Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 AM

617 posts, read 538,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanks78 View Post
I am interested in making comparisons between UK and US cities. The only comparisons I have so far are:

London - New York
Birmingham - Chicago
Manchester - LA
Leeds - Boston
Norwich - ?
Southampton - ?
Bournemouth - ?
ETC

Please add some more and explain your reasoning!
There's nothing common in between American and European cities, even region called "New England" in the US does not remotely resemble anything British, doesn't matter how hard they tried.
Britain has DRASTICALLY different culture, mentality, architecture, food habits and even language - so called American English is such horrible perversion of real British English that it really deserves to be banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
This isn't a comparison of cities, but of regions. To me, Yorkshire feels like the American South in many ways.

That's a compliment, by the way, just to clarify.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
There's nothing common in between American and European cities, even region called "New England" in the US does not remotely resemble anything British, doesn't matter how hard they tried.
Britain has DRASTICALLY different culture, mentality, architecture, food habits and even language - so called American English is such horrible perversion of real British English that it really deserves to be banned.
Newsflash - American cities are not "trying" to resemble British cities. Nor are we trying to keep the British version of the English language sacred and infallible.

We're doing our own thing.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
lol. American English is way more popular than British English outside of UK.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

617 posts, read 538,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Newsflash - American cities are not "trying" to resemble British cities.
We're doing our own thing.
Yeah, right, that's why they called it "New England", trying not to resemble anything European.

The "thing" you guys been doing to yourselves and the rest of the world is freaking horrid, please stop embarrassing yourselves.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
The boarded up homes in streets like Ducie street in Liverpool resemble the urban decay in American cities like Detroit, Baltimore, or Camden. Although the UK can never match the scale of urban decay in American cities. This is clearly yet another thing where the US is number one at.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right, that's why they called it "New England", trying not to resemble anything European.

The "thing" you guys been doing to yourselves and the rest of the world is freaking horrid, please stop embarrassing yourselves.
Errr, the name "New England" is about as indicative of "trying to be like England" as Paris, Texas is of a small town in east Texas trying to be like Paris, France.

"New England" is a very old term - like "New York," and "New Jersey." Surely you don't think that New Jersey is trying to model itself after Jersey in England?

Please get over yourself. I mean, I personally like England but I'm quite happy to be living in the US enjoying my American culture.

I'm not embarrassed of anything other people do, by the way. But I do think perhaps you should be a bit embarrassed by spotted dick and toad in the hole.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
You have quite the inferiority complex. You are right, New England is nothing like England. Just like New York is nothing like York. Also there is no such thing as "British English". Way to many accents in the UK to throw them into one giant box like that.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The boarded up homes in streets like Ducie street in Liverpool resemble the urban decay in American cities like Detroit, Baltimore, or Camden. Although the UK can never match the scale of urban decay in American cities. This is clearly yet another thing where the US is number one at.
There he goes again... Says he never was in the US... Then in most threads he visits. Demeans and is negative about most things in the US. Basically most predominately nations seen as Anglo......

Just is his fetish I guess. But he did use #1 with the US.... ....Guess that counts for something.....

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
drro is a famous troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom