Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times

Advertisements

San Francisco's parking is exceedingly low for a city its size--they were pretty much fully built out by the time the automobile became commonplace, have good public transit, and land is ridiculously expensive. So they're the best-case scenario (or worst-case, depending on which direction you're looking at it from) for parking scenarios. Friends in San Francisco tell stories about the great parking space they found five years ago the way fishermen tell stories about that huge fish they caught.

There are a few businesses with large parking lots--but generally there is a guard ensuring that the people who park there are actually shopping in the store, and they energetically tow away people who park there and shop elsewhere! But somehow I don't see a shortage of shoppers in San Francisco, even in places like Union Square where there are no open, free parking lots--it's all in paid parking structures and a handful of street parking spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
San Francisco's parking is exceedingly low for a city its size--they were pretty much fully built out by the time the automobile became commonplace, have good public transit, and land is ridiculously expensive. So they're the best-case scenario (or worst-case, depending on which direction you're looking at it from) for parking scenarios. Friends in San Francisco tell stories about the great parking space they found five years ago the way fishermen tell stories about that huge fish they caught.
Sounds like some Northeastern cities. San Francisco's size and density reminds me of Boston. San Francisco is a bit denser than Boston but newer, especially because an earthquake destroyed a lot of the older sections (I think the streets were made wider after the quake (?)

One thing I've noticed in San Francisco is compared to other dense pre-automobile cities, the old homes have been retrofitted with garages inside the structure. I haven't seen that done on the east coast, if there's a yard or an alley (except in New York which doesn't have alleys) there will be a detached garage added on to the property, but otherwise no garage and never inside the house itself. For example, this old neighborhood has lots of garages:

san francisco,ca - Google Maps

but in contrast this east coast block of a similar era has none:

boston,ma - Google Maps

It's odd, I'd expect there would be more of an interest in adding garages in a place that gets lots of snow in the winter. Maybe because California tends to lack basements?

Quote:
There are a few businesses with large parking lots--but generally there is a guard ensuring that the people who park there are actually shopping in the store, and they energetically tow away people who park there and shop elsewhere! But somehow I don't see a shortage of shoppers in San Francisco, even in places like Union Square where there are no open, free parking lots--it's all in paid parking structures and a handful of street parking spaces.
When I visited Cambridge, MA, I would park in a business with a large lot, leave my car overnight and hope they won't tow.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Did everyone notice Denver's nice, straight, gridded streets when they watched the football game today?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did everyone notice Denver's nice, straight, gridded streets when they watched the football game today?
Haha, yes! Enviable!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Haha, yes! Enviable!
I just had to get that in! They showed a shot of west Denver (to get the mountains in the picture) and it was very clear how straight the streets are.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
More on parking lots:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ar...ic-spaces.html

I thought the article was interesting. It cited a study saying that the nationwide average was 8 space per car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I visited Cambridge, MA, I would park in a business with a large lot, leave my car overnight and hope they won't tow.
The article mentions that Cambridge, MA has a parking maximum for the entire city. I would prefer neither a minimum or a maximum, but I can see why the purpose of both.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
More on parking lots:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ar...ic-spaces.html

I thought the article was interesting. It cited a study saying that the nationwide average was 8 space per car.

The article mentions that Cambridge, MA has a parking maximum for the entire city. I would prefer neither a minimum or a maximum, but I can see why the purpose of both.

Houston has 30 spaces per car, crazy

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
That was a great article (and photos).

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
So if a third are in parking lots, where are the other two thirds? On Street parking? Personal garages and driveways? Like if you had a really long driveway that's 5 cars long, would that count as 5 spots (or even 10 if it's double width)? I guess there's also underground parking and parking structures, but I would expect those to be less common than surface parking on a nation-wide scale.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Sounds like some Northeastern cities. San Francisco's size and density reminds me of Boston. San Francisco is a bit denser than Boston but newer, especially because an earthquake destroyed a lot of the older sections (I think the streets were made wider after the quake (?)

One thing I've noticed in San Francisco is compared to other dense pre-automobile cities, the old homes have been retrofitted with garages inside the structure. I haven't seen that done on the east coast, if there's a yard or an alley (except in New York which doesn't have alleys) there will be a detached garage added on to the property, but otherwise no garage and never inside the house itself. For example, this old neighborhood has lots of garages:

san francisco,ca - Google Maps

but in contrast this east coast block of a similar era has none:

boston,ma - Google Maps

It's odd, I'd expect there would be more of an interest in adding garages in a place that gets lots of snow in the winter. Maybe because California tends to lack basements?

SF has so many car unfriendly policies, that adding a garage ups your home value by about $80k. Neighborhoods have permits and street sweeping several times a week so you'd spend all the time looking for parking or moving your car. Add that to the fact a parking ticket is $100, and the math for a garage makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning