Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

irish soccer player james mc clean has gotten a lot of stick over refusing to wear one , i sympathise with mc clean , the poppy means different things to different nationalities , i also sort of dislike the overwhelming pressure to wear one on tv , uniformity of opinion bugs me

i respect anyone who serves their country but everyone doesnt have to stand to attention on this issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 12:14 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
irish soccer player james mc clean has gotten a lot of stick over refusing to wear one , i sympathise with mc clean , the poppy means different things to different nationalities , i also sort of dislike the overwhelming pressure to wear one on tv , uniformity of opinion bugs me

i respect anyone who serves their country but everyone doesnt have to stand to attention on this issue
I agree with you. It seems that we have become progressively more intolerant on this subject over the years. Growing up we would buy and wear poppies but there was never this level of public pressure to be seen to conform. We should remember that those British and Irish servicemen and women (as well as allied and commonwealth) who gave their lives did so in order that we could enjoy the freedom to make our own decisions including whether to wear a poppy or not.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Surely though the very least we can do is to buy and wear one... sad very sad to think of these men killed or seriously hurt and we cant put our hand in our pocket to contribute to their charity and wear a flower for a few days..We have a full football team here in Glasgow who dont wear them... when some of their own were killed in both wars ...shameful.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Surely though the very least we can do is to buy and wear one... sad very sad to think of these men killed or seriously hurt and we cant put our hand in our pocket to contribute to their charity and wear a flower for a few days..We have a full football team here in Glasgow who dont wear them... when some of their own were killed in both wars ...shameful.
british army committed a lot of attrocities in a lot of countries , no surprise that people from specific backrounds feel differently about the poppy

Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Governments stink at times.. but what a shame for all these brave Irishmen to be forgotten.

In addition, 206,000 Irishmen signed up to the British army and at least 31,000 were killed.
A definitive figure has never been established as to exactly how many Irish soldiers died fighting in the first World War.
Now war dead have been honoured.
Full scale of Irish WWII death toll revealed - The Scotsman

Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 AM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
This is a well written article with relevance to the conversation so far:

Why I wear a poppy on Nov. 11: The story of Rifleman Albert Todd - France 24

This part is particularly pertinent I feel.
Quote:
It isn’t a jingoistic celebration of Britain’s wartime exploits, nor is it a symbol of national or even family pride.
It's more a reminder that the human cost of war extends well beyond the battlefields – a lasting and painful legacy for the families and loved-ones of those who are killed or suffer the often devastating psychological consequences.
Wounds heal and pain recedes over generations, but the brutal, destructive and lingering consequences of war should never be forgotten.
I, for one, will be wearing my cornflower tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Governments stink at times.. but what a shame for all these brave Irishmen to be forgotten.

In addition, 206,000 Irishmen signed up to the British army and at least 31,000 were killed.
A definitive figure has never been established as to exactly how many Irish soldiers died fighting in the first World War.
we had a rememberance sunday ceremony in dublin yesterday , the sinn fein lord mayor of dublin attended so its no longer the case that irish citizens who served in the british army during WW1 ( and to a lesser extend WW2 ) are forgotten

i dont think those people were in anyway wrong to have fought in those wars , im specifically talking about the huge pressure to wear this symbol , its troubling that all british should be expected to wear it , let alone people who are not british or like james mc lean who comes from a city where the british army committed war crimes

Old 11-10-2014, 12:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:

WW1 or WW2? You might want to learn the difference. And how many Irishmen (and women) were murdered by the British armed forces?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:
Frankly, people like you who want to judge others' entire ethics on whether they adopt a certain piece of symbolism or not are no better than the Taliban.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Poppies are worn in Canada, and as far as I know there is no controversy.

Perhaps it's because even though we wear them to remember our war dead, we don't equate respecting the loss of a life with the government who rightly or wrongly sent them off to war.

Many people I know wear them to respect all those loss in all wars.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom