Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Or has their accent changed noticeably? In Australia the accent has changed among most young people (teens and those in their 20s), but it doesn't seem to have happened (or only a bit) in the UK. I'm talking less about slang but I suppose that plays a factor too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,943 times
I lived in the UK for two years, and the accents I encountered among younger people were a bit more mild than their parents.

It seems like the Australian accent is dying a bit, more and more young people seem to have an American accent.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Accents in America have become more generalized over the past few decades. Regional accents are stronger among older people.

Television seems to be the culprit or the benefactor depending on your p.o.v.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,958 times
I read an article somewhere complaining Glasweigian kids talk like Eastenders.

I think there is a gender divide. Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch noticed his accent dropped as many haitches as possible, while his sister sounded like a duchess, and you would never think them siblings.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,985 times
Estuarine - drives me nuts when it's not come by naturally (i.e. being raised there). The most irritating example for me is Lily Allen - for goodness sake, the girl went to Hill House, Millfield and Bedales. Mind you, it's no different to how people affected a london accent in the 60s to be (and I can't believe I'm using this word) hip.

Estuary English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Estuarine - drives me nuts when it's not come by naturally (i.e. being raised there). The most irritating example for me is Lily Allen - for goodness sake, the girl went to Hill House, Millfield and Bedales. Mind you, it's no different to how people affected a london accent in the 60s to be (and I can't believe I'm using this word) hip.

Estuary English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Have you listened to very early David Bowie recordings from the mid - late 60s? He sounds about as rah rah posh as you can get, but over time that changed a lot and he sounds more Estuary. I get a real tickle out of it

Reminds me of some people I know in California who adopted hippie speak themselves in the 70s, and now their kids sound like valley girls and gangstas Wonder what kids will sound like in another 30 years and what will be cool then...

Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
Have you listened to very early David Bowie recordings from the mid - late 60s? He sounds about as rah rah posh as you can get, but over time that changed a lot and he sounds more Estuary. I get a real tickle out of it

Reminds me of some people I know in California who adopted hippie speak themselves in the 70s, and now their kids sound like valley girls and gangstas Wonder what kids will sound like in another 30 years and what will be cool then...
Really? If anything I thought he got more American as he aged.

In 'David Bowie' he sounded more 'posh Cockney' or lower middle class, same with Space Oddity, by the time of 'Hunky Dory' it was getting posher, by the time of Ziggy/Young Americans he'd gone all 'blue-eyed soul', and in later years well, he was just Bowie!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:42 AM

10 posts, read 15,058 times
The Cockney London accent has changed considerably. Now its become a mix of Cockney and Jamaican patois, whether youre White, Black, Asian. Sacha Baron Cohen did a great satire in the form of Ali G (before Bruno):

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 AM

^ Yeah, the East End is now mostly West Indian and Indian, I think.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,358,696 times
In North Staffordshire over the last 2 - 3 years there have been occasions when I've heard young people, mostly late teens and early twenties, talking and haven't been able to understand a word of what they're saying. Whether it's a broadening of the local accent or their picking up other accents and slang, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom