Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:16 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

What's going on there?

After decades of cuts to public services, schools were now the “frontline of the battle against child poverty”, and at risk of being “overwhelmed”.

‘Desperate neglect’: teachers washing clothes and finding beds as poverty grips England’s schools. Schools risk being overwhelmed by hungry, exhausted children from freezing homes, children living in homes without enough beds or unable to sleep because they were cold.

More than 4 million children now living in poverty in the UK...

Are all of them migrant kids?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...glands-schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 05:52 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’m surprised to hear this. I thought England had good welfare programs.

The only time I was there, I commented on the beautiful old brick row houses in London. Our cab driver said they were used to house the homeless.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:09 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
there is poverty but the term "poverty" is overused, we have a welfare state and many children get free school meals, its nothing like the Victorian era.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:17 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
[quote=bigpaul;66541133]there is poverty but the term "poverty" is overused, we have a welfare state and many children get free school meals, its nothing like the Victorian era.[/QUOTE It certainly is not and there is a lot of help out there ... this is a nonsense and maybe parents could do with money management courses.. as down here where I live in Glasgow.. a poorer area .. I dont see much poverty at all.. kids are dressed well . I was a divorced single mum back in the 60s 70s and it was tough.. but now there is loads of help for women on their own with kids.. no more second hand prams. clothes etc.. everything is given brand new best quality.. its a nonsense about kids going hungry and needing free meals at schools.. maybe parents need social services to have a look at what is really going on in these homes..

Old 03-17-2024, 09:57 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
[quote=dizzybint;66541378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
there is poverty but the term "poverty" is overused, we have a welfare state and many children get free school meals, its nothing like the Victorian era.[/QUOTE It certainly is not and there is a lot of help out there ... this is a nonsense and maybe parents could do with money management courses.. as down here where I live in Glasgow.. a poorer area .. I dont see much poverty at all.. kids are dressed well . I was a divorced single mum back in the 60s 70s and it was tough.. but now there is loads of help for women on their own with kids.. no more second hand prams. clothes etc.. everything is given brand new best quality.. its a nonsense about kids going hungry and needing free meals at schools.. maybe parents need social services to have a look at what is really going on in these homes..
You aren’t alone over there. Here, schools provide free lunches and sometimes breakfasts to school children…At first, it was just to poor families, but then the bleeding hearts decided it was a stigma, so now it’s available to everyone. Not sure why it’s the taxpayers responsibility to feed other peoples children, but the government wastes money on worse things, I guess.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:09 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's going on there?

After decades of cuts to public services, schools were now the “frontline of the battle against child poverty”, and at risk of being “overwhelmed”.

‘Desperate neglect’: teachers washing clothes and finding beds as poverty grips England’s schools. Schools risk being overwhelmed by hungry, exhausted children from freezing homes, children living in homes without enough beds or unable to sleep because they were cold.

It all depends how you define poverty, and it should be noted that the poorest families in the UK receive housing benefits, tax credits, child benefit and other benefits as well as free healthcare and prescriptions etc.

There is plenty of poverty in other western countries including many parts of Europe which even have shanty towns and the US (one of the richest country in the world) is hardly renowned for it's generous welfare provision and healthcare systems, and it should be noted that even Germany now has high rates of people using food banks, whilst one in five children in the top 40 richest countries in the world live in poverty according to the UN.

As for the decades of cuts, the country was left close to bankruptcy following the bailing out of the banks due to the 2007 financial crisis, and this has been followed by yet more recent austerity linked to debt racked up by the country shutting down during the pandemic, whilst increased energy costs due to the War in Ukraine and Russian Sanctions coupled with global inflation and recession have just added to the global misery.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-17-2024 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 11:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 844,400 times
It's amazing how poor people always seem to have a few too many kids. Are they so dumb that they couldn`t find their way to a family planning clinic or that father doesn't know where the nearest drug store is and for a modest sum of money purchase a pack or two of condoms.

Meanwhile the rest of us who work hard 5 days a week, strive hard and sacrifice to get ahead, plan how many kids we want, think ahead that one day they'll need money for college or university and end up paying a shed load of taxes to support these losers.

During Obama's Presidency the Affordable Care Act came into being which resulted in a few million Americans too young for Medicare suddenly having medical coverage. Pretty soon the complaints started coming in . "Why should I have to pay for a medical coverage I don't need. I'm young, healthy. Don't need it now" was the common complaint.

Those same people knew that if they were suddenly taken ill they could walk into one of the County Hospitals and get treatment done for free if they were unable to pay for it and those County hospitals supported from taxpayer money. In fact not even privately funded hospitals can turn a sick person away. At the hospital where my daughter works there are always a couple of homeless admitted for treatment every week and the hospitals have to eat the cost. Some of them are veterans, druggies who got hooked on the stuff in Afghanistan and dont want to go to the VA for treatment because they would have to undergo rehab treatment which means no longer able to get the stuff.

On the subject of schools in Britain we received hot meals every day plus milk and most of us weren't poor either. Teachers did not put up, with any nonsense . We were well schooled in spelling, math, history, geography, and science.

I was surprised on arrival in America to see how many adults misspelled every day common English words

Last edited by James Austen; 03-17-2024 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2024, 08:30 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post

I was surprised on arrival in America to see how many adults misspelled every day common English words
You mean words like “favor”, “color”, “labor”, and “center”?

Old 03-18-2024, 01:23 PM

2,331 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
You mean words like “favor”, “color”, “labor”, and “center”?
The lack of the letter "U' as you know is not a misspell in American English. I was referring to such words as Accommodation or Exemplary and others in common usage. My boss used to handwrite memos with one or two spelling mistakes included and his secretary had to correct them before typing up. I also saw the words "Their" and "There" used in the wrong context

Last edited by James Austen; 03-18-2024 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-18-2024, 06:10 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's going on there?

Simply you have answered the question you posed. Austerity over a decade plus. Thus impacting on the most vulnerable but also pushing more of those with jobs into the working poor and requiring government assistance to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom