Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 AM

14 posts, read 42,460 times

Advertisements

I know, my spelling is rubbish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightclan View Post
If you want to be pedantic, it's anglicise; though I suspect the OED would list the -ize and -ise endings as equally acceptable.
Yes I do want to be pedantic, I enjoy it. But I was resisting.

If we're properly Anglicising then we'll have none of those silly Zs thank you very much.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

If we're properly Anglicising then we'll have none of those silly Zs thank you very much.
Yes - it just helps them cheat at Scrabble!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM

238 posts, read 624,423 times
Quote:

I think Oxford English Dictionary and other British academic publications may beg to differ. Unfortunately, OED online is no longer free to use (it used to be). For an interesting take on correct usage click here.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Too many generalizations here - there are different accents throughout the UK and diffferent pronounciations. Scots of course pronounce all of those words differently, and don't add an "r" sound at the end. We just swallow the consonants and roll our r's.

My pet peeve is American pronounciations of Scottish place names.
Edinburgh - "Edinburra" not "Edinburg"
Glasgow - "Glas-go" NOT Glaz-gow"
Loch Ness - is not "Lack Ness" you have to make a clearing the throat sound.
And of course it is "Scot-land" not "Scatland" and we are "Scots" not the "Scotch".
Scotch is just Whisky.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:59 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Too many generalizations here - there are different accents throughout the UK and diffferent pronounciations. Scots of course pronounce all of those words differently, and don't add an "r" sound at the end. We just swallow the consonants and roll our r's.

And of course it is "Scot-land" not "Scatland" and we are "Scots" not the "Scotch".
Scotch is just Whisky.
This just reminded me of something that I've always been curious about. Why are residents of Galsgow known as Glaswegians and not Glasgowians? The city isn't called Glaswege. Same goes for residents of Halifax, Canada. For some reason they go by Haligonians not Halifaxians. These are the only two cities that I can think of off the top of my head that have these unique endings for residents of their respective cities.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:06 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This just reminded me of something that I've always been curious about. Why are residents of Galsgow known as Glaswegians and not Glasgowians? The city isn't called Glaswege. Same goes for residents of Halifax, Canada. For some reason they go by Haligonians not Halifaxians. These are the only two cities that I can think of off the top of my head that have these unique endings for residents of their respective cities.
There are plenty here, although many are colloquial. A couple that come to mind are:

Liverpool - Liverpudlians or scousers (colloq.)
Newcastle - Geordies (colloq.)
Birmingham - Brummies (colloq.)
Manchester - Mancunians...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Yes - it just helps them cheat at Scrabble!
LOL - didn't think of that!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
There are plenty here, although many are colloquial. A couple that come to mind are:

Liverpool - Liverpudlians or scousers (colloq.)
Newcastle - Geordies (colloq.)
Birmingham - Brummies (colloq.)
Manchester - Mancunians...

Yeah, but how did the non colloquial ones come about? Residents of London aren't referred to as Londrakians. Where did Glaswegian, Haligonian and Liverpudian come from? Mancunian? Are you kidding or is that for real? I've never heard of that one, that's crazy. This is very interesting to me. Thanks

Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 AM

238 posts, read 624,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

Scotch is just Whisky.

Those are pretty junior league place names.

How about Arrochar? Now, I know in my head exactly how it's supposed to sound, but my Yankee tongue can't even get close to it. When my wife wants to embarrass me, she asks me to say "Arrochar" in public. Also not sure how to type it phonetically here.

Then there's Milngavie. I can say that pretty well. Something like "Mull-guy;" but the "l" sound is barely perceptible.

Another is Kilconquhar. Actually, I think many Scots (if they're not from Fife) haven't got a clue how to say that one, and may have never heard of it. It's said something like "Ka-nuch-er." (The "ch" sound having a slight throat clearing sound).

Last edited by wrightclan; 05-30-2008 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom