Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,344 times

Advertisements

Food critics have ommitted Gorden Ramsey from the years top 50 UK chiefs. Although Ramsey is the only chef to have a 3 star michelin London restaurant critics said he was doing too much away from his restaurants including TV shows both sides of the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM

16,660 posts, read 17,424,883 times
As if I care one way or the other.

Even if I could afford to eat at one of these Michelin starred places I wouldn't bother, with the exception of Raymond Blanc's place.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,252 times
I ve always wondering how much of Ramsey's anger and reactions are..
Over the top to add drama to the show.
I worked in Kitchens,getting upset is understandable making it personal like..
Ramsey does is unacceptable!

Im have no real knowledge of UK chefs besides Ramsey & Jamie Oliver.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM

Ramsey could certainly benefit from learning a few more adjectives.

Maybe he could try out a new dish with alphabet spaghetti, but with no 'f's in it- he'd be tongue tied!

So many of these 'celebrity' chefs are not to be seen in the kitchen of the place that gave them a name in the first place

Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,252 times
35 Quid for a bowl of soup?no thanks

Last edited by averagejoe76; 04-21-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
I went to "Aubergine" ( when Gordon Ramsay was not yet TV famous) and I must admit the food was absolutely sublime. I completely agree however that he is incredibly over-exposed and I find his swearing really tiresome as it is completely false. I have seen him completely moderate it depending on whom he speaks to and it is done simply for effect and to shock which bugs me. However he is still a great chef. A complete prat but a great chef.

I much prefer Raymond Blanc ( his restaurant "Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons" is nearby where I live and I have been a few times ) who is far more self effacing and so passionate about food. In my opinion at moment the best chef in the UK is probably Michael Caines for conventional food and Heston Blumenthal for the more out there gastronomy ( though his offshoot of "The Fat Duck " in Bray "The Hinds Head" was a huge disappointment , really quite banal) . Michel Roux Jr is also pretty darn good.

I'm a big fan of John Burton Race and Rick Stein for Seafood and Anton Mosiman,Pierre Marco White and Marcus Wareing are also sublime chefs.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Ramsey admitted that he was asked to be more agressive and swear more by the original tv producers of the UK version of kitchen nightmares!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
Ramsey admitted that he was asked to be more agressive and swear more by the original tv producers of the UK version of kitchen nightmares!
That's like asking the Kray twins to be more assertive.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Can't stand Gordon Ramsay. IMO the best chef in the UK is Heston Blumenthal... his 'Fat Duck' restaurant in Bray is always in the top few in the world and although expensive, you actually feel that it was worth the money.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 AM

183 posts, read 395,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Can't stand Gordon Ramsay. IMO the best chef in the UK is Heston Blumenthal... his 'Fat Duck' restaurant in Bray is always in the top few in the world and although expensive, you actually feel that it was worth the money.
Sort of agree with you there. I don't know why anyone would want to pay the prices that these celeb chefs charge, but Heston Blumenthals manner is alot calmer and friendlier than the likes of Gordon Ramsay. I remember a few years ago in an interview Gordon Ramsay saying he never wanted to be one of these celebrity chefs....

I liked the programme where Heston was trying to save Little Chef. In a way it shows possibly how out of touch with the public celeb chefs are. The publics reaction to some of his new dishes were hilarious especially when they thought they were going into LC for a quick fry up! Especially the woman who found her Lancashire hotpot had an oyster in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom