Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will you vote for?
David Cameron (The not Conservatives) 2 8.70%
Ed Milliband (Nanny sta... I mean labour) 5 21.74%
Nick Gleg (Let everyone in) 1 4.35%
Nigal Farage (The real conservatives) 11 47.83%
Green Party (Destroy the countryside with renewable energy!) 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
That is the anthem for England.
No it is the anthem for all of the United Kingdom for The Queen is the Queen of Scotland and Northern Ireland as well as England & Wales) (Why do you think the Royal standard that flys over any place the Queen is in residence looks the way it does) and 19 other members of the British Commonwealth and a number of small bits that are Crown Colonies. A lot of people consider a song called Jerusalem as the unofficial anthem for just England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
So you believe in the free market, apart from the NHS?? That makes literally no sense. The NHS is a completely socializef system. On one hand you say that the government shouldn't decide anything (not even the provision of educational facilities) but fully support the government on issues that suit you.

You don't hold American opinions, just those on the extreme right here. You sound like a tea party nut.

The problem with government these days is that it is all politics and ideology rather than economics and reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
All assuming that the UK deficit was paid off (probably impossible) then:

In terms of federal tax, the rich will pay more into the system while the poorer will be much less. Now I think of it, state governments should make there own taxes to, however the federal gov would make sure that the state isn't to over the top on tax. Also we'll build up a charity, so people can choose to pay into the system that way.

The queen is vital for keeping the commonwealth alive. Why do we have to have the house of lords and a queen?

We'll invest and influence people into going green. But that's not to say that people can't sell petrol cars.

By becoming part of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

There should be at least one channel that is balanced in my opinion. all the other channels will have that freedom of speech...

So you pretty much explained nothing. Firstly, the deficit can be reduced to zero but it will take some competent economic management, and that doesn't mean the national debt goes away. I will assume you know the difference.

How will the rich pay more taxes if you don't raise taxes? The rich are already paying the vast majority of taxes, and while I support progressive taxation, you claim to want to lower taxes but yet have people pay more. Again, this makes no sense. How would the country pay for all this investment (investment that I would support by the way) if you lower taxes and increase military spending? Where would the money come from?

The house of lords are unelected. So is the queen. Why would you do away with the house of lords but not the queen? That is illogical. The work that the upper house has done over the past few years is of far greater importance to the country than the commonwealth.

I would agree with central investment in renewable energy, and hydro/hybrid technology, but YOU cannot claim to be a free market capitalist and yet support the very opposite. If you were really a free market capitalist (a claim you make to justify your other proposals i.e not funding libraries (?)) you would not support government investment of anything of the sort. You would allow private companies to manufacture according to demand. You would also support the complete privatization of healthcare in Britain. The fact that you actually support the NHS doesn't mean that you're wrong, but it DOES mean that you are not what you claim to be.

Trade deals would become more complex, and with more barriers if Britain were to leave the EU. That is the entire point of being IN the union.

Your points don't make any sense if you listen to how you describe yourself. You're not a free market "libertarian", you're just someone with a bunch of random opinions.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
No it is the anthem for all of the United Kingdom for The Queen is the Queen of Scotland and Northern Ireland as well as England & Wales) (Why do you think the Royal standard that flys over any place the Queen is in residence looks the way it does) and 19 other members of the British Commonwealth and a number of small bits that are Crown Colonies. A lot of people consider a song called Jerusalem as the unofficial anthem for just England.

Retraction. I stand corrected

Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Who the hell is voting for Nigel Farage?
Racists. Just small minded bigots who hate foreigners and gays and black people and God knows who else and who blame them for their failures in life

Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
What a sorry excuse for a Briton.

I will give you the 1st of the 5 verses.

God save our gracious Queen!

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Queen!

In the future for Kings Charles III, William V and George VII (King) will be substituted for Queen and (him) for her.
Oh go away why should I sing about someone I don't give a **** about?!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Slightly biased and flawed polling question.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
How will the rich pay more taxes if you don't raise taxes? The rich are already paying the vast majority of taxes, and while I support progressive taxation, you claim to want to lower taxes but yet have people pay more. Again, this makes no sense. How would the country pay for all this investment (investment that I would support by the way) if you lower taxes and increase military spending? Where would the money come from?
I'll try and answer this better later as I don't have much time now.

Quote:
house of lords are unelected. So is the queen. Why would you do away with the house of lords but not the queen? That is illogical. The work that the upper house has done over the past few years is of far greater importance to the country than the commonwealth.
The Queen is just a figurehead and won't make any laws what so ever. The Royal Family are good for tourism and keeping the commonwealth intact. We don't need the House of Lords for the Queen to be a figure. Though if the royal family doesn't want to be the royal family anymore then we'll have to have no royal family.

Quote:
would agree with central investment in renewable energy, and hydro/hybrid technology, but YOU cannot claim to be a free market capitalist and yet support the very opposite. If you were really a free market capitalist (a claim you make to justify your other proposals i.e not funding libraries (?)) you would not support government investment of anything of the sort. You would allow private companies to manufacture according to demand. You would also support the complete privatization of healthcare in Britain. The fact that you actually support the NHS doesn't mean that you're wrong, but it DOES mean that you are not what you claim to be.
I believe in the free market on most things. Just the NHS is needed, though I also suport the opportunity for private hospitals if one wants to pay for their care.

Quote:
deals would become more complex, and with more barriers if Britain were to leave the EU. That is the entire point of being IN the union.
The EU impose to many rules and regulations! We should make our own trading rules, and focus our trading on the rest of the world.

Quote:
points don't make any sense if you listen to how you describe yourself. You're not a free market "libertarian", you're just someone with a bunch of random opinions.
Fair enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightFascism View Post
Racists. Just small minded bigots who hate foreigners and gays and black people and God knows who else and who blame them for their failures in life
UKIP as a party and Nigel Farage are not racist! they just wan't to leave the EU and have an Australian style immigration policy. But this doesn't mean they hate foreigners at all, in-fact Nigel Farage is married to a German. Show me evidence that they are racist... The BnP are racist though!
However, I didn't like UKIPs idea that Gay marriage shouldn't be legalised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Oh go away why should I sing about someone I don't give a **** about?!
I think we should change our national anthem to Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Britannia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Slightly biased and flawed polling question.
I know, that's how I feel about those parties though...

Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
In a General Election, there is a tendency for smaller parties to do less well as voters do not usually register a 'protest' vote but usually revert to one of the major parties. Thus, for example, UKIP may do fairly well in safe conservative seats though not enough to affect the result but, in more marginal seats, Conservative voters will stay loyal to avoid that seat falling to Labour.

The big question in terms of the national result is whether the Lib-Dem vote will collapse following their coalition with the Conservatives and who will benefit from that collapse. My guess is that it is more likely to be Labour than the Conservatives but we will see.

In Scotland, the SNP polled just 19.9% at the last General election. To do better and to win a lot of seats, they will have to take votes away from Labour. But that would increase the chances of a Conservative win at the national level so many traditional Labour voters may stay loyal for that reason. They will probably take some seats but it may not be the breakthrough they need. The other intriguing aspect in Scotland is whether the Conservative vote will recover to any extent. During Thatcher's time, the Conservative vote in Scotland stayed fairly stable at 25%. At the last election, they polled only 16%. That suggests that there were a lot of traditionally Conservatives who voted tactically against Labour. If they return to the fold, that could hurt the Lib Dems and the SNP.

Overall, my guess is that the Conservatives may well win the GE. A recovering economy and a lackluster Labour party could be enough to make the difference.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In a General Election, there is a tendency for smaller parties to do less well as voters do not usually register a 'protest' vote but usually revert to one of the major parties. Thus, for example, UKIP may do fairly well in safe conservative seats though not enough to affect the result but, in more marginal seats, Conservative voters will stay loyal to avoid that seat falling to Labour.

The big question in terms of the national result is whether the Lib-Dem vote will collapse following their coalition with the Conservatives and who will benefit from that collapse. My guess is that it is more likely to be Labour than the Conservatives but we will see.

In Scotland, the SNP polled just 19.9% at the last General election. To do better and to win a lot of seats, they will have to take votes away from Labour. But that would increase the chances of a Conservative win at the national level so many traditional Labour voters may stay loyal for that reason. They will probably take some seats but it may not be the breakthrough they need. The other intriguing aspect in Scotland is whether the Conservative vote will recover to any extent. During Thatcher's time, the Conservative vote in Scotland stayed fairly stable at 25%. At the last election, they polled only 16%. That suggests that there were a lot of traditionally Conservatives who voted tactically against Labour. If they return to the fold, that could hurt the Lib Dems and the SNP.

Overall, my guess is that the Conservatives may well win the GE. A recovering economy and a lackluster Labour party could be enough to make the difference.
I have the feeling that UKIP will win 1 seat, but will see. At the moment the believe is that Labour will win by a majority of 42 seats (god help us!) Electoral Calculus. It seems extremely unfair that UKIP is currently predicted 15% of the national vote, but has no seats, whereas the Lib Dems only have 8% and 18 MPs... Why is this?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I have the feeling that UKIP will win 1 seat, but will see. At the moment the believe is that Labour will win by a majority of 42 seats (god help us!) Electoral Calculus. It seems extremely unfair that UKIP is currently predicted 15% of the national vote, but has no seats, whereas the Lib Dems only have 8% and 18 MPs... Why is this?
First past the post system. There was a referendum on moving to the alternative vote system in 2011 which was rejected by a margin of 67.9% to 32.1% albeit on a turnout of just 42.2%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom