Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

And how close are they to Prime Minister? In light of our elections, I was just curious. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,682 times
I do not think The UK have many minorites in High Powers!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
I do not think The UK have many minorites in High Powers!!!
Really? The have a pretty substantial black and Indian population, no?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Despite what people may think about race relations in the UK, the corridors of power and the Establishment remains firmly old school and even racist.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Despite what people may think about race relations in the UK, the corridors of power and the Establishment remains firmly old school and even racist.
Really? That's a bummer. So no chance of an Obama in England any time soon, huh?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrise View Post
really? That's a bummer. So no chance of an obama in england any time soon, huh?

nope!!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 AM

9 posts, read 22,069 times
im pretty sure UK has some Jews in power

Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo478 View Post
im pretty sure UK has some Jews in power
Britain has lots of Jews in power, in fact even a Jewish Prime minister at one point. What exactly is your point?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 AM

163 posts, read 320,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I would agree that to get to the corridors of power it is 'old school' but I would not say it was racist

Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Hi guys I'm going to tread carefully on this one because I think it could be easy for the thread to get heated.

Firstly, does the UK have a lot of black citizens? I'm not sure what counts as a lot and what counts as black. If you exclude people who are Asian and look at only people who class themselves as black African, black Caribbean or black other then they account for 2% of the UK population - on that basis I would say that no, the UK does not have a large black population and therefore that makes it all the harder to get a decent candidate to elect.

National Statistics Online (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=273 - broken link)

I sense the implication of the question is that the UK must be more racist than the US because hey, look the US has a black man as President (I have heard some grumbling from black people in the UK that he is no more black than he is white but lets save that for a whole new thread). Leaving aside the fact that we elected a woman as our leader 30 years ago (so the US is obviously sexist) and as mentioned above we have had a Jewish PM (so the US is obviously anti-semitic), I think the real reason is that non-white immigration in to the UK is a very recent phenomenon. It wasn't until the 50's that black people started to arrive in numbers in the UK and it takes time to get people established at the top level in a society (unless you actively discriminate for them which is a hot potato over here).

Frankly, I suspect that an Asian (in this context meaning somebody whose heritage is from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh) is more likely to hit high public office first; the evidence where I live is that the Asian community is much more highly organised/politicised than the local black community.

Anyway, the real problem we have in the UK is that all our politicians are crap and unelectable, regardless of the colour of their skin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom