Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

The Glasgow GIrls were a group of gifted women artists formed by the woman who went on to marry Charles Rennie Mackintosh.. Margaret MacDonald.. who was supposed to be the real artist and talent in the marriage.. I dont know how valuable any of their work is now but my aunt has a lovely piece by Dorothy Dorman , one of these talented women my aunt claims..

Glasgow School of Art - Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool museums

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/arts/m...ckintosh.shtml
http://www.glitzqueen.com/art/mackintoshes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:37 AM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Dizzy, I actually saw the "Glasgow Girls - Women in Art and Design 1880 - 1920" exhibition at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Glasgow many years back. The exhibition ran from 24th August 1990 - 6th January 1991.

I still have the mounted poster from the exhibition.
You can still buy the book from the exhibition:
Glasgow Girls: Women in Art and Design, 1880-1920: Jude Burkhauser: 9781841951515: Amazon.com: Books

I loved Charles Rennie Mackintosh when I was at art school many moons ago. I eventually grew out of liking that particular Glasgow Art Nouveau style, but I still have a large framed architectural drawing of the Glasgow School of Art hanging pride of place on my wall. I still love it now.
(if I get time Dizzy later on today I'll photograph it, and the exhibition poster, and post it here)
Charles Rennie Mackintoshes style was simpler and not ostentatious as much of the Art Nouveau style around at the time (and more elegant for it).

Dizzy, I think there is a lot to be said for the phrase 'behind every great man there is a great woman'. Much of the Art Nouveau movement was, very feminine in feel anyway. It is no surprise to me that the male artists, architects and designer made famous by the style at the time would have had strong female support and influence behind them.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM

On wonderful if you can manage to put them on later Cruithne.. look forward to seeing them...even Charles admitted it was his wife with the real talent...he was engaged to his boss s daughter before he took up with Margaret.. the lady never married , and a wee bit of info I didnt know..

Charles Rennie Mackintosh died in London on Dec 10th
– he’d developed cancer of the
tongue in 1927 (possibly because of his heavy smoking) and his tongue was removed. He
came out of hospital wearing a radium collar.
He lived in London in rooms and sat under a willow tree in the garden. Margaret
Macdonald Mackintosh lived on for another 4 years. She never talked about her husband
but used to return to the French area every year where she used to sit with “Toshy”.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,663 times
Wonderful articles, i too love the Nouveau style, Rennie"s work was beautiful, i have never had the opportunity to see the work of Rennie or the women exhibited.Would love to see more articles and pic's on the Arts and Craft movement.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 AM

Ive visted the Hill House in Helensburgh and his house in Glasgow, and saw some of the Wilow Tea rooms in our Art Galleries.... House of an Art Lover | Charles Rennie Mackintosh website

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/The-Hill-House/

Old 08-17-2013, 02:37 AM

Another Glasgow artist who did Nouveau too. Life of Hannah Frank, Jewish artist and sculptor from Glasgow

Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
I love their art and Rennie Macintosh. Been to Kelvingrove many times, House for an Art Lover, and also the house. We've got a nice book on the Glasgow Girls.

When I first came to Scotland to get married my new MIL gave me some Rennie Macintosh jewellry and everyone was surprised that I'd never hear of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom