Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM

185 posts, read 457,718 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in the U.S. and have the opportunity coming up to start telecommuting (working from home). This gives me the chance to really work from anywhere that has reliable internet.

I have been thinking a lot lately about spending a full month in London. It will allow me to explore and absorb at my own pace and then I can work during the day from wherever I'm staying.

A few questions for Londoners...

1) Where would you suggest I stay? (part of town) I have been trying to find apartments to rent for a month on various rental sites (AirBNB, Vacation Rentals, etc...) and really want to stay under 1500GPB/$2300USD.
I'd like it to be fairly central if possible but since I am staying a month I guess as long as its near the Tube or acceptable public transportation.

2) Any problems seen with working from the UK? I guess no one would really know. I'm just doing work for a US company from home during the day. Just want to make sure no legal issues here - not that I think it would even be something anyone would know.

3) Any suggestions or tips? I am really in the early planning stages. I guess the biggest part first is time of year. I was thinking April 2014. Thoughts?

Please share any feedback or thoughts. I really just want to take in the culture, do all the touristy crap, and just have a new experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
2. It's illegal to do any kind of work on a tourist visa. Of course, you may get away with it but it's risky - if the immigration officer at the airport figures out that you are not a regular tourist you will be on the next plane back home. I am assuming you are a US citizen.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:14 AM

OK - Thanks Bronto I'll keep it in mind.

Anyone else have comments? I guess this board is quiet?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post

It's called night time over here.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM

670 posts, read 905,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post

Maybe because people yawn when they see another post like yours. You have to understand they are a dime a dozen and most never materialize.

Signed

Eternal CD Cynic

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Working isn't an issue. You're a tourist visiting for a month. You're not establishing a base there; like many people who "work" on vacation. It's like checking your work emails!!

You could check Craigslist or something for one months accommodation or speak to some of the B&Bs about long term discounts. Stay as central as you can..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Ian - That's what I figured.

Sorry to bore people with my post

But for those not bored... I think the dates may be April 7th through May 1st. Those are my constraints as I have an MBA program I am taking and that's the largest gap I have in the 16 month program. So a bit less than a full month.

Can anyone recommend a way to start getting familiar with the lay of the land? Maybe a book or a website you'd recommend? I have no opposition to not being right in central London as not being there would save me significant money. As a New York'er I'm used to taking the train or subway everywhere. I just don't have an idea of the layout and what areas are considered safe, sketchy or .

Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 AM

oh BTW any Moderators here?! Can you move this post to the "LONDON" sub-forum? I didn't know that existed when I posted here in the UK forum.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM

211 posts, read 519,556 times
I'm assuming that you are wanting to rent out a place? Check out Golders Green - it is in very close proximity to everything you could want, it is very safe and it is so close to the Tube. I would just like to inform you though that it is a primarily Jewish neighborhood, if that's alright with you. Golders Green is like the Forest Hills (Queens) of London.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
2) what people on C-D think about this is irrelevant. What matters is what the UK Border Agency thinks - it's illegal. See http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=79215.0 quickly before the mods delete it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom