Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:14 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's great news! Thanks. Easy peasy then. (I don't know what an 02 sim is but probably I will be able to get what I need.) Dirt cheap is always good too.

The phone is new and unlocked. dh put my old sim into it all by his little self so it must be an easy thing to do. Thank you (breathing a sigh of relief now.)
O2 is a carrier like T-Mobile or Sprint. O2 | Mobile Phones, Mobile Broadband and Sim Only Deals on O2

There is also EE, which IIRC is a T-mobile affiliate Our Brands and Services | Our Company | EE
And has 4 stores near Gatwick

Also, have you contacted T-Mobile and asked about having International Calling enabled, before you leave, on the phone + sim you have ?
https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-se...rnational.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I put up a load of photos from today in the garden and weather forums. We've got magnolias about to flower, and lots of camellias, cherry, crocuses, witch hazel, mimosa in flower as well.

In March the tulips will be starting to bloom, as well as some rhododendrons. There will still be daffodils as there are several different species that flower between mid-February to late March.
OMG. I'll look at your pictures in the garden forum. I love cherry blossoms and we do get them here but not in winter. Maybe in May. Camellias? Aren't those sub-tropical? I only saw one once and that was a long time ago in Florida. All those would flower in May over here but Camellias can't even survive.

England is a gardener's paradise.

O2 is a carrier like T-Mobile or Sprint. O2 | Mobile Phones, Mobile Broadband and Sim Only Deals on O2

There is also EE, which IIRC is a T-mobile affiliate Our Brands and Services | Our Company | EE
And has 4 stores near Gatwick

Also, have you contacted T-Mobile and asked about having International Calling enabled, before you leave, on the phone + sim you have ?
https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-se...rnational.html

Thank you, reed303. I don't think I'll need international calling; I never needed it before. I would just send an old fashioned email if I had to. I use T-Mobile here and have used it before in England. I'm just not at all familiar with Gatwick or London--but now I'll know.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
We're supposed to arrive 7th March and I'd like to get my smart phone up and running asap. We're supposed to meet dh's school pal the next day and we're supposed to find our way to the place where we will be sleeping. I'd like to get the GPS working as well as text or ability to make a call.

As far as I know, we're picking up a car from Enterprise when we get to Gatwick--so maybe we could just drive to a T-Mobile shop? Does anyone know offhand?
You should find a shop in Gatwick or some kind off mobile shop

Enjoy your holiday my love

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
You should find a shop in Gatwick or some kind off mobile shop

Enjoy your holiday my love
Thank you, LC. If you were smaller I'd try to fit you into my suitcase for the trip back.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you, LC. If you were smaller I'd try to fit you into my suitcase for the trip back.
Well I have lost half a stone in weight if that helps?

You're very welcome

Old 02-25-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Well I have lost half a stone in weight if that helps?

You're very welcome
You must look great! But you'll have to shrink quite a bit too!

Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You must look great! But you'll have to shrink quite a bit too!
Yes I've another stone to lose ... I'll update ya

Old 02-25-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes I've another stone to lose ... I'll update ya
Yep. Stay in touch.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
We're supposed to arrive 7th March and I'd like to get my smart phone up and running asap. We're supposed to meet dh's school pal the next day and we're supposed to find our way to the place where we will be sleeping. I'd like to get the GPS working as well as text or ability to make a call.

As far as I know, we're picking up a car from Enterprise when we get to Gatwick--so maybe we could just drive to a T-Mobile shop? Does anyone know offhand?
Do you have T-Mobile?

If so, you get unlimited text and data almost all over Europe. Calls will cost you $.20 a min, but I've found the data speeds fast enough to use Skype and Facebook calling without being connected to wifi.

JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU CALL THEM AHEAD OF TIME. You have to make sure that your Simple Choice plan or Tmobile One plans are activated. It does not cost anything additional.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Heathrow has shops where you can buy sim cards they will set it up for you to use immediately, pretty sure they would have the same in Gatwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom