Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times

Advertisements

Germans

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Well, I am sorry I offended you.
You didn't offend me in the slightest. I was just giving my opinion that most people are not interested comparing racial features of Europeans. Maybe other British posters will be along shortly to contradict me.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
the irish only look white

were black on the inside

the blacks of europe

Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, after dozens of threads on race alone on this forum, I think people are tired of them. It's always mostly English speakers starting them, and they are the countries most hung up about race, go figure
I strongly disagree with this. My experience is that countries with dark-skinned non-English speaking people are more hung up on race than us. Why does my Indian friend long for a fair-skinned Indian girl, and why do lighter skinned Haitians form that country's elite? We tend to be educated not to discuss it from a very early age.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
I strongly disagree with this. My experience is that countries with dark-skinned non-English speaking people are more hung up on race than us. Why does my Indian friend long for a fair-skinned Indian girl, and why do lighter skinned Haitians form that country's elite? We tend to be educated not to discuss it from a very early age.
I was strictly speaking in the confines of this forum. No other language sphere of the several that participate in this forum, start so many race related threads.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
I talked to a Welshman once, he reckoned the Irish were just Welsh who could swim !

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the irish only look white

were black on the inside

the blacks of europe

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
I would probably say Danes and Norwegians look the most similar, I think the Dutch kinda have a unique look going on and Germans look pretty different from the people of the Isles. Genetic charts show that Danes and Norwegians fall somewhere in between Celtic and English people and Swedes.
Also the fairer looking Spanish and Portuguese people definitely resemble the Welsh quite a bit. And would you say due to the Roman occupation, some Britons look somewhat Italian especially in the south, I have seen quite a few Brits with 'Roman' noses. Though I've heard the occupation had very little genetic imprint, it's kinda hard to imagine it having none whatsoever.
My background is French, English and a smidge of Irish. I am fair skinned, blue eyed and have been mistaken for everything from Polish to Swedish and one time Italian which I couldn't figure out. My family is primarily English with the paternal bloodline coming directly from England and migrating to Plymouth Massachusetts when all the religious turmoil began over there in the 1600's. I have researched our geneology and it is full of history including a Great, Great, Great Grandfather who LOVED the women! LOL was married at least 4 times.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
You didn't offend me in the slightest. I was just giving my opinion that most people are not interested comparing racial features of Europeans. Maybe other British posters will be along shortly to contradict me.
I wasn't trying to be racist, I was just talking about physical appearance. Racism would be, if I were to assign character traits to appearance. I admit there are quite a few threads here but what do you suggest, that the subject is banned? If you hate the topic, why not just ignore it?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be racist, I was just talking about physical appearance. Racism would be, if I were to assign character traits to appearance. I admit there are quite a few threads here but what do you suggest, that the subject is banned? If you hate the topic, why not just ignore it?
I think it's just that we (as British people) don't focus on these things as much as other nationalities. Let's face it, we're all a mixed bag. Nobody is "pure" anything and in reality, you would have a hard time telling many different nationalities apart.

I am somewhat interested in it, but from a historical perspective rather than a racial one. With Americans, I think that a lot of the interest comes from a desire to trace your ancestral roots / heritage. The same isn't true in the UK as the UK is a much older country, whereas the US was founded by settlers.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
It's a mixture. British roots can be traced to many places. Most people in the UK don't really think much about where they might be from before their ancestors came to what is now the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom