Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Health Care Would You Rather Have United States or United Kingdom?
United States 8 33.33%
United Kingdom 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 PM

71 posts, read 195,105 times

Advertisements

A Question For the British
Whose Health Care Would You Rather Have?
United States Health Care or United Kingdom Health Care?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
UK...

The NHS isn't perfect, but it doesn't discriminate against those who aren't rich enough to get better.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM

250 posts, read 737,629 times
I agree with BCreass. After living in US for over 25 years hands down I would still prefer the health care system of UK. The sheer cost of health care here is ridiculous.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM

33 posts, read 118,025 times
I agree .. the trouble with alot of people in the UK who talk about how they hate the NHS, is that they don't know what they've got until its gone! I live in the US and miss the NHS and absolutly HATE the health care system they have here (or lack of).

Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
My wife & I met a couple from New Jersey while we were on holiday in Mexico, the wife was a nurse.
She said that US medicine is the best in the world for those who can afford it, but she said that it's getting more & more unaffordable.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM

447 posts, read 1,766,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
My wife & I met a couple from New Jersey while we were on holiday in Mexico, the wife was a nurse.
She said that US medicine is the best in the world for those who can afford it, but she said that it's getting more & more unaffordable.
I'm a US and a UK registered nurse and I do not believe that the care in the US is that far above (if above at all) of care in the UK. Overall, the UK has a much healthier population, because citizens can seek care without the worry of how to pay for it.

(I am American, but have spent 5 years in the UK- just relocated back to the US and already miss the NHS)

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
I'm a US and a UK registered nurse and I do not believe that the care in the US is that far above (if above at all) of care in the UK. Overall, the UK has a much healthier population, because citizens can seek care without the worry of how to pay for it.

(I am American, but have spent 5 years in the UK- just relocated back to the US and already miss the NHS)
I have to agree with you EM. I am training to be a nurse and alot of my family member are nurses and they think the UK system is better.

There are alot that has come from the U.K aswell that the U.S uses and there are medical breakthroughs that have come from here too.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 AM

69 posts, read 228,991 times
I think the UK's NHS is better. I've lived under both. While it is absolutely true that an American with a totally comprehensive health plan...and I mean you are covered for literally and totally everything, including pre-existing ailments...is going to get seen more quickly and might get better treatment also, you can't argue with a system that might take a little longer for some conditions, but whatever treatment you get, the cost at the hospital is always, always $0.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM

300 posts, read 1,015,042 times
If im rich: US
If im poor: UK

Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 AM

69 posts, read 228,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
If im rich: US
If im poor: UK
I would qualify that.

If I'm rich: US
If I'm a regular middle class person, or poor: UK

Don't forget also, the UK does also have tons of private healthcare, private hospitals and so on. We have the same system as the USA PLUS the free stuff. You choose what you want. You can pay for enhanced healthcare through an American style health insurer, like BUPA.

I dunno. I just can't see how the US system is better unless you have really great benefits with your job or can afford to pay for the top level of cover. My experience is that not that many Americans have that level of cover. I know a woman in Wisconsin who is obliged to stay in a job she hates because she has good health benefits that cover her whole family. She and her husband both have relatively minor cardiac problems that they got after she took the cover. She feels that if she leaves her job, and therefore her health plan, she won't be covered or will have to pay astronomical sums to get looked after.

I'd prefer to wait another 3 months in line for a hip-replacement or whatever in the UK. It really is NOT a perfect system. There are all kinds of faults and inefficiencies. We all b***h about it constantly because we all own it and demand the best for our tax. But it's not at all bad. I consider that my family has had great service and wonderful treatment for decades here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom