Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times

Advertisements

BBC is going to have a special tonight on how marrying a Royal can turn two sleeping bagels into a worldwide sensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Not as many as there are for those at the other end of the social spectrum. Celebrity gossip and Royal sycophancy is only bread and circuses to create a mystical allure and illusion of the e'xtraordinary' in the over-privileged and generally banal.

I spent many years living on South Kilburn estate and I can assure you that privacy was not a term we were familiar with. Walls were thin and every argument, detail and facet of life was laid bare in gory detail whether we wanted to endure it or not.

These upper class indulgences about topless sunbathing and the sacred bastion of "privacy" are all noble aspirations but no-one, not even the Royals can expect that virtue to be upheld all of the time. It's not a reality for most of the Earth's population and if this is the biggest grievance that full-time Royal layabout Kate has to contend with then pardon me if I fail to get a full head of steam in ire and rancour.

Maybe if Brits weren't so obsessed with turning their pale skins brown then she wouldn't have had to worry about it. Having recently returned from Spain where topless bathing is such a frequent occurence no-one gives a second glance and there's nothing in the least bit "smutty" about it i find it hard to empaphise with the Duke of Arsehire's (or whatever the Prince calls himself) whinging.

Having pale skin in the summer is a sin nearly as grave in magnitude in the UK as being anti-monarchist unemployed in a tabloid. I remember having to work indoors one week-end when it was roasting hot and having the expectation placed upon me when I went out in the evening that I should explain the pallor of my pasty white skin as if I'd commited a social faux paux akin to farting in an elevator.

Not being the slightest bit engrossed in the tedious pastime of lying in the baking hot sun (the temperature rises above 15 degrees and Londoners are scampering to the nearest part to bear their pasty white chests in the sun) I have never comprehended this very superficial and mundane excercise in futility. Each to their own though. Awfully dull business if you ask me. "Look how brown my skin is". Well, whoopee-dooh for you!

It always bemuses me how much the middle-class are always so determinedly dogged in passionately wailing for the privacy of the elite but unequivocal when it comes to eroding the privacy of those who inhabit the (perceived) lower rungs of the British social ladder. No-one seems to care that the privacy of the average citizen in the UK is open to all kinds of corporate intrusion and Government interference but forbid the day Lady Kate or whatever her ridiculous title is has her breasts pctured in a tabloid.

Salatious diazepam to quell the compliant masses into docility. Much ado about nothing. Bread and circuses, mere bread and circues.....

i wasnt looking for a chapter from marx on class struggle , nothing worse than a socilist bore

im not in favour of the concept of monarchy at all

is it not possible to think shes charming , despite her role and possition

she has learned a hard lesson

Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Not as many as there are for those at the other end of the social spectrum. Celebrity gossip and Royal sycophancy is only bread and circuses to create a mystical allure and illusion of the e'xtraordinary' in the over-privileged and generally banal.

I spent many years living on South Kilburn estate and I can assure you that privacy was not a term we were familiar with. Walls were thin and every argument, detail and facet of life was laid bare in gory detail whether we wanted to endure it or not.

These upper class indulgences about topless sunbathing and the sacred bastion of "privacy" are all noble aspirations but no-one, not even the Royals can expect that virtue to be upheld all of the time. It's not a reality for most of the Earth's population and if this is the biggest grievance that full-time Royal layabout Kate has to contend with then pardon me if I fail to get a full head of steam in ire and rancour.

Maybe if Brits weren't so obsessed with turning their pale skins brown then she wouldn't have had to worry about it. Having recently returned from Spain where topless bathing is such a frequent occurence no-one gives a second glance and there's nothing in the least bit "smutty" about it i find it hard to empaphise with the Duke of Arsehire's (or whatever the Prince calls himself) whinging.

Having pale skin in the summer is a sin nearly as grave in magnitude in the UK as being anti-monarchist unemployed in a tabloid. I remember having to work indoors one week-end when it was roasting hot and having the expectation placed upon me when I went out in the evening that I should explain the pallor of my pasty white skin as if I'd commited a social faux paux akin to farting in an elevator.

Not being the slightest bit engrossed in the tedious pastime of lying in the baking hot sun (the temperature rises above 15 degrees and Londoners are scampering to the nearest part to bear their pasty white chests in the sun) I have never comprehended this very superficial and mundane excercise in futility. Each to their own though. Awfully dull business if you ask me. "Look how brown my skin is". Well, whoopee-dooh for you!

It always bemuses me how much the middle-class are always so determinedly dogged in passionately wailing for the privacy of the elite but unequivocal when it comes to eroding the privacy of those who inhabit the (perceived) lower rungs of the British social ladder. No-one seems to care that the privacy of the average citizen in the UK is open to all kinds of corporate intrusion and Government interference but forbid the day Lady Kate or whatever her ridiculous title is has her breasts pctured in a tabloid.

Salatious diazepam to quell the compliant masses into docility. Much ado about nothing. Bread and circuses, mere bread and circues.....
So if your wife's or daughter's breasts were plastered all over tabloids without their permission, you would have no problem with it? I disagree with you, I think there would be much more of an outrage if this were a 'normal' woman. Somehow most people find it perfectly acceptable that celebrities lose all their right to privacy, even in their own backyard. I don't care how "privileged" celebrities are, I would never want to be in their position.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i wasnt looking for a chapter from marx on class struggle , nothing worse than a socilist bore

im not in favour of the concept of monarchy at all

is it not possible to think shes charming , despite her role and possition

she has learned a hard lesson
Right you are bob, nothing worse. Another excerpt of barstool philosophy as ascribed by the firecracker wisdom of irish_bob is a far more enthralling and engrossing epistle I take it. But relax comrade bob, Marx has nothing to do with the fact that the idealistic notion of 'privacy' as encapsulated in this thread is just a fantasy that doesn't exist for anyone. But since you brought it up.....

Perhaps if people spent more time reading Marx instead of convenient caricatures of Marx as diluted through Sun columnists and boorish commentators on the blogosphere then at least the country would have a better understanding of the economy they are working in rather than in weeny bitesize Sun Says snippets for mainstream simpleton consumption along the lines of "White Van Man Says dat unions, decent wages and taxes are fer commies, end of discussion. Now on to more interesting matters, get yer nut round these Melons On Page 3, don't get many of them ter th pound guv, phwooar, get em out for the lads" faux working-man nonsense as scribed by Oxbridge graduates at the currant bun.

You don't have to be an ardent Marxist to have respect for the magnitude of the visionary prowess of what he foresaw as the inherent fragilities in unrestrained capitalism and as Nouriel Roubini the award winning economist (the only esteemed economist to predict our current crisis and is by no means a radical) has pointed out the same impressive aspects of his work then all I can say is I'd rather read a Chapter on Marx than have to suffer the tedium of another sermon from another ponderous tabloid bore who lives their lives through the tabloids. Not for me bob but if that's your caper all the best to you.

As for Kate I don't sincerely believe you know her well enough to judge. Alot of people are charming in life bob, especially those who have an army of meticulously choreographed press relations officers working on their behalf whose job it is to massage their image to a compliant and Royal doting media.

But unless you yourself are on familiar terms with Kate personally I find it hard to believe how you personally have galvanised any terms of familiarity with the woman that haven't come from a glossy mag or a second hand trawl through the gutter tabloid archives. In other words either the perception of Kate as relayed through the relentless PR machine that is the vehemently pro-Royalist press or the second hand gossip which you and other posters see fit to denegrate.

I personally don't care how charming she is. It's the fact that £600,000 of taxayer's money has gone to the most privileged family in the country this year on booze alone that blows my trumpet. They are more than capable of funding their own outdated pomp and shennanigans.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 09-15-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
So if your wife's or daughter's breasts were plastered all over tabloids without their permission, you would have no problem with it? I disagree with you, I think there would be much more of an outrage if this were a 'normal' woman. Somehow most people find it perfectly acceptable that celebrities lose all their right to privacy, even in their own backyard. I don't care how "privileged" celebrities are, I would never want to be in their position.
I had a girlfriend whose breasts were plastered all over the Sun without her permission on a sunny August Bank Holiday in Bournemouth. No-one asked her permission. We didn't even know the picture was taken. We shrugged, laughed about it and moved on. Far too many pressing concerns to contend with.

Principally I agree in the idealistic freedom of privacy but considering the magnitude of what we are facing as a world at present and the struggles that are costing people's lives on a daily basis then I find it insulting that this so called 'miscarriage of justice' is getting people so steamed up.

If you seriously believe that this is some kind of severe trauma that makes you feel pity for the Royals then all can say is you must have lived a very sheltered life. Most of my pals didn't even have a room to themselves when they pooped their cherries. Two couples per room in a chalet in Bognor Regis.
Needless to say them was the days.

The Duke Of Arsehire needs to get over himself and quit blabbering.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 09-15-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 PM

272 posts, read 322,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
The difference between a page three model getting her kit off for a picture and stories like this is like comparing chalk with cheese. A page three model has posed for the pictures, been paid to do it and has given permission, none of which apply to Kate Middleton, or Harry for that matter.

It's got nothing to do really with being shocked at the nudity, we don't live in that sort of world these days. It's to do with having no consent, lack of respect, invasion of privacy and basically a lack of any ethics.
I always wonder how these photographers and newspapers would feel if that was their daughters breasts splashed all over the papers without her permission.
they will sue for money!

this is all they care about these days

Old 09-15-2012, 01:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
How incompetent and clueless are Metropolitan Police Royalty Protection Branch officers?

Suppose this had been a terrorist with a sniper rifle instead of a paparazzi with a camera? Ever wonder why we never see naked picture of Michelle Obama or Malia Obama doing something stupid? Because we use competent, effective security measures and teams of properly trained US Secret Service special agents and uniformed officers.

Royalty Protection Officers ... so stupid they can't even figure out how to stop someone from climbing onto the roof of Buckingham Palace or walking into the Queen's bedroom.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Yeah, nudity isn't so shocking to Europe, but curiosity is still common to anyone in the world.

What IS disturbing about this is that someone got into a CHATEAU to take these pictures. They weren't taken from a sailboat that pulled up adjacent to theirs. This is what makes it kind of sickening.

Still, I don't understand the obsession people have with the Royals. It is exponential compared to attention given to the first families in the US. We no longer know what the Bush twins are doing. Ditto with Chelsea Clinton. Thankfully, we hear very little of that.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
I had a girlfriend whose breasts were plastered all over the Sun without her permission on a sunny August Bank Holiday in Bournemouth. No-one asked her permission. We didn't even know the picture was taken. We shrugged, laughed about it and moved on. Far too many pressing concerns to contend with.

Principally I agree in the idealistic freedom of privacy but considering the magnitude of what we are facing as a world at present and the struggles that are costing people's lives on a daily basis then I find it insulting that this so called 'miscarriage of justice' is getting people so steamed up.

If you seriously believe that this is some kind of severe trauma that makes you feel pity for the Royals then all can say is you must have lived a very sheltered life. Most of my pals didn't even have a room to themselves when they pooped their cherries. Two couples per room in a chalet in Bognor Regis.
Needless to say them was the days.

The Duke Of Arsehire needs to get over himself and quit blabbering.
This is different though isn't it? Presumably your girlfriend had her breasts out on a public beach or similar and was caught on camera anonymously ie nobody would have known her from Adam or would have given her a second look.

If on the other hand someone had crept into your garden, taken a picture of your girlfriend naked on your property, published it in the paper deliberately and then named your girlfriend are you telling me you would have just shrugged it off?

If so you must be a very liberal and forgiving person.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
This is different though isn't it? Presumably your girlfriend had her breasts out on a public beach or similar and was caught on camera anonymously ie nobody would have known her from Adam or would have given her a second look.

If on the other hand someone had crept into your garden, taken a picture of your girlfriend naked on your property, published it in the paper deliberately and then named your girlfriend are you telling me you would have just shrugged it off?

If so you must be a very liberal and forgiving person.
i don't think we can develop an informed opinion without seeing the relevant pics of his girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom