Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

My daughter who just spent the summer in the UK says immigration over there is basically on hold, My daughter who is a British citizen by decent and myself who was born there wouldnt have a problem in a relocation from Canada but i'm wondering what difficulties my Canadian born wife might run into if she were to apply for UK citizenship.
The idea came up when my daughter says she's moving to England fulltime next year and as i'm retired and the wife is about to retire the concept of moving from Canada to somewhere in the UK came up..
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,500 times
What your wife needs to apply for is a spouse visa or possibly an ancestry visa if she has a UK grandparent. She cannot apply for citizenship until she has been living legally in the UK for 5 years. Immigration is not on hold - it is proceeding as usual except for a few special cases.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Thanks Brontosaurus
Citizenship was the wrong term, fulltime residency is what she would need or landed immigrant status.. She has no past family from the UK as she is 7th generation Quebecker.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
As a spouse she only has to wait 3 years after living here to apply for citizenship.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
As a spouse she only has to wait 3 years after living here to apply for citizenship.
This has changed. A spouse visa is for 2.5 years, renewable for another 2.5 years, then settlement may be granted.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM

37 posts, read 106,363 times
No, there are other similarly pressing reasons why those wanting to move in the following few years may need to act sooner instead of later.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thanks Brontosaurus
Citizenship was the wrong term, fulltime residency is what she would need or landed immigrant status.. She has no past family from the UK as she is 7th generation Quebecker.
She can not apply for permanent residency (or "indefinite leave to remain") until she has been living there under the temporary spousal visa (currently being called "partner of a settled person" visa I believe) for a certain amount of years, if that is what you mean by "fulltime residency". So step one for you guys would be to apply for a spousal visa for her.

This is the details of Indefinite Leave to Remain:

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/...rk-visa/tier-1

Quote:
Eligibility
You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012
5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012
As you can see, she needs to have been living in the UK for at least 5 years before she can get indefinite leave to remain. So what you need now is what they mention as the "partner of a settled person" visa, or in layman's terms a "spousal visa":

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
Ewwwww....the UK requires spouses to wait that long?

It is not Denmark, but still.....

Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My daughter who just spent the summer in the UK says immigration over there is basically on hold, My daughter who is a British citizen by decent and myself who was born there wouldnt have a problem in a relocation from Canada but i'm wondering what difficulties my Canadian born wife might run into if she were to apply for UK citizenship.
The idea came up when my daughter says she's moving to England fulltime next year and as i'm retired and the wife is about to retire the concept of moving from Canada to somewhere in the UK came up..
Thanks for any info.
Why on undergod would anyone retire to England to be honest?

And immigration is on overboard not hold..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Why on undergod would anyone retire to England to be honest?

And immigration is on overboard not hold..
Lots of your fellow countrymen retire in England, can't be that bad if that's the case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom