Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times

Advertisements

Don't want it to happen. They are from Northern Ireland, keep it that way. It would just cause trouble for the south to. I don't want to see it happen. They want to stay in the UK, that's fine. Everybody wins(well the vast majority anyway). We cant afford it anyway.

I disagree with allowing them to have Irish passports to. Its part of the UK, not the ROI. They go under the queen. Why should they be able to carry the passport of a republic state? The problems up there have been going on for a long time. We've come a long way with the peace process. This would only damage it and bring trouble down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Why should the UK 'give back' Northern Ireland, when the original 6 counties voted to remain part of the United Kingdom? That is a choice made by the majority, and it would be undemocratic to forcefully return Northern Ireland to the Republic when neither side wants that.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Exactly. Both sides have to want it. Ask most people in the Republic if they want NI back, they will tell you no, they want there job back instead.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I wish I could find the article - I read last year that a small majority of Catholics in Northern Ireland would prefer to remain part of the UK (and of course a vast majority of Protestants). The Republic is taking some pretty hard economic licks lately and that has to weigh on everyone's minds regardless of religion (or whatever).

Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I wish I could find the article - I read last year that a small majority of Catholics in Northern Ireland would prefer to remain part of the UK (and of course a vast majority of Protestants). The Republic is taking some pretty hard economic licks lately and that has to weigh on everyone's minds regardless of religion (or whatever).
This is the most recent I could find from June 2012.
Border poll: Just 7% of voters would say yes to Irish unification tomorrow - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
I really can't see a United Ireland happening anytime soon. There has to be a referendum with the majority of Northern Irish agreeing and there would also have to be a referendum in the Republic whether this would go ahead. Most people in the ROI want a peaceful life and to have the economy improve. The same goes for Northern Ireland. As I said previously the Republic of Ireland is not in any position to finance Northern Ireland.

Both Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland know that they are financially better off in the UK. There is also no discrimation now to fuel the Catholics to want to join the Republic. There is really no great benefit to anyone to have a United Ireland. There is freedom of movement across the border and mutual cooperation. Things can only improve as time goes on.

Also the relationship between the UK and Ireland has never been better.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol are you mad? That would lead to death and destruction! Do you think Protestant northern Irish would stand buy and let that happen?

if a day arrives when the majority of the provinces citizens wish to join up with the rest of Ireland , the unionist population will surely respect the mandate of the majority , I cant see another ulster covenant gaining much traction the next time round , their is no bonar law in London to commit treason

Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why should the UK 'give back' Northern Ireland, when the original 6 counties voted to remain part of the United Kingdom? That is a choice made by the majority, and it would be undemocratic to forcefully return Northern Ireland to the Republic when neither side wants that.
whats this vote you refer to

look up the " irish treaty " , their was no vote which is usually the case with partition

Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I stand corrected, but it's obvious that the majority of people in 'Ulster' at the time were definitely in favour of remaining in the Union, and that holds true today. There is simply no appetite for Irish reunification. There is nothing to give back.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I stand corrected, but it's obvious that the majority of people in 'Ulster' at the time were definitely in favour of remaining in the Union, and that holds true today. There is simply no appetite for Irish reunification. There is nothing to give back.

its not going to happen in the next twenty years but I would not be surprised to see it happen in the next fifty , its a flawed point to claim that the majority of people in ( what is now northern Ireland ) were opposed to independence from the uk a century ago , like I said , northern Ireland - ulster was not a separate state - statelet back then so the unionist population at the time , effectively revolted against the wishes of the majority , they were of course aided by bonar law who went against the british liberal government of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom