Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 AM

151 posts, read 273,200 times

Advertisements

This is making me sick to the stomach. Its alright showing support for fellow workers, but these people are slowly leading people all over the country to land their feet on the picket line. We are now in a recession and this type of behaviour can make things worse.

Its all about foreign workers who are involved with the oil industry. A power plant near where I live walked out in support. They too have foreign workers.

These people who are taking part in these wildcat strikes are all under legal threat of being fired on the spot. You don't want to loose your job now, do you?!!

Get back to bloody work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 AM

183 posts, read 396,635 times
Fuel workers seem to be all to eager to go out on strike at a drop of a hat, back to the bad old days of the 70's. If we had to stop European workers coming to Britain to work, we would have to recall all these British workers that went to Europe to work!

As someone who was made redundant about 3 weeks ago, it really annoys me to see people with good jobs not appreciating what they've got, they don't know when they are well off. You only realise when you are out of work how quickly the monthly pay packet is missed! And as my employer went into administration I've not been paid since December!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,134,216 times
It's wrong, those workers have a point. Would you like your job to be given to foreign workers? I think not!

This country is too busy focusing on looking after others but their own, makes me sick.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It's wrong, those workers have a point. Would you like your job to be given to foreign workers? I think not!

This country is too busy focusing on looking after others but their own, makes me sick.
It's not really the case at all. The UK is part of the EU. Therefore anyone from an EU country can legally work in any other part of the EU. If they enforce this, the other EU countries would be within their rights to get rid of any UK workers based in their countries.

Don't forget there are British people working and living elsewhere within Europe. Aren't they then taking other peoples jobs?

The UK fuel workers seem to go out on strike at the drop of a hat at the moment. Maybe if they concentrated on their work and went on strike less, their companies would be a more attractive proposition to win contracts.

If the UK don't want "foreign" workers, we shouldn't have joined Europe in the first place. But we have.

Last edited by Tartanlad; 02-10-2009 at 04:35 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,134,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post

If the UK don't want "foreign" workers, we shouldn't have joined Europe in the first place. But we have.
Isn't being apart of Europe more of a bad thing than good?

I always thought the Scots and English were the most anti Europe.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Isn't being apart of Europe more of a bad thing than good?

I always thought the Scots and English were the most anti Europe.
I think some people are, but not all. Whether we are anti-Europe or not doesn't come into it. The fact is we have joined the EU and are bound by alot of their rules. Although I think there are certain things in the past that we have refused to do.

From an import/export point of view (I used to work in the export industry), it simplified the process of exporting to, or importing from Europe which saves companies alot of time and money on customs paperwork and charges, as goods can move freely throughout Europe. It also meant even the smallest companies could trade with other countries they never thought possible before, and meant UK companies could bid for tenders abroad. The downside I suppose is that it leaves other countries free to bid for tenders here too (which has happened in the current case of the fuel workers). But we can't expect to have it all one way.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,331,152 times
There is a bakery on my industrial estate full of eastern Europeans. Haven't noticed many local unemployed demonstrating for the right to those minimum wage jobs. Or for the right to hand pick fruit on local farms. Or to wipe the backside of OAPs in local care homes. Good luck to foreigners coming to this country to work, as long as they pay their tax and obey the law, as they inevitably do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom