Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times

Advertisements

How does this work out.

As a British expat I have to pay about 3 times the price for an online/residential Uni course than a foreigner (from EU) living in the UK - there is also some bizarre rule for Scotland too.

isn't this wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,121 times
All EU countries offer a reciprocal agreement with each other that they will offer home rates to citizens from elsewhere in the EU. So the fact that a German student will get subsidised (home) rates when studying in France is fair because sh/e will, via taxation, be paying for French students to recieve equivalent preference when they study in Germany. (People coming from much of th EU to study in the UK do rather badly out of this, as they have paid/will pay into systems that subsidise university places very heavily, often meaning no fees, whereas here we have all but abolished subsidy for many courses and fees are £9000 per year for home and EU students).

If you do not live in the EU, then you are not paying into a system that offers these reciprocal benefits, and as such you have no entitlement to them.

The thing about Scotland I'm unsure about.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
All EU countries offer a reciprocal agreement with each other that they will offer home rates to citizens from elsewhere in the EU. So the fact that a German student will get subsidised (home) rates when studying in France is fair because sh/e will, via taxation, be paying for French students to recieve equivalent preference when they study in Germany. (People coming from much of th EU to study in the UK do rather badly out of this, as they have paid/will pay into systems that subsidise university places very heavily, often meaning no fees, whereas here we have all but abolished subsidy for many courses and fees are £9000 per year for home and EU students).

If you do not live in the EU, then you are not paying into a system that offers these reciprocal benefits, and as such you have no entitlement to them.

That's not correct. Anybody attending a German university will pay the same tuition as a German citizen. Which is like 200 Euros per Semester.

Don't you pay a whole lot more as a E.U. student in the U.K.?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:

Scotland is a bit weird. When my daughter went to Glasgow Uni some years ago, non-UK EU students were treated the same as Scottish students who did not pay tuition fees but English students had to pay (although not as much as overseas students).

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
That's not correct. Anybody attending a German university will pay the same tuition as a German citizen. Which is like 200 Euros per Semester.

Don't you pay a whole lot more as a E.U. student in the U.K.?
Sorry you misunderstand me - the reciprocal agreement means all EU students pay the home rate for the country they are studying in, not the country they're from. Sorry for any ambiguity.

The UK charges the same to all students from anywhere in the EU, including the UK.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Scotland is a bit weird. When my daughter went to Glasgow Uni some years ago, non-UK EU students were treated the same as Scottish students who did not pay tuition fees but English students had to pay (although not as much as overseas students).
I think it's basically down to the fact that with high fees in England, England and Scotland being attached to each other, and both speaking the same language, Scottish universities would be overrun with applications from English students if they gave them free tuition. Those factors don't apply to other EU countries, which are further away, speak different languages, and mostly offer free university places themselves anyway. It's kind of unfair that such a distinction exists, but not really any more unfair than a Danish or German student having to pay £9k a year to study in England, while an English student can go to one of those countries and study for free.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Because the UK bows down to the Immigrants wholeheartedly.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Because the UK bows down to the Immigrants wholeheartedly.
EU nationals have the right to live work and study in other EU countries. British nationals enjoy the same benefit and plenty have taken it up. My son spent a very happy year at university in Granada as part of his UK university course.

Most countries value young, educated and intelligent people coming to study and possibly work.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
But my blood is British as is that of my ancestors, and I paid taxes when I lived in the UK.

surely that gives me more right than a foreigner?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
EU nationals have the right to live work and study in other EU countries. British nationals enjoy the same benefit and plenty have taken it up. My son spent a very happy year at university in Granada as part of his UK university course.

but what is the quality like of Unis in places like Estonia, Bulgaria, Romania?

the same, or worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom