Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a lame post, but to me Britain = rain. Do you think it's fair that Britain has a reputation for being rainy and maybe even dreary?

Here are some other weather related questions:
One of my friends once told me there had been a tornado in England. I didn't know that was possible. What else happens there that we don't know about?

How badly does it snow there in winter?

What do you like and dislike about the weather in Britain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
It rains more in the West
Tornados happen , but are miniscule.
Snow happens very rarely..It depends how far North you are. I`m old enough to remember -14 temps here, but that was 25yrs ago. Minus 6 or 7 is the lowest, and unusual these days..Unless you live at the top of Ben Nevis or above 2,000 ft..

I hate the Brit weather these days...Being born and bred here we used to have seasons...Everything now is so bland...

Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,503 times
On the subject of tornado's, I saw a t.v. programme earlier this year that stated their are more tornado's in the UK than anywhere else in the world (not sure if that is purely on numbers or per square mile of landmass).

But as Lincs said, they tend to be rather small and weedy compared to the Wizard of Oz stuff you get in the states.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
That's odd. Maybe Britain should be called Tornado Alley instead of the central US

Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
No not at all..They happen and have for years. I know of no one [I repeat] that has suffered the same way as in the US...

Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,932,133 times
A lot of Britain isn't very wet in terms of rainfall per year. London has substantially less rain than NYC for example. What makes it awful is the cloudiness and drizzle. On the East Coast there are fewer grey days--it's either sunny or raining. Truly sunny days are a rarity in a lot of the UK.

Of course if you're from the PNW you'll love it--the climate is very similar. (although friends in Seattle tell me their summers are very nice, and more reliably sunny than the UK--it just sucks for the other 10 months).

South coast is the sunniest part of England, the SW (Devon/Cornwall) the mildest, and (IIRC) Essex is the driest (rainfall decreases west to east).

The north, especially the NW, can get pretty dreary.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's odd. Maybe Britain should be called Tornado Alley instead of the central US
I didn't know Britain was called the central US

Yes, the weather can be dreary and disappointing in the summer, even the snow doesn't amount to much. But when it is sunny it is one of the most gorgeous places you can be, the villages look beautiful, the parks are full of happy sunbathers and the whole place just looks picturesque, depending on where you live of course. I used to live in County Durham and we could have gloomy days of fog and drizzle and then the next day it could be the most beautiful sunny day with blue skies. For now, I shall content myself with the high 90s here in Texas and oh what is that, ah yes a blue sky

Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,932,133 times
Oh yes, when it's sunny it's glorious. My in-laws live in south Devon and we were down there in June, and that's just wonderful.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM

177 posts, read 815,308 times
[quote=bjh;4968584]Sorry if this is a lame post, but to me Britain = rain. Do you think it's fair that Britain has a reputation for being rainy and maybe even dreary?

Yes, it's dreary and damp! It rains when you least expect it as well. To sum up the British weather = one minute it is rainy the next minute sunny and so on...you never know what to wear for the best! You end up asking yourself - do I take a jacket or not? Do I need a brolly in July? etc....

Here are some other weather related questions:
One of my friends once told me there had been a tornado in England. I didn't know that was possible. What else happens there that we don't know about?

Yes, but it was a rare occurance - I even remember feeling an earthquake back in the late eighties I think it was!!!!

How badly does it snow there in winter?

Depends where you live really - the North West where I am from,it snows but rarely. Parts of Kent get snow and of course Scotland which just gets the worst weather imaginable.

What do you like and dislike about the weather in Britain?

What do I like about it? Nothing really - I remember one really hot summer of my childhood in 1976 and that was it!!!!!!!! It's too unpredictable. I like living in the states ( Minnesota) now because at least they are guaranteed a summer albeit the winter is going to be a challenge but I have a great 3000 sqft house to rattle around in here which I would not have had in the UK!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,895 times
Mumof3 - We used to live in Plymouth and Golden Valley. Minnesota copes very well with the winter as they have a ton of ploughs and the city is connected by skyways so in the really cold weather, you can drive downtown, park your car in a heated garage and then walk the skyways from store, to restaurant etc. I love Minnesota. Last winter we lived in Chicago and it was horrible. The don't have as many ploughs so you never knew when you were going to be able to get out and they don't embrace the winter as much as MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom