Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 AM

295 posts, read 554,729 times

Advertisements

Wondering what are the Summers and Winters Like in Northern Ireland? I would be interested in visiiting in the Winter and Summer. Also how is the financial climate. I am told that Belfast is a now a very Hipster place to live, work and play. Your replies are appreciated. thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times
First post here on these forums.. For info I'm English, recently moved to Paris. Originally a Londoner.

I spent quite a lot of time in Belfast a couple of years ago for work reasons - visits never more than a few days at a time, so cannot brand myself as an expert.

The climate in Northern Ireland is extremely oceanic, changeable and temperate. Summers rarely get very hot (16C is normal for July) and winters never very cold (8C in January is typical). Rain falls regularly and much more than in the south of England, for example. Cloudy blustery days are the norm - totally blue skies and bright sunshine are rare!

I am interested that you have the impression that Belfast is "hipster". It's no Brooklyn, or East London, put it that way. In fact, my impression is that it is one of the most conservative and old-fashioned cities in the UK. People are very family-oriented and religious observance is much higher than elsewhere in the country. There is very little immigration or ethnic diversity beyond the two native communities. You also have to remember that, despite the "Troubles" being largely over, this is still a city largely divided on sectarian lines - huge steel seperation barriers with police check points criss-cross the city dividing the catholic/nationalist areas from the protestant/unionist ones which lend the city an atmosphere that is unparalleled in Europe or North America.

Having said that, the people are among the friendliest and open I've come across. The local dialect is a joy to hear spoken (if a little hard to understand), and the cost of living among the lowest in western Europe. The pubs are lively and the surrounding countryside gorgeous and unspoilet. And as an outsider you'll be largely unaffected by the secration strife that affects locals - in fact, contrary to popular belief, modern Belfast is one of the safest cities in the UK, with little of the casual violence and anti-social behaviour that curse the rest of the country.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Belfast and NI sound quite interesting. If I ever return to the UK I'd like to experience it.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
Wondering what are the Summers and Winters Like in Northern Ireland? I would be interested in visiiting in the Winter and Summer. Also how is the financial climate. I am told that Belfast is a now a very Hipster place to live, work and play. Your replies are appreciated. thanks
You really wouldn't want to visit in the winter. It's generally wet, cold (sometimes snow), and pretty miserable unless you're just there to visit relatives and stay inside. Summer and late spring would be the best time to go...it's never hot but you'd have less chance of wet, windy, cold weather.

As for Belfast being hip or trendy...I've not heard this. I'm sure there are some younger, hipper, perhaps "up and coming" neighborhoods but overall, Belfast is a very industrial looking city...not that much going on from my past experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom