Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 PM

724 posts, read 504,188 times

Advertisements

It's come to my attention that the Republican Sinn Fein party is classified as a terrorist organization by the US State Department , whereas the UK government doesn't classify it as such .

Why is this so ? I mean the CIRA ( which is it's armed wing ) has never committed any terrorist attacks in the US , while it has in the UK . Is the same usual tactic of attempting to appease physical force Irish Republicans at work ? Or does the US government take a harder stance on terrorism in general than its UK counterpart ?

I don't mean to insult the UK in any way for the record . In fact I think that the US authorities are quite nuts with their bleating on about terrorism and such and I say that as a true blue Yank .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,167,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
It's come to my attention that the Republican Sinn Fein party is classified as a terrorist organization by the US State Department , whereas the UK government doesn't classify it as such .

Why is this so ? I mean the CIRA ( which is it's armed wing ) has never committed any terrorist attacks in the US , while it has in the UK . Is the same usual tactic of attempting to appease physical force Irish Republicans at work ? Or does the US government take a harder stance on terrorism in general than its UK counterpart ?

I don't mean to insult the UK in any way for the record . In fact I think that the US authorities are quite nuts with their bleating on about terrorism and such and I say that as a true blue Yank .
Sinn Fein as far as I know are recognized as a political party separate from the IRA but in reality they are one and the same. They are the political wing of the IRA and of course are voted for come election time. This despite the fact that Republicans killed 2,100 of the 3,700 killed in the Troubles.

They were in joint government at Stormont when it was running.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 PM

522 posts, read 716,325 times
Why aren't the Ulster loyalists classified as a terrorist group?

Old 02-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony321 View Post
Why aren't the Ulster loyalists classified as a terrorist group?
Ulster loyalists are not a terrorist group and Irish republicans are not a terrorist group. I'm fairly sure there are loyalists and republicans who are not in a terrorist group ie loyalists and republicans who don't believe in using terror tactics.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Okay ta ra LA Anne

Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,999 times
If you commit terror you are a terrorist. Or are there double standards. Muslims committing terror acts in UK are named as terrorists and the IRA did a lot of that in the past.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:07 AM

I was referring to the orange men and IRA Ulsterman not the nationalist and loyalists who are everyday mo shmose!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 AM

724 posts, read 504,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Sinn Fein as far as I know are recognized as a political party separate from the IRA but in reality they are one and the same. They are the political wing of the IRA and of course are voted for come election time. This despite the fact that Republicans killed 2,100 of the 3,700 killed in the Troubles.

They were in joint government at Stormont when it was running.

Yes I know that Sinn Fein is the political wing of the no longer active Provisional IRA , but the party I'm referring to is this one : https://republicansinnfein.org/

They're the political wing of the Continuity IRA ( as evidenced by releases like this https://republicansinnfein.org/2015/...rom-cira-pows/ ) and the US State Department classifies them as a terrorist organization : https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2004/34345.htm

Yet the UK government doesn't consider them as such , which is strange to me since they ( unlike Sinn Fein ) reject the Good Friday Agreement and the CIRA has carried out terrorist attacks in the UK in the not so distant past . Why is this so ?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,280,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yes I know that Sinn Fein is the political wing of the no longer active Provisional IRA , but the party I'm referring to is this one : https://republicansinnfein.org/

They're the political wing of the Continuity IRA ( as evidenced by releases like this https://republicansinnfein.org/2015/...rom-cira-pows/ ) and the US State Department classifies them as a terrorist organization : https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2004/34345.htm

Yet the UK government doesn't consider them as such , which is strange to me since they ( unlike Sinn Fein ) reject the Good Friday Agreement and the CIRA has carried out terrorist attacks in the UK in the not so distant past . Why is this so ?
So...

Here's the problem with the label terrorist, who are terrorists? Back when there was a Provisional IRA the US didn't consider them a terrorist organization for a really long time, in fact more or less just before they sold out and went mainstream . al-Quaeda wasn't a terrorist organization until they flew planes into the WTC, the US even financed their operations against the Russians and Soviets (yes there is a difference), the El Salvadorian Contras weren't considered a terrorist organization by the US (although about every other country in the world considered them such).

So what is a terrorist is largely contextual, and different countries have different contexts. A terror organization in the US means something specific, that the US can (under provocation) prosecute a campaign against them, with little regard to the common laws of war (like firing missiles at wedding processions in third party countries). However in the UK that's pretty irrelevant, because any group the UK government determines is worthy can have such a campaign waged, the UK government is less tied up in it's latitude than the US government, so where the US government may need that title to enable it to respond in a timely manner should it need to, the UK government has no such requirement, so there's no legislative need for that label.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
If you commit terror you are a terrorist. Or are there double standards. Muslims committing terror acts in UK are named as terrorists and the IRA did a lot of that in the past.
But the Irish are different matter judging how Downing St act..or should I say don't act. They are frightened of the IRA. Tony Blair more or less admitted this when he was questioned about the OTR letters. His answer was something like 'what was I to do if I had not given them OTR letters there was going to be more bombing and people killed '. So he was admitting that the IRA had the whip-hand.

The Irish are brilliant at playing the 'poor downtrodden' card and most people with no understanding of the situation will support them as the underdog. So maybe that's why Downing St don't act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom