Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I cry, but never around other people. I don't want to appear like I'm trying to get sympathy or attention from other people.
Exactly how I feel and I am an American woman born and raised during the 1950's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And how many British people do you actually know well enough to be privy to how they deal with their emotional issues? You say yourself it doesn't have to be done in public so unless you lived here in the UK for a long time and developed close relationships with a lot of British people, getting to know them well enough to know how they deal with private matters, I recommend you shut up before you make a bigger fool of yourself than you already have.
Yeah, I do that alot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 02:11 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
The thing is that we seem to get an idea in our heads about certain countries and their people... I have always seen Americans as braggy, confident. a bit naive and brash, but then I met some people on holiday, and online and was surprised at how alike we are..

Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Bottling it up is incredibly overrated and incredibly harmful.

that's the received wisdom these days alright

Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
We don't suppress our emotions, we just release them at appropriate times and to appropriate audiences.

Look it's simple, there's a very good reason the British Pub has been at the heart of British Culture since there was a Britain to have a culture. You get stressed, overwhelmed by your problems you go to the pub, get drunk tell all your mates about your problems (or if your name happens to be Billy the bar staff), get laughed at for being a ponce, wake up in a bed the next day that's 20 miles from home, with a dwarf in a gimp suit, a traffic cone and a 6 month old piglet covered in grease, and an entirely fresh set of problems to wash the old ones away (and a huge helping of humble pie from not knowing how you got there, or what you did from the last memory you had the night before).

It's worked that way for generations.

Hyperbola aside (on the dwarf and piglet) it's not actually that much of an inaccurate representation.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The thing is that we seem to get an idea in our heads about certain countries and their people... I have always seen Americans as braggy, confident. a bit naive and brash, but then I met some people on holiday, and online and was surprised at how alike we are..
The difference between what you see in movies and on tv compared to how we really are. Certain parts of the US do have reputations for being more brash or braggy and there are areas where education is low priority but the stereotypes don't apply to the country as a whole. (As you learned when you met the nice people on holiday.)

Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The difference between what you see in movies and on tv compared to how we really are. Certain parts of the US do have reputations for being more brash or braggy and there are areas where education is low priority but the stereotypes don't apply to the country as a whole. (As you learned when you met the nice people on holiday.)

I find American ubber optimism and confidence very endearing as you do it well , the british ( and irish ) are too cynical for that kind of bright outlook

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
I agree. The irish especially are very bland and boring, not very innovating.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:04 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I find American ubber optimism and confidence very endearing as you do it well , the british ( and irish ) are too cynical for that kind of bright outlook
My own thoughts on that: we are a land of newish settlers and pioneers who were up against all kinds of odds. If you didn't have a good outlook, you were doomed. Most of the US also has a difficult climate, not a relatively mild climate like the UK (sorry, but you can still moan about it) and people have to fight the weather. We fight serious drought, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, tropical weather, arctic weather. Most places have a few months of decent weather while the rest of the year is horrible. Like Florida--sure, the winter is nice in winter, but for the summer (6 months) people are trapped indoors in a/c due to extremely high heat, humidity, and dangerous electrical storms.

Where I live we had three very serious storms last winter with several feet of snow at once and severe coastal erosion but there is no time to fret about it. It's up and at 'em and rebuild and get ready for the next one. The summers aren't very nice either because of the heat and humidity but we try to make the best of it.

The early English settlers called my climate "harsh." An understatement.

I think it's a survivalist spirit coupled with the idea of being a land of opportunity until recently.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Thank you for all the interesting responses and taking the time out to give an in-depth detail and reasoning behind your culture! Much appreciated. I absolutely got my answer and understand the Brit a little bit better. For all the nasty responses, I have nothing to say to you other than to get a life. This question wasn't that serious and I certainly didn't mean or aim to disrespect the English people.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,182 times
"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom