Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,555,348 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We'll be visiting relatives in England soon and want to put together a few goodie bags for hubby's mum, sis, nieces and nephews.

I read a few threads on Tripadvisor concerning ideas, but the threads were kind of old, but what I read, some of these items are not easy to find in England?

Maple Syrup
Grape Jelly
Pistachios
BBQ sauce
Peppered Beef jerky
lemon Drops
Peanut Butter M&Ms
Baby Ruth bars
Butterfingers
Salt Water Taffy

Also, being from California I was thinking of bringing some packages of Taco Mix, and hot sauces. Maybe some seashells and starfish.

Even in 5 years the world has gotten even smaller... everyting can be had online, but I still go to the local British grocer to get my hubby his Marmite, HP and Yorkies!

Any feedback or suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 AM

16,686 posts, read 17,460,264 times
Can you get Montreal Salt?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,555,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Can you get Montreal Salt?
I think there's a mc cormick steak seasoning.

Also, I grew up on Lawreys seasoning salt.
Anyone hear of that? Its real good! Great for meats, chicken fish and veggies. :-)

Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 AM

16,686 posts, read 17,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I think there's a mc cormick steak seasoning.

Also, I grew up on Lawreys seasoning salt.
Anyone hear of that? Its real good! Great for meats, chicken fish and veggies. :-)
Yes- the one we have is a McCormick brand.

There's steak and also a chicken version.

I don't think I've found it in the UK but loved it when we lived in Texas.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM

10,537 posts, read 6,180,458 times
Quote:
Hello,
We'll be visiting relatives in England soon and want to put together a few goodie bags for hubby's mum, sis, nieces and nephews.

I read a few threads on Tripadvisor concerning ideas, but the threads were kind of old, but what I read, some of these items are not easy to find in England?

Maple Syrup
Grape Jelly
Pistachios
BBQ sauce
Peppered Beef jerky
lemon Drops
Peanut Butter M&Ms
Baby Ruth bars
Butterfingers
Salt Water Taffy

Also, being from California I was thinking of bringing some packages of Taco Mix, and hot sauces. Maybe some seashells and starfish.

Even in 5 years the world has gotten even smaller... everyting can be had online, but I still go to the local British grocer to get my hubby his Marmite, HP and Yorkies!

Thanks!
As you guessed, you can get most things in England. When my nieces visited last year they took home Tootsie Rolls, Fruit Loops cereal (eaten by one of the Big Bang Theory characters) and Smores ingredients (Graham Crackers, American Marshmallows) none of which are readily available in England (don't ask - they weren't my choices, I think they were all heavily influenced by things they had seen on TV).

Out of the things you listed I'd only bother with these:
Peppered Beef jerky
Peanut Butter M&Ms
Baby Ruth bars
Butterfingers
Salt Water Taffy

You can certainly easily get Taco mix, hot sauce, maple syrup, pistachios and grape jelly in the UK.

The other thing I always take home that goes down well is Ghiradelli chocolate (don't take Hersheys, you won't be thanked for it!).

As I live near SF - last time I went home I also took home some cable car Christmas decorations and fridge magnets which people seemed to love . I also took my nieces and nephew some 'Cal' University sweaters. They loved them. They like that kind of 'all American' thing.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-10-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Hello,

Maple Syrup
Grape Jelly
Pistachios
BBQ sauce
Peppered Beef jerky
lemon Drops
Peanut Butter M&Ms
Baby Ruth bars
Butterfingers
Salt Water Taffy

Thanks!
Packs of smoked salmon?

It seems strange to me to take food as gifts to people in Western Europe, as if it were Soviet Russia after WWII. When I saw "gifts" in the thread title, I was expecting something else entirely. Is this really what is done, and acceptable? I usually give photo album books of local culture and nature, like a nature photography book of CA, and a photography book on Native American life.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,031,451 times
My sister in London always asks for Nestles bittersweet chocolate chips which I thought was bizarre but she says the chips she can get at home just aren't the same. I get her the big bag from Costco. The peanuty candies are good - butterfingers, Reeses etc. as Brits tend to go more for chocolate mint or orange so the peanut based ones are more of a novelty. You could bring some See's candies from California which don't make it over there.
Some hard core BBQ sauce might be good. As would something unique to an area, such as Boiled Peanuts like they have in the South although you probably don't have them in Cali.
Disney is big in the UK - maybe something unique to the parks that can't be bought locally, or Tchotchkes from Universal Studios- touristy stuff can be fun to get for young kids.
Taco stuff was a big deal 30 years ago but not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom