Denmark, and Thailand have very similar democracy/monarchy as England/UK. I think this type of government is called "Constitutional Monarchy"

Bhutan is a country that had an absolute monarch(like the way England/UK had it in the year 1400) until 2008 so this is interesting how late this country stopped being an absolute monarch.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't think the Queen is going anywhere anytime soon. Her mother (the Queen Mother) lived to be 101 afterall. My hope is that she outlives Charles.
I pretty much 'jumped to my own conclusion' that William would be the next king.

What I know about the UK would fit on the head of a pin.

--The Queen mother lived to? 101
--Chances are good HRH will do the same
--Charles would be in his 80's
--I think Charles pretty much blew it --Camilla, etc--and seems to prefer his own ideas to anyone else's--religion being an area of concern, jmo

On the other hand--lots of things could happen. Far beyond me to know.

The possibility of having Donald Trump as POTUS is disconcerting enough--Charles and Donald Trump--how would that work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom