Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times

Advertisements

Yeah you`re right.Suits me. I`ve made my point. I`ll leave it to others now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Yeah you`re right.Suits me. I`ve made my point. I`ll leave it to others now.
Agreed. But your points are based on a position where a monarchy is justified, and futher, praised for carrying out deeds that any ordinary person is not. My position is one where the monarchy isn't recognised in the first place.

As I said, I think it is honorouble for any soldier wherever they are, but I am more impressed by John Doe from Sweden who has 2 kids at home, than a royal prince (probably more protected than most), who has everything for nothing.

Any enlightened and progressivley free society would not condone a hereditary monarchy, as it is undeniably against the equal and democratic principles that make and sustain a progressive and free society. But, here we are seeing Harry on the front page of every major newspaper, and people talking about how wonderful it is for a royal to be on the front lines.

Our press are more concerned with catering to the 'dumbing down' of British society, than tackling the real issues of true progression.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Very well put..
Unfortunately you have still not answered the question. PLEASE leave the proof you base your opinions on!!! The BBC did not follow him for 10 wks, as you suggested. Do you really think any of them, from either side, could have carried out the job properly if they did?? ``Lets stop the real war Harry`s here`` I appreciate your anti monarchy feelings, but at the same time I think a little realism should come into it...
PS ,,You have gone a little overboard with opinion to try to hide facts..And those are the only things sensible people will be interested in...

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 03-01-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: a

Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
I'm too young to remember and too lazy to look it up , but what happened with Prince Andrew serving in the Falklands War - epec. as regards media attention....?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I'm too young to remember and too lazy to look it up , but what happened with Prince Andrew serving in the Falklands War - epec. as regards media attention....?
Good point..What actually happened was when he served in the Falklands war was this..
He went to war as a helicopter pilot based onboard ship.
The name of the ship wasn`t disclosed until after the war, thereby not attracting attention to his ship and his fellows..
And your point would be??
Click on Falklands War,,,,Not too difficult
Prince Andrew, Duke of York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry if that came across a little ***** but I`m on my way to a good night out, with a good band, and it was a shade taxing....Inhale,,,Inhale,,,,,,Thats better..next stop oxygen,,,,,

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 03-01-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Good point..What actually happened was when he served in the Falklands war was this..
He went to war as a helicopter pilot based onboard ship.
The name of the ship wasn`t disclosed until after the war, thereby not attracting attention to his ship and his fellows..
And your point would be??
Click on Falklands War,,,,Not too difficult
Prince Andrew, Duke of York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry if that came across a little ***** but I`m on my way to a good night out, with a good band, and it was a shade taxing....Inhale,,,Inhale,,,,,,Thats better..next stop oxygen,,,,,
No point, just wondered...often someone has personal knowledge from following the story at the time which is better than a web page

I wonder if the journalists at that time would have released the name of the ship, even if it was found out....

Have a great night out!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
I wonder if the journalists at that time would have released the name of the ship, even if it was found out....
The Falklands battle area, and therefore press access was a lot more controllable by military authorities.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The Falklands battle area, and therefore press access was a lot more controllable by military authorities.
True - goegraphically it was more difficult to access Prince Andrew in the South Atlantic, but there was no official media blackout, as existed with Harry (the first since 1936).

My question was to those who remember at the time - was there media interest or speculation as to where Andrew was, or were we less 'celebrity-obssessed' back then?

It is not an interest in the royal family that prompts the question, more the fact that - in the Internet driven, celebrity-mad age - the successful 10 week press blackout on Harry was longer than the British press editors imagined possible.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
True - goegraphically it was more difficult to access Prince Andrew in the South Atlantic, but there was no official media blackout, as existed with Harry (the first since 1936).

My question was to those who remember at the time - was there media interest or speculation as to where Andrew was, or were we less 'celebrity-obssessed' back then?

It is not an interest in the royal family that prompts the question, more the fact that - in the Internet driven, celebrity-mad age - the successful 10 week press blackout on Harry was longer than the British press editors imagined possible.
That is absolutely marvellous,,
You are right in your question,,and your asumpsions,, I was 25yrs old and had a son ,and a daughter on the way...I was only interested at the time about this,,,``I hope the Argies get a ``sidewinder`` up the hole`` attitude.
Flags were in every pub, and indeed, every building. I make no apologies for thinking it,,then or now...There is a great difference between loving your country and being a Nationalist...There are too many people in England today who are SCARED of saying they love thier country, for fear of being branded a Nationalist,,,,I am not One of them,,

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
True - goegraphically it was more difficult to access Prince Andrew in the South Atlantic, but there was no official media blackout, as existed with Harry (the first since 1936
But there was, and is, the Official Secrets Act,,,

Brian Hanrahan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom