Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 06:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times

Advertisements

Just thought i'd post this as i'm not sure if it's on TV in Britain but there is a show called Globe Trekker on PBS here in the U.S.State's in which the host Ian Wright (British) visits and tours a different country or island etc around the world each week and today he toured Southern England and Wales and i just wanted to say it's very beautiful there as i'm jealous .

He started at the White Cliffs at Dover then on to Canterbury and to the Cathedral there where Thomas Beckett was murdered by Henry II in 1170 and then on to the Glastonbury as a HUGE festival was going on as it looked like Woodstock as everyone was just crazy and having a blast and covered with mud as i wish i was there with them. Then on to the coastline at Port Isaac in North Cornwall as some of the best Beach Surfing is there then to Eden Project which looked like a super large Botanical Garden.

Then on to to Portsmouth as i really want to visit that city as it is England's Naval Capital as i was in the U.S. Navy so i'd feel right at home there. They were featuring the reinactment of the Battle of Trafalgar.in which Admiral Nelson defeated Napoleon's Navy correct?? Then on to a Boy's School where i laughed at the terms used like f.a.g. as that was a servant and when he shined someone's shoes for example that's fagging and of course that means homosexuality in the States so i chucked at hearing that term used like that. Then to Chiipping Campden where the Shin Kicking Festival was going on (interesting and painful...lol...) and lastly to Snowdonia which is the highest mountain in Wales as the view on the top was spectacular. Also i didn't realise that Welch is Europe's oldest continuous language.

Sorry so long but i wanted to post about what i saw on the show as Southern England and Wales was very cool to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 04:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Just thought i'd post this as i'm not sure if it's on TV in Britain but there is a show called Globe Trekker on PBS here in the U.S.State's in which the host Ian Wright (British) visits and tours a different country or island etc around the world each week and today he toured Southern England and Wales and i just wanted to say it's very beautiful there as i'm jealous .

He started at the White Cliffs at Dover then on to Canterbury and to the Cathedral there where Thomas Beckett was murdered by Henry II in 1170 and then on to the Glastonbury as a HUGE festival was going on as it looked like Woodstock as everyone was just crazy and having a blast and covered with mud as i wish i was there with them. Then on to the coastline at Port Isaac in North Cornwall as some of the best Beach Surfing is there then to Eden Project which looked like a super large Botanical Garden.

Then on to to Portsmouth as i really want to visit that city as it is England's Naval Capital as i was in the U.S. Navy so i'd feel right at home there. They were featuring the reinactment of the Battle of Trafalgar.in which Admiral Nelson defeated Napoleon's Navy correct?? Then on to a Boy's School where i laughed at the terms used like f.a.g. as that was a servant and when he shined someone's shoes for example that's fagging and of course that means homosexuality in the States so i chucked at hearing that term used like that. Then to Chiipping Campden where the Shin Kicking Festival was going on (interesting and painful...lol...) and lastly to Snowdonia which is the highest mountain in Wales as the view on the top was spectacular. Also i didn't realise that Welch is Europe's oldest continuous language.

Sorry so long but i wanted to post about what i saw on the show as Southern England and Wales was very cool to see.
Was this the first time you heard of Glastonbury? It happens every year...google it. And the f.a.g. tradition? Once you are aware of our public schools (private to you) you can make sense of a lot of things about British culture. It wasn't just serving your f a g master, but boys also had to deal with some sadistic teachers.

Here is a link

untitled (http://www.archivist.f2s.com/cpa/written/****/fagmaster.htm - broken link)

It's worth taking a trip here if you can.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Was this the first time you heard of Glastonbury? It happens every year...google it. And the f.a.g. tradition? Once you are aware of our public schools (private to you) you can make sense of a lot of things about British culture. It wasn't just serving your f a g master, but boys also had to deal with some sadistic teachers.

Here is a link

untitled (http://www.archivist.f2s.com/cpa/written/****/fagmaster.htm - broken link)

It's worth taking a trip here if you can.
Yeap that's the first i've heard of Glastonbury and the Fest there as it just looked like a blast as they were even camping in the mud and all.

Thanks for the link as that was interesting about ''fagging'' (serving) and the f.a.g.s (servants) in those schools as it's still strange to say that term in that sense as it's such an underground word here in North America as even City Data won't even let you spell it on here as you have to separate the letters with a period.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,886 times
The f.a.g stuff doesn't really happen anymore, and was only tradition at Eton college, and at £26k per year is the most expensive high school in the world. I had a tour there a couple of weeks back.. very interesting but certainly not typical of english schools.

Glastonbury is a very famouse festival held each year in somerset. This years main act was Jay Z, and whilst we are a bit behind on the rap scene, he was awesome!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,963 times
Glastonbury is a legendry festival held in a field in Somerset for years over 3 days. With a headline act on each day. Unfortunately this year was the first year it didn't sell out. Many think it was due to increasing festival competition, the camping area flooding badly for the last few fesivals (like upto 4 foot of water) and the choice of headliners - Jay Z. The Festival is usually targeted at rock,pop, indie and chill out groups. I went about 6 years ago and it's great if you don;t mind getting soaking wet and muddy plus don't need the bathroom for 3/4 days! (imagine over 100,000 using like 500 portable toilets for 4 days!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom