Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,948,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There are laws in the UK against encouraging hatred, racism, etc. It's called "incitement to racial hatred" and I know the definition of racism often includes hatred of a nation or nationality. It's not a "felony" because that word is not used in UK law but it is a crime and the UK is not the only country to implement it.

Incitement to ethnic or racial hatred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think the real concern in the UK is how the laws are being used and interpreted and whether that use and interpretation constitutes a real restriction of reasonable freedom of speech.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,033,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
Please take the Phelps!

But why not Martha Stewart? Cause of her stint in prison?
General Rule convicted felons are barred, if memory serves it's an automatic barring.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM

16,699 posts, read 17,470,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think the real concern in the UK is how the laws are being used and interpreted and whether that use and interpretation constitutes a real restriction of reasonable freedom of speech.
That is my concern and the concern of many.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,354,214 times
I wish you would take Michael Savage and not let him return home to the US!

Savage to "low-life, beer-swilling mutt" at UK Home Office: "[Y]ou can tell your Queen that I will call for a boycott of all travel to Britain by my 8 to 10 million listeners"

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Interesting article on BBC news.
UK has banned a number of people from entering most of them..
Being supportive of Terrorism but also included in the list.
Rapper Snoop Dog,Dutch Politician Geert Wilders,Martha Stewart.
And Talkradio's Michael Savage for "Provoking Criminal Attacks"
And fostering hatred.

Any thoughts?
Im for freedom of speech unless someone is making direct threats,etc
I defend freedom of speech even for those i disagree with 100%.
It's none of your business. The UK has their own laws.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,299,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Interesting article on BBC news.
UK has banned a number of people from entering most of them..
Being supportive of Terrorism but also included in the list.
Rapper Snoop Dog,Dutch Politician Geert Wilders,Martha Stewart.
And Talkradio's Michael Savage for "Provoking Criminal Attacks"
And fostering hatred.

Any thoughts?
Im for freedom of speech unless someone is making direct threats,etc
I defend freedom of speech even for those i disagree with 100%.
You know what? I'm tired of the ignorance of many Americans and their obsession with "freedom of speech", as if that's the be all and end all of life. Perhaps other countries do things differently, or have different freedoms that Americans don't have. Why can't Americans accept that most countries have a different idea of what "freedom" is anyway.

Besides, we all know that words can be damaging and potentially dangerous. Spreading hatred should not be encouraged and if the likes of Fred Phelps are banned from entering the UK, so what? No British person is prevented from going to Westboro Baptist Church's website, if they so wish. How dare you question who another country lets in and who they don't let in --- it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

/end rant.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's none of your business. The UK has their own laws.
Exactly, it's none of his/her business. If you don't like the way the British do things, don't go there....simple as that. Americans absolutely LOATHE any other country talking smack about the USA, yet they think it's OK to talk smack themselves. It's like they want to dish it out, but can't take any form of criticism themselves...sad.

The British are no less "free" than Americans and trust me, if they thought otherwise, they would have taken to the streets, because they are not afraid of the government, unlike some.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Honest dialogue is never "mindless", unless it is dishonestly crafted. My opinions are my own, arrived at after careful consideration and are obviously not shaped by the media or other commenters. I assume yours would be the same.
What short memories you Brits seem to have. Google "Cat Stevens' comments about Salman Rushdie" to refresh your recollections on how dear old kind-hearted hippie "Cat" changed once he converted to Islam. But at the time I thought banning him from the US was st*p*d, too, so concede half a point.

Cheers
Firstly, is the cutesy little "cheers" at the end some sort of attempt at sarcasm?

As for your opinions, I'd like you to explain to me how Cat Stevens is worse than Fred Phelps? What, just because he converted to a religion that you don't happen to like? How can you call yourself "pro-freedom" when you are basically associating someone with terrorists, just because they converted to Islam (a religion that clearly bothers you).

Next, can I ask you why you are so bothered by who the UK lets in / doesn't let in? Are you just trolling, or are you one of those people who have a warped sense of what freedom actually is?

You say your opinions are not shaped by the media, but that's not the impression that I'm getting here. I get the impression that your opinions are very much shaped by the likes of Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly.

If the "Brits" and the British way of doing things bothers you so much, don't go to the UK...simple as that. You are no one to judge how "free" the British are, because you are not British yourself and your opinions don't mean a thing to any British person.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,761,685 times
And on that note,(with visions of voliminous US no-fly lists and Farley Mowat dancing in our heads), everyone will have to accept that every country has standards as to who they will allow to enter and we'll move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom