Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC. Thinking about visiting London for 2.5-3 days. Arrive Sat AM, leave Monday evening-night.

Is that enough time to realistically see London & Stonehenge or do I need more time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I live in NYC. Thinking about visiting London for 2.5-3 days. Arrive Sat AM, leave Monday evening-night.

Is that enough time to realistically see London & Stonehenge or do I need more time?
If you want to go to Stonehenge then you should probably try to make a day of it. There are tour companies that offer pretty decent day trips and which include Windsor Castle and other places. You could set that up for the Sunday.

For London itself, you can hit the high spots - Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls and the Tower of London - fairly easily in the time you have left.

Obviously, for a more in-depth visit you would need more time.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If you want to go to Stonehenge then you should probably try to make a day of it. There are tour companies that offer pretty decent day trips and which include Windsor Castle and other places. You could set that up for the Sunday.

For London itself, you can hit the high spots - Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St. Pauls and the Tower of London - fairly easily in the time you have left.

Obviously, for a more in-depth visit you would need more time.
This.

I was stationed in the UK at Upper Heyford and I drove to Stonehenge. This was in the late eighties, and at that time it was just a bunch of rocks in the distance behind a tall fence lining the road. I drove right past it before I realized that might have been it, and went back. There was no marker or anything, just a few people parked on the side of the road looking at it from the fence.

I also saw Windsor Castle, Stratford-upon-Avon, Bath, Oxford the same weekend. Warwick Castle is also worth seeing and touring.

In London, what I found worth the stops was the Tower of London where I saw the royal jewels and they had a re-enactment of the guillotine. I imagine the new Ferris wheel allows you to see a lot, like Big Ben and the Tower Bridge.

Buckingham Palace was neat, and we just happened to be there during the changing of the guards.

Ride a double-decker bus and ride the tube (London Underground) to/from Victoria Station. It's beautiful.

Last edited by convextech; 07-07-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM

699 posts, read 369,140 times
Quote:

Do Stonehenge first then spend the two days travelling around London and taking in the (polluted) atmosphere.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 AM

How far is Stonehenge from London?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
How far is Stonehenge from London?
It is around 90 miles.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
I would say: NO!!! 3 days is not enough unless you can get a dirt-cheap flight. You could spend weeks exploring London. If all you can manage is 3 days, I would forget Stonehenge for this trip and just explore central London on foot - you can get guided walking tours - you see a lot more that way. Also take a river Thames cruise to Greenwich or Kew if the weather is good or haunt some of the free museums and galleries if it isn't.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
It was a long time ago but we just drove to Stonehenge. Of course in those days, you just parked and walked in. Apparently it's different now.

London--Tower of London, as someone mentioned in really interesting. I've also done the double decker bus tour. But I've only really skimmed the surface. It would be much better to spend at least a week there. After all, you'll have jet lag at first, you'll waste some time getting to your hotel, and it would be nice not to be rushed into seeing things. Is there any reason why you want to spend such a short time there?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Is 2.5 days enough time to realistically see NYC? Of course not. You'll get a small taste, a chance to see a carefully curated selection of attractions, but that's it.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was a long time ago but we just drove to Stonehenge. Of course in those days, you just parked and walked in. Apparently it's different now.

London--Tower of London, as someone mentioned in really interesting. I've also done the double decker bus tour. But I've only really skimmed the surface. It would be much better to spend at least a week there. After all, you'll have jet lag at first, you'll waste some time getting to your hotel, and it would be nice not to be rushed into seeing things. Is there any reason why you want to spend such a short time there?
We have off from work an additional day so I wanted to take advantage of it if I could. It is a national holiday for us so workplaces close on that Monday. I'm maxed out on my vacation time otherwise.

Is the only way to see Stonehenge through a tour co? People can't just go independently anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom