Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

In my state of Pennsylvania, only the rear plate is required. I don't have anything on my front car. I do see a UK front number plate every now and then somewhere around my house. regarding Canada, I don't know which provinces require a front plate, but I know Quebec doesn't. I-81 goes through my area and I see a lot of Quebec plated cars during the migratory snowbird season and they don't have a front plate. Contrast with Ontario where they require it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:49 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Why would there be British numberplate in America?

Old 07-27-2015, 03:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
In Texas they have a front number plate, I am sure some other states do too.

I thought it was weird.
It is the law in Texas to have front and back.
A poorly enforced one, fortunately.
Not uglifying my sports car with a useless plate.
Have both on my truck.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Why would there be British numberplate in America?
Decoration. In those states where a front plate is not required, they're allowed to put pretty much anything in the plate bracket.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This comment is meant to say what exactly
It was an observation on your apparent surprise. Such parking control practices are widespread in most large urban areas in the developed world.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Decoration. In those states where a front plate is not required, they're allowed to put pretty much anything in the plate bracket.
Never noticed.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
In Arizona, we only need the rear plate, but they issue two plates anyway. Maybe in case you lose one? I don't know. Also, most states sell plates that promote organizations like wildlife rescue or conservation, the Humane Society, the state's universities, veterans, POW's, and lots of other causes. Arizona has "Live The Golden Rule", "In God We Trust", Prevent Child Abuse, Spay or Neuter Pets, and many other causes. If you google a particular state's license plates, you'll get pictures of every plate that's officially sanctioned by the state.

These are all the plates issued for AZ. You can click on each one for a picture of the plate. I have the Arizona Sportsman for Wildlife Conservation, and I personalized it.

Plate Selections

In the states where the front plate isn't required many people will put a plate on the front that has a cute saying, or promotes their favorite sports team (Go Broncos!). You can buy those plates from MLB shops or NFL shops, cafepress, and lots of other outlets.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Seems so strange to us in the UK as our rules for both plates are very strict with colours, spacing and size of the letters..

Old 07-30-2015, 03:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I love how colourful American number plates are, often representing state birds or features.
I like the different choices too but i just with there were more simple looking ones, most of the options are just so gaudy and ridiculous looking.

i just want a black license plate...

Delaware has the perfect option but i think its hard to get. plus its cool how its small.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1318735460

California recently brought back its retro black plates even available to late model cars.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...egacyPlate.JPG

Illinois also has them but they are White Sox plates and i hate sports.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...dbngotkie5.jpg

Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
For me, the problem isn't the lack of a front plate (to me it looks better and more aerodynamic), it's the excessive decoration or designs on the plate making them difficult to read and the plate frames that block the state name and registration tag on the plate. I have a military veteran plate. It's pretty plain with only three numbers, state name, branch of service, and military conflict in which I served (Louisiana, US Navy, Desert Storm). Some plates are so fancy that it's difficult to read the numbers on the plates. Another problem is age. At one time the plates were replaced regularly. Now they send you your vehicle registration that includes a sticker to put on your plate. Some plates are so worn with weather and washing that the numbers are nearly impossible to read. Some states don't require vehicle inspections. Some states require annual inspections, but the nature of the inspection depends on the state or city. Our local inspections involve the basics. Here's an example of our local inspection. I drive up, guy checks my vehicle registration and proof of insurance, inspects windshield for large cracks impairing my visibility, he tells me to turn on my headlights, turn on high beams, left turn signal, right turn signal, hazard flashers, wipers, reverse light, brake lights. If these all work then the vehicle passes inspection, cost $10. If any of these fail, you're given time to get them fixed and come back. While it would be nice if every vehicle passed the type of test you have in the UK, If we had such testing here then many poor people would have no transportation. While living in a city would give one access to public transportation (buses and trains), those living in more suburban or rural areas don't have such access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom