Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times

Advertisements

In current events the Royal Family carried on the tradition of christening their new baby Charlotte. The family's promenade into the church was sweet & heart-warming...yet in contrast with more modern, casual practices of everyday people, their pomp and circumstance seemed so old-fashioned in my opinion.

Kate & William are a lot more PR-friendly and down-to-earth than any of their predecessors have seemed to be...

So it occurred to me...When will free, logical thought begin to trump tradition? Within how many decades do you suppose the Royal Family will cease the practice of baby christenings?

How long until everyone including the Royal Family realizes that christening is a superstitious, unnecessary practice?

Royal baby christening: Fans to see Princess Charlotte - CNN.com

Do People Actually Care About the Royal Christening Round 2? We Investigate | E! Online

My perspective: I was born curious & questioning & searching & experimenting with religions all through childhood, teens, 20's & 30's. Toward the middle of my 30's I'd figured it all out to my satisfaction. I concluded that although all religions have many morsels of truth and principles worthy of consideration, Christianity is largely unnecessary superstition & tradition as well as Judaisim. Buddhist & Hindu & Sikh philosophies tend to be more humane, psychologically sound, and adaptable. Organized religion is good for gathering like-minded people together for a sense of community and support if people want to, but everyone must think logically regarding what they've signed up for, and work to maintain a sane, logical system. After trying on many religions, I've decided on agnostic secular humanism. No formalities needed.

So why do intelligent people follow archaic traditions? Do they not think logically & critically? These are highly-degreed university graduates. How can they blindly follow nonsense religions without suffering some measure of cognitive dissonance?

I could have posted this in Current Events or Religion & Spirituality but the nature of my question is probably better suited for Debate because I'm aware that it's improper and politically incorrect to question other people's religious practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
The problem here is that you assume that everyone who is intelligent and thinks logically and critically will come to the same conclusions you have.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The problem here is that you assume that everyone who is intelligent and thinks logically and critically will come to the same conclusions you have.
Maybe I didn't word it well, this is a tricky topic to tackle. I don't expect everyone to come to the same conclusions I have. I only hope that people would think clearly and critically.

Last edited by Zelpha; 07-06-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
As long as the head of the family is the head of the church keeping church traditions remains one of their few responsibilities

Old 07-06-2015, 03:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Many people do think clearly and critically. These people arrive at vastly different conclusions than you do.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM

227 posts, read 195,338 times
Considering the Monarch of England is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, I doubt this practice will go away any time soon.

Also, for such a clear, critical thinking individual, you seem pretty close minded.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Many people do think clearly and critically. These people arrive at vastly different conclusions than you do.
Can a clear, critical thinker still conclude that over 2,000 years ago a baby was born to a virgin and he is the messiah to save all mankind as long as we get sprinkled with water and are blessed by a priest? Have we not moved beyond believing in mythology?

Old 07-06-2015, 04:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Many intelligent people arrive at vastly different conclusions than you do.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
Considering the Monarch of England is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, I doubt this practice will go away any time soon.
As I watched Kate & William pleasantly, happily walking their children to the church, I thought: How can they believe in this stuff? Have they ever taken time to give it any thought, or are they just following tradition without thinking much about it? What if they decide not to christen a child? Would the Monarch of England as Supreme Governor of the Church of England allow a royal family member not to be christened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
Also, for such a clear, critical thinking individual, you seem pretty close minded.
I'll never claim to be a flawless thinker. As anyone else, I do the best I can to figure out this world we live in. If I came across as close-minded, I probably didn't word things very well. Not an easy topic!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
As I watched Kate & William pleasantly, happily walking their children to the church, I thought: How can they believe in this stuff? Have they ever taken time to give it any thought?
Maybe you really are open-minded, but from what you've written, the only logical conclusion is that you are sure that anyone who believes in any religion has not given it any thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom