Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Kids are not the same as full grown adults, most american children are blonde, yet only a minority of american adults are blond (the big majority is brown haired) the same applies for the UK and other anglo countries.

There is only a small patch in the east of the UK where there are more blond people, which is hardly turning the rest of the UK really blond.
Ha!Ha!Ha! See, you have to think just a little, before you make a statement. Firstly you were saying that there was no blonde hair in the U.K., now you're saying only children have it? Then you were saying that there was very little blonde hair in Ireland, now that you saw blonde Irish people, you're changing your statement. Your ignorance of British and Irish people drove you to foolishness. In any northern European population, whether Anglo-Celtic, Scandinavian, Dutch, etc ... blondism decreases in adulthood. I had red hair as a child and now it's more of a light auburn. Your statement is irrelevant. The majority of American children do not have blonde hair, it's way too diverse. Only blonde in places where the majority are of Northern European descent(British Isles, Scandinavia, Low countries, Germany, Poland), You forgetting many Americans also have Italian, French, Spanish, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese ancestry and more. In America, a typical "Anglo" mean having blonde hair and blue eyes. Australia, New Zealand, White South Africa and many Canadians are more similar to the Brits.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is NOTHING like 47% blond peoples in Surrey!!!! I know I live nearby! Where did you get that statistic! I would say 10% 15% at best! Also you do realise that Most people in the UK that are black skinned are not immigrants don't you? So why shouldn't they be included in the figures?? Maybe we could just exclude all brunettes too! Now I don't think Britain's 'resemble' any particular ethnicity but the most common look is white with dark hair.
What I mean by immigrant is that they're originally not European who are the indigenous people of Britain. I did not only say Blacks, but also other immigrants who aren't indigenous. Should White people living in Nigeria be included as Bantu-speakers? You're always out of context? Since you included everybody, then the figure might drop to 15%, because non-Natives and non-indigenous are predominantly black-haired. Should we do the same for Holland where there's a much higher proportion of immigrants? I know the numbers will be similar or lower! You're so irrelevant and emotional, this is not about your children?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
What I mean by immigrant is that they're originally not European who are the indigenous people of Britain. I did not only say Blacks, but also other immigrants who aren't indigenous. Should White people living in Nigeria be included as Bantu-speakers? You're always out of context? Since you included everybody, then the figure might drop to 15%, because non-Natives and non-indigenous are predominantly black-haired. Should we do the same for Holland where there's a much higher proportion of immigrants? I know the numbers will be similar or lower! You're so irrelevant and emotional, this is not about your children?
Anyway, the majority of White British and Irish adults have brown hair as do most Europeans. That's my point, and are certainly not that much different from other Northern Europeans around them. There's nothing so outstanding from them to separate them from their neighbors.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Kids are not the same as full grown adults, most american children are blonde, yet only a minority of american adults are blond (the big majority is brown haired) the same applies for the UK and other anglo countries.

There is only a small patch in the east of the UK where there are more blond people, which is hardly turning the rest of the UK really blond.

This is a Dutch women's rugby team, many are blonde, clearly showing their Teutonic heritage.

This is a group of Irish and Scottish women, there a fair share of blondes as well, they are mainly of Celtic, but also Teutonic on the Scottish side. These aren't children either, but full grown women for your information.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:

Its plain utterly nosense. I've been to britain quite a lot, and there is no way in most areas there are more than 10% of blondes, the white skin dark hair looks is by far the commonest among ethnic white brits, no ethnic brit would disagree. Dutch and even germans have much more natural blondism, In britain the vast majority of blonde women you see are fake ones. I repeat , no ethnic brit would disagree on this, only you, who arent even an ethnic brit born and raised..

When I went to britain I was surprised of how few natural blondes were there, most people looked fairly white but dark haired, the most common pigmentation among the brits is the robbie williamns kind of pigmentation:

But I know you will disagree and keep posting your galleries full of paul bettany look-alikes, meanwhile the ethnic brits will keep doing a big facepalm.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM

But I know you will disagree and keep posting your galleries full of paul bettany look-alikes, meanwhile the ethnic brits will keep doing a big facepalm.[/quote]

Paul Bettany look-alikes? You're definitely not smart, but at least you have a sense of humour. Britain isn't the only country where women bleach their hair, Scandinavian women also bleach their hair to retain their childhood blondism and even more in Eastern Europe. So stop your excuses. I went to England several times, I have English ancestry through my grandfather who was born in West Lindsey, Lincolnshire! So don't tell me I'm not ethnically British. The average adult male and female Briton is obviously White, fair-skinned, mainly brown-haired(of various shades) and light-eyes, sort of long-headed. I think Hugh Grant would be a much better example than R. Williams. And definitely not Southern European as you implied.

Now within every population, there are what we call typical. In Britain, blonde-headedness is usually stereotyped as "English" because of the historical connection with the Anglo-Saxon tribes, this doesn't mean that blondes are only found in England or that all English are blondes. You so easily get confused with my statements, I would encourage you to read them thoroughly! Daniel Craig and Florence Colgate are good examples for that.

Now for the Irish/Scottish, the stereotype mostly goes with red hair, freckles. One of the reasons why
"gingerism" is high in Britain, has been suggested it's due to people with ginger hair being labelled as "Irish". Now if you had some historical knowledge, you would understand. My example is Sheamus O'Shaunessy.

Darker types stereotyped as "Welsh/Cornish" to some even "Irish" as well are now similar to the examples you've given such as beautiful Catherine Zeta-Jones or your example Robbie Williams, these are not the average of the entire British population, but are found more "attractive-looking" by most British and American standards. I've been to Wales during the Rugby World Cup in Cardiff, it was so hard to find women like Zeta Jones, they look more like Charlotte Church, the Welsh singer.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 AM

The percentages I posted are not based by my opinions or personal feelings of who is blonde. Those are the results done by a study carefully done on thousands of people of English ancestry in their respective counties and that they had to be natives to those areas. Blonde hair is usually defined as a variation from very dark (near light brown) to extremely light almost white. They shouldn't surprise anyone, because studies done in Germany on hair color finds places in northern Germany to have 53% with blonde hair, so what's the big deal? It depends how blonde hair was defined.
My own definition of blonde hair is in the examples below;

These individuals from Germany, Norway and Ireland perfectly show it. If I did a census according to my own definition, very few people would be blonde even in Scandinavia! This is why I encourage you not base it on your only personal opinion, that's being narrow-minded or plainly ignorant. Some blonde hair according to a French/Italian census might be seen as non-blonde in England or Denmark. The same goes for red hair, dark red hair is not seen as red in the British Isles, but in many other European nation is seen as red hair.

This woman has dark red hair and green eyes, but in the opinion of people who are in the British Isles or from an Anglo-Celtic society, it would go unnoticed, can even be considered as simply as dark hair in fact. There are many people in Ireland that have this hair colouring. So we have to be careful when we judge hair colour.

Last edited by saxonwold; 06-04-2013 at 01:54 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
The percentages I posted are not based by my opinions or personal feelings of who is blonde. Those are the results done by a study carefully done on thousands of people of English ancestry in their respective counties and that they had to be natives to those areas. Blonde hair is usually defined as a variation from very dark (near light brown) to extremely light almost white. They shouldn't surprise anyone, because studies done in Germany on hair color finds places in northern Germany to have 53% with blonde hair, so what's the big deal? It depends how blonde hair was defined.
My own definition of blonde hair is in the examples below;

These individuals from Germany, Norway and Ireland perfectly show it. If I did a census according to my own definition, very few people would be blonde even in Scandinavia! This is why I encourage you not base it on your only personal opinion, that's being narrow-minded or plainly ignorant. Some blonde hair according to a French/Italian census might be seen as non-blonde in England or Denmark. The same goes for red hair, dark red hair is not seen as red in the British Isles, but in many other European nation is seen as red hair.

This woman has dark red hair and green eyes, but in the opinion of people who are in the British Isles or from an Anglo-Celtic society, it would go unnoticed, can even be considered as simply as dark hair in fact. There are many people in Ireland that have this hair colouring. So we have to be careful when we judge hair colour.
Well then you definitely have never been to scandinavia, Denmark and Sweden are very blonde as a whole, while norway seems to be more varies in hair color (still lot of clear blondes), and Iceland even more.

British people are quite dark haired compared to Danes and swedes.

In britain there are tons of guys everywhere the place with dark brown hair, in many places of denmark and sweden it seems that everybody is blonde or atleast lightbrown/golden brown hair, the same sensation I had in the Netherlands (outside big cities) and some parts of germany.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 AM

A blond Cornish male. According to a study done on people of England, the frequency of blonde hair in the county of Cornwall is 30%.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Mod Note:

This is THE ethnicity thread for the UK, all subsequent other threads will be removed, or merged with this thread.

Thank you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom