Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:00 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Canada/Australia/India/most of south african continent...

Can/Aus has the brain power, india has the cheap labor costs/Africa has many of the mines and resources for modern electronics...

The uk can pull something out of the hat. Im looking to see if the uk can finance all of this as a revival of the british empire, or if the debt for it without using the military to command obedience will topple the uk.
the commonwealth ( while harmless ) is a nostalgic throwback to a time when most of the world tipped the hat to britain , neither canada or australia are reliant on the uk in 2017 to a fraction of the degree they once were and canada never was in the first place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:02 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
The economic success will depend on good deals with the big markets - EU, USA, China.

As the UK's starting off from a week position can't say I'm hopeful. Whatever the UK gets will be a hit over the current arrangements, the question will be how much.
the one large trump card the uk has is the usa , the usa has always sought to undermine the EU economically and politically and the uk was always an unreliable and disloyal EU member , with trump in the white house i can see the uk using its special relationship when facing down germany and france

Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the one large trump card the uk has is the usa , the usa has always sought to undermine the EU economically and politically and the uk was always an unreliable and disloyal EU member , with trump in the white house i can see the uk using its special relationship when facing down germany and france
That's absurd!

It's certainly true that the current Trump admin would like to see the back of the EU, but they are the first ever admin to adopt such a stance. The US has until now always been a strong supporter of the EU.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
The EU and/or the Eurozone is going to collapse all on its own .......

"But the fact that the eurozone has reached a point where the entire system can collapse because of an election, a bailout negotiation or measures taken by a foreign government speaks volumes of its fragility."

https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/stor...7&kwp_1=574052

Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The EU and/or the Eurozone is going to collapse all on its own .......

"But the fact that the eurozone has reached a point where the entire system can collapse because of an election, a bailout negotiation or measures taken by a foreign government speaks volumes of its fragility."

https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/stor...7&kwp_1=574052
Ah give us a break, Stratfor!

"Stratfor is just The Economist a week later and several hundred times more expensive."

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...iously/253681/

Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post

"Stratfor is just The Economist a week later and several hundred times more expensive."

So if you can't dispute the message you shoot the messenger?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Actually, the U.S. foreign policy elite has sought to bolster the EU as a bulwark against Communism. (Hence Obama's attempt to keep the UK in the EU). Which...now seems an antiquated notion for a time past.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
The economic success will depend on good deals with the big markets - EU, USA, China.

As the UK's starting off from a week position can't say I'm hopeful..
Britain will get a trade deal with the USA. That will greatly enhance Britain's prospects.

I don't know about China or India. I expect that the EU to offer a deal that is poor at best.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 04-04-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post

Whether they're a joke or not, the claims made are pretty solid. The EU has serious structural and political problems. BREXIT isn't the UK just being d**ks, that's symptomatic of bigger issues that includes Denmark, France and the Netherlands, to say nothing of the unresolved Greek issue, or Italy's zero growth rate since its 1999 entry into the Euro, and Spain's unemployment crisis, which while it has fallen it is because of emigration, not job creation.

Problem is that the EU are selling (and have been since it happened) the BREXIT vote as being a UK issue, rather than it being symptomatic of larger issues. Until they face these issues, the EU will continue to be fragile, even more so with the UK leaving and extracting it's net contribution.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Whether they're a joke or not, the claims made are pretty solid. The EU has serious structural and political problems. BREXIT isn't the UK just being d**ks, that's symptomatic of bigger issues that includes Denmark, France and the Netherlands, to say nothing of the unresolved Greek issue, or Italy's zero growth rate since its 1999 entry into the Euro, and Spain's unemployment crisis, which while it has fallen it is because of emigration, not job creation.

Problem is that the EU are selling (and have been since it happened) the BREXIT vote as being a UK issue, rather than it being symptomatic of larger issues. Until they face these issues, the EU will continue to be fragile, even more so with the UK leaving and extracting it's net contribution.
I made no claim nor do I subscribe to the view that the EU is perfect, and I doubt you could find any takers for that proposition. Just as the same can be said of the US, and many other countries.
Stratfor reporting has been called into question so often, I simply wouldn't trust anything in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom