Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 AM

724 posts, read 502,861 times

Advertisements

One of my greatest ambitions is to make a series of Narcos style docudramas concerning history , as well as " edgy " topics such as real life organized crime and terrorist groups . Which makes a Troubles set docudrama about real life Northern Irish paramilitary terrorist groups a natural option .

Before anyone brings this issue up , I'd like to state that my vision of such a show would be done respectfully , i.e. there would be a statement at the start of each episode along the lines of " The following show is dedicated to the innocent victims of the Northern Irish conflict " , and it would be totally anti Hollywood/bias free . In other words all of the groups would be portrayed as cold hard terrorists/thugs as opposed to romanticized freedom fighters and any litigation would hopefully come on the part of still living former and/or active terrorists . For example the show would delve into the role of Gerry Adams' IRA involvement , so there would more than likely be a lawsuit coming from him , which would make the show all the more appreciable by ordinary right thinking folk .

So how would such a show be received in the UK ? Would the government ban/get in the way of filming on UK territory ? Would there be large street protests opposing the production of such a show ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
One of my greatest ambitions is to make a series of Narcos style docudramas concerning history , as well as " edgy " topics such as real life organized crime and terrorist groups . Which makes a Troubles set docudrama about real life Northern Irish paramilitary terrorist groups a natural option .

Before anyone brings this issue up , I'd like to state that my vision of such a show would be done respectfully , i.e. there would be a statement at the start of each episode along the lines of " The following show is dedicated to the innocent victims of the Northern Irish conflict " , and it would be totally anti Hollywood/bias free . In other words all of the groups would be portrayed as cold hard terrorists/thugs as opposed to romanticized freedom fighters and any litigation would hopefully come on the part of still living former and/or active terrorists . For example the show would delve into the role of Gerry Adams' IRA involvement , so there would more than likely be a lawsuit coming from him , which would make the show all the more appreciable by ordinary right thinking folk .

So how would such a show be received in the UK ? Would the government ban/get in the way of filming on UK territory ? Would there be large street protests opposing the production of such a show ?
You're behind the times old sport.
There have been quite a few " docudramas " on big and small screen about the Troubles.
But if you did make one I'm sure the people of Northern Ireland are brave enough to take it in their stride ...

Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You're behind the times old sport.
There have been quite a few " docudramas " on big and small screen about the Troubles.
But if you did make one I'm sure the people of Northern Ireland are brave enough to take it in their stride ...
Really ? Even ones in the style of Narcos ? I mean I'm not aware of any live action TV series set during the Troubles featuring actors playing real life paramilitary members .

Maybe I'm in the minority here , but I think it would be great to have a TV show that would portray people such as Brendan Hughes , Gusty Spence , Gino Gallagher , Billy Wright , etc. , and all the activities they were mixed up in . It could even turn out to be a grand historical epic .

Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Really ? Even ones in the style of Narcos ? I mean I'm not aware of any live action TV series set during the Troubles featuring actors playing real life paramilitary members .

Maybe I'm in the minority here , but I think it would be great to have a TV show that would portray people such as Brendan Hughes , Gusty Spence , Gino Gallagher , Billy Wright , etc. , and all the activities they were mixed up in . It could even turn out to be a grand historical epic .
As a genre it's considered rather passé now.
Every cliché you could imagine has already been used and by the sound of your pitch you'd like to re-visit most of them ...

Old 04-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
As a genre it's considered rather passé now.
Every cliché you could imagine has already been used and by the sound of your pitch you'd like to re-visit most of them ...

I don't doubt that people in Northern Ireland aren't that interested in Troubles related film productions , but do you think this applies to the world at large as well ? I mean most people here in the States aren't particularly aware of the conflict , and if they are only know the Hollywood version of it , which is why I think there's great potential in creating a series that would give people here and in other parts of the world an entertaining historically accurate picture of the conflict .

I also wouldn't revisit any cliches . The show would be 100% historically accurate and everything portrayed would be portrayed as it actually happened , with all unclear/debatable parts left out . It would start off at an important catalyst point ( such as the dynamiting of Nelson's Pillar ) and end with the signing of the Good Friday Agreement .

Old 04-12-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I don't doubt that people in Northern Ireland aren't that interested in Troubles related film productions , but do you think this applies to the world at large as well ? I mean most people here in the States aren't particularly aware of the conflict , and if they are only know the Hollywood version of it , which is why I think there's great potential in creating a series that would give people here and in other parts of the world an entertaining historically accurate picture of the conflict .

I also wouldn't revisit any cliches . The show would be 100% historically accurate and everything portrayed would be portrayed as it actually happened , with all unclear/debatable parts left out . It would start off at an important catalyst point ( such as the dynamiting of Nelson's Pillar ) and end with the signing of the Good Friday Agreement .
Well,you can either talk the talk or walk the walk.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well,you can either talk the talk or walk the walk.

Do you mean I should focus on putting my ideas into practice as opposed to asking questions about how they will be received ?

Old 04-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Do you mean I should focus on putting my ideas into practice as opposed to asking questions about how they will be received ?
No,what you should do is approach a Hollywood studio and say I'm some bloke off the internet but I've got a great idea for a movie which I've floated on City Data Forum so will you give me millions of dollars to make it even though I don't have one word of a script written yet.

What do you think ?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
No,what you should do is approach a Hollywood studio and say I'm some bloke off the internet but I've got a great idea for a movie which I've floated on City Data Forum so will you give me millions of dollars to make it even though I don't have one word of a script written yet.

What do you think ?

I'd never approach a Hollywood studio since involving them would more than likely result in creating a Hollywood type production , which would be completely against my goals with this series . I'd prefer to move forward with this as an independent filmmaker , however if necessary I'd either involve RTE or the BBC in my project . Of course that could turn out to be a bad idea as well , but I'd trust them more with maintaining historical accuracy/realism than the boys at Hollywood .

Also I hope I haven't offended you with this thread or anything . I realize that the Troubles is a rather sensitive subject that should be dealt with carefully , which is precisely why I'd stay away from the romantic freedom fighter theme , as well as any sort of partisan bias .

The show would merely portray things as they actually occurred in an entertaining enough way to reach a wide audience .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom