Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times

Advertisements

I notice that people tend to throw all cities into a pot and surburbs into another. My question is what constitutes a big city? small city? megacity?

Are there population limits for each one?

Is it based on just population? Or something more?

Could urban areas be combined? (e.g Milwaukee, Rockford, and Chicago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
My opinion is that there is only one megacity in the world right now, but soon there will be more mostly in the third world. Tokyo would be the megacity. China has some possibly going up, as well as Laos in Africa may become megacities.

If urban areas could be combined, that would be great as it would overall reduce taxes and increase services to poor African Americans and Hispanics in urban areas, but I don't think that would be allowed because it would cause some people to pay for others benefit through taxes.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
They really belong in the same pots--without cities, there could be no suburbs. Suburbs don't exist without cities.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
I notice that people tend to throw all cities into a pot and surburbs into another. My question is what constitutes a big city? small city? megacity?

Are there population limits for each one?

Is it based on just population? Or something more?

Could urban areas be combined? (e.g Milwaukee, Rockford, and Chicago)
Megacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it makes sense to bunch the cities and suburbs together, as they make up the large cities' metropolitan areas.

Aside from population, what else do you think contributes to a city being "mega"?

As far as combining urban areas - Megalopolis

Last edited by k_s; 07-23-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Suburbs don't exist without cities.
Try telling people in Metro Detroit that.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
Megacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it makes sense to bunch the cities and suburbs together, as they make up the large cities' metropolitan areas.

Aside from population, what else do you think contributes to a city being "mega"?

As far as combining urban areas - Megalopolis
For me. I feel 10 million is a good standard. That is Urban/Metro Area not just city proper.

By that, Canada has zero and the US has two with two on the cusp

Megacities
New York City
Los Angeles

Almost there
Chicago (9.8 million, 11.5 with Milwaukee)
Washington(5.5 million, 8.6 with Baltimore and Hagerstown)

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,637 times
Quote:
For me. I feel 10 million is a good standard. That is Urban/Metro Area not just city proper.

By that, Canada has zero and the US has two with two on the cusp

Megacities
New York City
Los Angeles

Almost there
Chicago (9.8 million, 11.5 with Milwaukee)
I think the "almost there" candidates are closer to Megalopolis than to Megacity.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Almost there
I'd say more than two are on the cusp since many MSAs/CSAs are just as big as Washington.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this list, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, and Miami all have larger metro areas than Washington. And places like Boston, Detroit, Phoenix, Atlanta, and San Francisco aren't too far behind when it comes to population growth.

I do agree that the metro area of a megacity is usually considered to be in excess of 10 mil. However I don't feel a "megacity" status determines that city's importance, so other than statistically speaking the term seems kinda useless.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM

I guess Megalopolis is a much better term.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Try telling people in Metro Detroit that.
Try telling people in any suburb that. Part of the appeal of the suburbs is because it's easy to fool yourself into believing that you're a country squire in a little town that is economically independent from the city, when in fact suburbs are economically dependent on cities in a parasitic role. Detroit is just an example of a city whose parasites have become such a burden that there is little left of the city but a dried-out husk.

But suburban residents would never believe it, even as the destruction of their food source and garbage pit (the city) results in their own downfall. It's a bit like putting a bag over your head and thinking you're invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning